Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,666,705 times

Advertisements

If Moses was rescued and raised by an Egyptian princess as a baby, how did he learn about the God of Abraham? Do you think he might have been raised to worship Egyptian Gods? Could the OT be a combination of the Hebrew's God and the Egyptian's Gods?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:02 PM

22,997 posts, read 34,260,746 times
Moses might have been raised to worship Egyptian gods, but when the one true God spoke to Moses in Exodus 3:4 he intermediately knew who it was. And the answer to your question, Could the OT be a combination of the Hebrew's God and the Egyptian's Gods? The answer is no.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Moses might have been raised to worship Egyptian gods, but when the one true God spoke to Moses in Exodus 3:4 he intermediately knew who it was. And the answer to your question, Could the OT be a combination of the Hebrew's God and the Egyptian's Gods? The answer is no.
Moses must have had a LONG conversation with God there then to know what all to write about in Genesis.

BTW, are you aware of all the similarities between the ancient Egyptian, "Book of the Dead" and the Bible?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:14 PM

Similarities between the ancient Egyptian, "Book of the Dead" and the Bible.

Rediscover Ancient Egypt - Ancient Egypt and Biblical Similarities

Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 PM

22,997 posts, read 34,260,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Moses must have had a LONG conversation with God there then to know what all to write about in Genesis.

BTW, are you aware of all the similarities between the ancient Egyptian, "Book of the Dead" and the Bible?
He got to know Him over time, in fact God called Moses His friend Exodus 33:17.
Maybe there are similarities, but only one, the Bible was written by God.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,127,475 times
Very interesting. Thanks for posting that link.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,778,329 times
Quote:
If Moses was rescued and raised by an Egyptian princess as a baby, how did he learn about the God of Abraham? Do you think he might have been raised to worship Egyptian Gods? Could the OT be a combination of the Hebrew's God and the Egyptian's Gods?
It's really remarkable. See, Moses was born of a Hebrew/Jewish woman. At that time, Pharoh declared that all male jews be killed at birth (to keep their population in his country under control). Moses' mother and the midwife did not follow this directive and instead put Moses in the basket near to where he would be found by Pharoh's daughter when she would go to the Nile to bathe.

The Pharoh's daughter found him and took him in and made him her son. However, what's glossed over is that Moses' mother was the one who actually raised him and was paid to do it. She was the nurse maid. More than likely she was the "nanny". This is how I believe he learned of the God of Abraham, the Hebrew God, the one true God.

Yes, I'm sure as he grew older he was educated in the same manner as other royal Egyptians and learned of their belief system. But I'm confident his mother's instructions early in his life prepared him for his encounter with the one true God later in his life.

Based on my biblical worldview, I don't believe the Hebrew God is an amalgam of the Hebrew God and Egyptian gods, as you put it. It is my belief the God of Abraham was around long before the Egyptian gods (from the beginning) and more than likely the Egyptian gods were an abberation of the one, true God of the bible; whom the Hebrews worshiped and who later became flesh as Jesus Christ.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,014,962 times
Quote:
Moses learned about God in a much different way than we all get to, so the story goes. God actually cared to talk to Moses.. we get to learn second hand from Moses and what God said to him. Moses is just that much better than the rest of us.

But then, how much better could someone be, without the test of faith?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:22 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,436,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
... Moses' mother was the one who actually raised him and was paid to do it. She was the nurse maid.

Indeed, that's the story. The OP missed lots of Sunday School, it seems.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:12 AM

148 posts, read 293,466 times
1. Tâ­Sîn­Mîm

2. These are Verses of the manifest Book (that makes clear truth from falsehood, good from evil, etc.).

3. We recite to you some of the news of Mûsa (Moses) and Fir'aun (Pharaoh) in truth, for a people who believe.

4. Verily, Fir'aun (Pharaoh) exalted himself in the land and made its people sects, weakening (oppressing) a group (i.e. Children of Israel) among them, killing their sons, and letting their females live. Verily, he was of the Mufsidûn (i.e. those who commit great sins and crimes, oppressors, tyrants, etc.).

5. And We wished to do a favour to those who were weak (and oppressed) in the land, and to make them rulers and to make them the inheritors,

6. And to establish them in the land, and We let Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and Hâmân and their hosts receive from them that which they feared.

7. And We inspired the mother of Mûsa (Moses), (saying): "Suckle him [Mûsa (Moses)], but when you fear for him, then cast him into the river and fear not, nor grieve. Verily! We shall bring him back to you, and shall make him one of (Our) Messengers."

8. Then the household of Fir'aun (Pharaoh) picked him up, that he might become for them an enemy and a (cause of) grief. Verily! Fir'aun (Pharaoh), Hâmân and their hosts were sinners.

9. And the wife of Fir'aun (Pharaoh) said: "A comfort of the eye for me and for you. Kill him not, perhaps he may be of benefit to us, or we may adopt him as a son." And they perceive not (the result of that).

10. And the heart of the mother of Mûsa (Moses) became empty [from every thought, except the thought of Mûsa (Moses)]. She was very near to disclose his (case, i.e. the child is her son), had We not strengthened her heart (with Faith), so that she might remain as one of the believers.

11. And she said to his [Musa's (Moses)] sister: "Follow him." So she (his sister) watched him from a far place secretly, while they perceived not.

12. And We had already forbidden (other) foster suckling mothers for him, until she (his sister came up and) said: "Shall I direct you to a household who will rear him for you, and sincerely they will look after him in a good manner?"

13. So did We restore him to his mother, that she might be delighted, and that she might not grieve, and that she might know that the Promise of Allâh is true. But most of them know not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality