U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,696,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Jesus was a great spiritual teacher and a very wise man. But he was not God.

I find the whole concept that Jesus was the embodiment of God to be one of the most ridiculous aspects of Christianity. God is a force that controls this entire universe, the most powerful, omnipotent and immense force imaginable.

Yet some of you think that this infinite power took the human form. And came to Earth for a while to teach us?

Jesus Christ was just like the thousands of other very smart, enlightened spiritual teachers out there. No more no less.

If you do think JC was God, I would love to hear what makes you think this, and how you think this is possible.
Because the bible says it.
Because Jesus claimed it.
Because the prophets fortold it.
Because the disciples are witnesses of him.

It is possible because God created man in his image. So it was not difficult for him to come in his own image to earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 AM

4,669 posts, read 1,618,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Jesus was a great spiritual teacher and a very wise man. But he was not God.

I find the whole concept that Jesus was the embodiment of God to be one of the most ridiculous aspects of Christianity. God is a force that controls this entire universe, the most powerful, omnipotent and immense force imaginable.

Yet some of you think that this infinite power took the human form. And came to Earth for a while to teach us?

Jesus Christ was just like the thousands of other very smart, enlightened spiritual teachers out there. No more no less.

If you do think JC was God, I would love to hear what makes you think this, and how you think this is possible.

Your logic is inconsistent. He claimed to be God. A great teacher doesn't make false claims.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 AM

24,878 posts, read 18,318,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Your logic is inconsistent. He claimed to be God. A great teacher doesn't make false claims.
Tell me, how many men over the course of history have claimed to be God?....Hundreds? Maybe thousands? False claims are made all the time, and I really doubt that Christ was the first.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Tell me, how many men over the course of history have claimed to be God?....Hundreds? Maybe thousands? False claims are made all the time, and I really doubt that Christ was the first.

You're right--as a matter of fact in the first century to claim divinity was not all that uncommon. That's why there aren't any quotes where he said specifically "I am God, worship me" in any of the Gospels.

But he did claim divinity--and he backed it up with miracles, as well as rising from the dead.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:51 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,696,715 times
Quote:
You're right--as a matter of fact in the first century to claim divinity was not all that uncommon. That's why there aren't any quotes where he said specifically "I am God, worship me" in any of the Gospels.

But he did claim divinity--and he backed it up with miracles, as well as rising from the dead.
And ascending to heaven in plain sight of 500 people.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:48 PM

9,999 posts, read 8,869,168 times
^^
Is that a God, or is that just a highly evolved human being demonstrating the full potential of physics? Masters in Hinduism and Buddhism are capable of levitating. Masters in Islam are capable of sustaining massive amounts of pain without feeling a thing. Native American shamans have been able to turn tornadoes.

When a primitive, illiterate society sees something of that nature, they are of course going to call it a miracle and turn that floating individual into a god.

It would be like if an advanced race from another planet visited us, we would turn them into gods and ask them to solve all our problems for us and worship them as supreme beings.

No one's been able to answer this question: If the Bible is the Word of God, what did Jesus tell people to use for the three centuries until the Bible was written and voted upon by men?

The Bible wasn't around when Jesus made his mark. He must have told them something beyond what's in a book. He may not have even said he's divinity. That very well could have been written by men to use as a catalyst around which they could build a religion.

Nikk, you just seem to be parroting what you were told to believe. Think through these questions. I genuinely look forward to your response.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
^^
Is that a God, or is that just a highly evolved human being demonstrating the full potential of physics? Masters in Hinduism and Buddhism are capable of levitating.

Native American shamans have been able to turn tornadoes.
Sorry...I don't believe that for a second.
Quote:
When a primitive, illiterate society sees something of that nature, they are of course going to call it a miracle and turn that floating individual into a god.
That was not the only miracle he did. The resurrection was the big one.
Quote:
It would be like if an advanced race from another planet visited us, we would turn them into gods and ask them to solve all our problems for us and worship them as supreme beings.

No one's been able to answer this question: If the Bible is the Word of God, what did Jesus tell people to use for the three centuries until the Bible was written and voted upon by men?
I'll answer it. Pay attention:

The apostles preached to the crowds for about 30 years. Read the Book of Acts. It details the start of it.

After about 30 years, they realized they would die before he returned, so they decided to write 'em down--and we have the Gospels. Prior to that, actually, many of the letters in the NT were written by Paul and the others.

The OT was compiled and written by about 500 BC.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:07 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,066,207 times
Quote:
Great do teachers can and do make false claims. What makes you think that they are above doing such things?

Also, I think that what Jesus said was taken out of context. I think he was talking about how he is a Godly being. How he is enlightened and in that sense, he is God. Many Buddhist and Hindu holy men have said the same such things.

But I do not think that he was the one and only God, that idea just seems beyond unbelievable. And I think that this is a huge misinterpretation.

As for the title of this thread. I titled it this way because this is what I firmly believe. Overall I try to be a very, very open-minded person. But when I hear this dogma and this blind faith that JC was God, without any solid reasoning behind it, I find it hard to just accept it.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Because the bible says it.
Because Jesus claimed it.
Because the prophets fortold it.
Because the disciples are witnesses of him.

It is possible because God created man in his image. So it was not difficult for him to come in his own image to earth.
God created man in his image? Sure, but he also created every other plant and animal in his image.

Humans are NOT special. We are one planet out of trillions and trillions in this universe. Do you think that JC is going to visit every single other planet with intelligent life on it too?

This point of view seems to assume that human beings are the most important species in the whole univere. I doubt that.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 PM

I just found this in another thread. I pretty much sums it up:

IS JESUS REALLY GOD? (http://www.ummah.net/what-is-islam/prophets/08.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality