Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:49 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stop and THINK . . . Montana.
Ahhhh Yes.... The classic condescending attitude from he who purports to know everything...

Let's test your theory out, Mystic. I've heard you claim to communicate on a higher level on several different posts... So, how about this? Next time you're in a deep trance, ask the holy ghost what my social security number is. You can post it on the forum if he tells you. You have my permission.

Then, when that's done, since the universe is conscious, could you tell me what the organizing principles of the next lottery drawing will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Ahhhh Yes.... The classic condescending attitude from he who purports to know everything...
You do see condescension everywhere Troop . . . he mistakenly thought I was asking for proof that God does not exist. He should have known I would never ask for such a thing. I was asking for something very different and he should have realized it. That's what the stop and think was all about.
Quote:
Let's test your theory out, Mystic. I've heard you claim to communicate on a higher level on several different posts... So, how about this? Next time you're in a deep trance, ask the holy ghost what my social security number is. You can post it on the forum if he tells you. You have my permission.

Then, when that's done, since the universe is conscious, could you tell me what the organizing principles of the next lottery drawing will be?
Test are to prove things . . . I make no claims of proof FOR ( except personal experiences) . . . but I refuse to concede the default. There is no "foundation" for it (to use Montana's words).

Old 03-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
You do see condescension everywhere Troop . . . he mistakenly thought I was asking for proof that God does not exist. He should have known I would never ask for such a thing. I was asking for something very different and he should have realized it. That's what the stop and think was all about.
So, because he mistakenly thought something it was entirely his fault, right? In no way whatsoever could he have been mistaken because of a lack of clear communication on your part, right? I'm just saying... That could be a possibility, correct? In that same frame of reference, I don't see why there's a need to speak down to people in the fashion that you do.

And, by the way, how would he know you would never 'ask for such a thing?' You're just another poster of the many on the forum, Mystic. I'm sure he doesn't have a little "MysticPhD" sticky pad next to his computer with all the notes on your personality and beliefs. Plenty of people have asked that kind of question before. I don't see how he's supposed to distinguish between you and other believers who HAVE posed the question because it's a very common one.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:46 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Bunjee wrote:The obvious question that your response brings up is the fact that being an atheist wasn't fulfilling so apparently that's the reason you decided to become a believer. I shouldn't be speaking for you so please correct me if I'm wrong but that's how it sounds. From my point of view I simply want to face the reality of my life as a human being whether it's good or bad and then make the best of it. I don't feel particularly troubled that I know my life is going to end at some point and my consciousness will also end. I'm almost sixty years old and I just see myself as a realist and I refuse to try to believe something just because it feels good. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, I'm just stating my own point of view.
You're correct in not assuming irrational fear and trembling has anything to do with my conversion. Quite the opposite, in fact. It started when I began to do a lot of gardening. But that's a whole different story. I also have a rather hybrid sense of eternity, which also may veer too much off-topic (but not really; it's just a lot to have to embody in words).

Edited to add: BTW, MontanaGuy, thank you for not making assumptions.

Last edited by Bunjee; 03-14-2009 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 03-14-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Why so hostile, Troop? I do not speak down to anyone . . . but I am used to requiring my students to think about what was asked and request clarification before answering. Old habits die hard (or not at all) at my age, Troop. Sorry Montana . . . if I came across as speaking down to you.
I'm not being hostile, Mystic. Really, I'm not. I was trying to put that as nicely as possible because I really don't want the thread or the forum to be hostile. Seriously... I really don't. But, Montana is indeed a friend of mine and I think his opinions are often very good and worth listening to (even if not agreed with) and not meant to condescend to. That's all.

I understand that old habits die hard. At my young age I have a few habits that already won't die (like picking my nose ). But, really, I think you have some valuable insights and I think you have a lot of knowledge and quite honestly I'm sure many people on this forum could learn a lot about what you have to say because I do think you have a lot of knowledge.

In fact, I'd be thrilled to learn more about physics and math from you but not if you're going to be condescending to me or my friends.

Quote:
Now you are just nit picking, Troop. Have you been made a moderator or something. If not get a life. GFY.
I'm not nit picking. I was just saying there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why he didn't know you would never ask a specific question.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:47 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Why so hostile, Troop? I do not speak down to anyone . . . but I am used to requiring my students to think about what was asked and request clarification before answering. Old habits die hard (or not at all) at my age, Troop. Sorry Montana . . . if I came across as speaking down to you. Now you are just nit picking, Troop. Have you been made a moderator or something. If not get a life. GFY.

sorry, Mystic, it appears to be a thread (threat?) with

MEN AT WORK .....+

Old 03-14-2009, 08:14 PM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
Now you are just nit picking, Troop. Have you been made a moderator or something. If not get a life. GFY
I'm not nit picking. I was just saying there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why he didn't know you would never ask a specific question.
You DO know what the GFY means now, right . . . especially with the smiley? We're cool, Troop . . . I was just feeling picked on in your last several posts to me, that's all. .

Old 03-14-2009, 08:19 PM

598 posts, read 916,961 times
My thread demanded a "testable evidence".

Has any theist been able to provide a convincing statement like:

Quote:
This is testable: __________ shows God's existence. This is how it can be tested: __________.
?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
You DO know what the GFY means now, right . . . especially with the smiley? We're cool, Troop . . . I was just feeling picked on in your last several posts to me, that's all. .
Yes, I'm well aware of what it means.

I was not picking on you. I promise. I may have come across a little defensive but that was just me sticking up for MG which I apologize for if it sounded badly.

P.S. - GFY!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:31 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
My thread demanded a "testable evidence".

Has any theist been able to provide a convincing statement like:

?

adjust your brains!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality