Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, perhaps Maitreya is the embodiment. But who is to say Maitreya has only taken one form? I know people today who have had him manifest a body and walk in off the street.

I don't think we should limit his powers to just one person 2,000 years ago.
Then show me in the "spiritual fossil record" where this expectation of multiple maitreyas was prophesied and confirmed over millennia by other validating events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Then show me in the "spiritual fossil record" where this expectation of multiple maitreyas was prophesied and confirmed over millennia by other validating events.
I keep hearing you reference the "spiritual fossil record". Do you mind explaining exactly what this is? I cannot find any information about this in an internet search.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I keep hearing you reference the "spiritual fossil record". Do you mind explaining exactly what this is? I cannot find any information about this in an internet search.
That is my name for the collective myths, legends, and scriptures that have been produced from our earliest awakening of consciousness. It contains the "cognitive pattern" that reveals how our DNA/RNA genetic and epigenetic changes evolved our spiritual awareness . . . just as our physical evolution was reflected in our DNA . . . but much easier to decipher than central nervous system changes.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:54 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Maybe that "fossil record" was necessary for one tradition's path. Perhaps there are equally as enlightened people walking the earth today whose mission is not for outright, in your face, global transformation but rather working behind the scenes.

I just struggle to believe that people in remote villages or in China or who didn't grow up in the deep South (broad stereotype, I know) of the U.S. are forbidden from accessing the highest path.

Perhaps Jesus was the highest embodiment to walk the earth. Perhaps not. My only point is that it's clear that the wisdom he conveyed lies at the heart of all humanity and is accessible to all, be they atheist or whatever else. It is called the "ageless wisdom" for a reason.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Perhaps Jesus was the highest embodiment to walk the earth. Perhaps not. My only point is that it's clear that the wisdom he conveyed lies at the heart of all humanity and is accessible to all, be they atheist or whatever else. It is called the "ageless wisdom" for a reason.
WE do not disagree here. When Jesus was reborn as Spirit . . . His consciousness became available to us ALL . . . wherever we are, whatever we profess to believe, and whatever path we choose down the funnel. BUT . . . IF we achieve enlightenment and connection to God it will be through the consciousness of Jesus . . . regardless how we got there. It is much easier to start out there, though.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
When supernatural forces communicate with the living, it is channeling.

The Bible says that it is okay to channel God, and no other spirits. But Christians most definantly are channeling when they attempt to pray to God.

Here is a defintion of channeling:

Channeling:

Receiving messages and inspiration from discarnate entities.
Show me the scripture that says that it is ok to channel God?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is my name for the collective myths, legends, and scriptures that have been produced from our earliest awakening of consciousness. It contains the "cognitive pattern" that reveals how our DNA/RNA genetic and epigenetic changes evolved our spiritual awareness . . . just as our physical evolution was reflected in our DNA . . . but much easier to decipher than central nervous system changes.

Well, a spiritual fossil record is midleading and irrelevent for a few reasons.

First of all, the vast majority of spiritual people, and spiritual leaders did not leave any historical record. Many of them lived obscure lives, taking on a small number of students and then dying, or leaving this world, quietly. Many of them started small religious groups, and they do not care about, or want to be known around the world.

Being a spiritual guru is not all about making the biggest mark on the world and get the most pages in history. Many spiritual masters have detached from this material world and are focusing on doing things in astral planes. Some of them simply think that mankind is not ready to hear thier message, and I can see why.

Second, there have been entire cultures of people who were extremely spiritual. But they were completely massacred. And most of their spiritual traditions were lost. Examples of this would be Toltcs, Mayans, some tribes of American Indians, and other peoples who were massacred in wars or takeovers.

Then of course. In the name of Christianity, many spiritual leaders were murdered and their legacies were destroyed. They were erased from history because they were seen as "blasphemous" and contradicting the word of God.

So for these reasons. A spiritual fossil record is irrelevent. It is not an accurate view of what has really happned on this Earth. It is a "popularity contest" of gurus throughout history if anything.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I am not a Christian, I don't turn to the scriptures for everything, but let me repeat myself using simple logic.

Here is the definition of channeling:

Channeling:

Receiving messages and inspiration from discarnate entities.

So how is this any different than praying, or hearing the voice of God? It is no different, you just call it "praying" instead of "channeling" but it's the exact same thing.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Funky's point, I believe, was that by praying to God and allowing yourself to be guided by the Holy Spirit, you are channeling.

You label channeling by a very narrow definition, but any direct connection with the larger mystery is channeling.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
So for these reasons. A spiritual fossil record is irrelevent. It is not an accurate view of what has really happned on this Earth. It is a "popularity contest" of gurus throughout history if anything.
Your view clearly embraces the idea that there is NO specific design for the evolution of our species spirituality . . . essentially the nihilist science view of purposelessness and randomness. We fundamentally disagree about that. It is BECAUSE I DO believe in the existence of that design that I looked for it in the spiritual fossil record and followed its evolution and acceptance by progressively more capable intellects up to today. God would not be interested in only a few isolated groups achieving spiritual success . . . the masses are the objective . . . hence the "survival of the fittest" applies to our spiritual evolution as well. You can dismiss the popularity aspect . . . but I view it as vital validation . . . especially over millennia in the way it was predicted and expected to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality