Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
You are very confused and dont understand God. God created angels and angels are messengers of God. If you read the bible then it will tell you these things.

You can channel and talk to spirits, but God said that when you channel you are not talking to Him or his angels. They are evil spirits, that did not come from me, it came from His word. The problem is you dont know because you use the term I think. You are not making much since, and I'm tired of going back and forth with someone who seems to be kind of clueless.
I understand God very much. I just look beyond The Bible for God. That does NOT mean that I don't understand God, just because I do not go along with the Bible 100%. That is an illogical conclusion you came to.

Praying to God is a form of channeling. Look at the definition of channeling. "Speaking with discarnate beings". How is this different than channeling? The only difference with what entity or power you are attepting to speak with.

I sound clueless? Well then let's continue this talk a bit more so you can enlighten me with your great wisdom here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 02:59 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I understand God very much. I just look beyond The Bible for God. That does NOT mean that I don't understand God, just because I do not go along with the Bible 100%. That is an illogical conclusion you came to.

Praying to God is a form of channeling. Look at the definition of channeling. "Speaking with discarnate beings". How is this different than channeling? The only difference with what entity or power you are attepting to speak with.

I sound clueless? Well then let's continue this talk a bit more so you can enlighten me with your great wisdom here.
God is not limited to the bible. I prefer to stop going around in circles with you.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:42 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,281 times
Quote:
I totally believe that ou are in touch with some power and it is manifesting in your life in magical ways.

But what makes you think that it is actually "God"?
I know it is God because we have a relationship. I prayed and asked Jesus Christ to come into my life years ago. And He did. When I pray to Him, I always adress Him by His name, Jesus, or sometimes Jesus Christ. If I was in error, He would of pointed that out to me long ago.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
What you all don't understand is that people from all walks of life - Eastern traditions, Indigenous traditions, etc... hear these voices of which you speak and are guided by forces of such.

The fact that you attribute them specifically to "God" or that Jesus has a certain "tone" different from your self-proclaimed "evil spirits" is you trying to corral the universe into your worldview. You simply don't know the difference between an angel and a spirit guide. Neither are necessarily good or evil.

Shawn, let's keep this conversation from going the way every other fundamenalist conversation goes, which is "The Bible says it, so it's right".

You don't know who rewrote the Bible or when or what was voted out when it was made, so you can't stand behind your assertions. Let's just leave that out of this conversation for once.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,781 times
Quote:
I have been hearing Christians say that they pray to God and have a personal relationship with him.

I have been thinking about this. I have been to Churches many times, i've met countless Christians, and i've seen many many Christian prayers. I've seen groupprayers in churches and individual people pray. And honestly, I do not believe that most of these Christians are speaking with God at all.

In Christian prayer. They will often fold their hands and close their eyes, speak a prayer for a few minutes, and the AMEN! It's over and they claim that that spoke with God. They did not enter into a meditation, they did not relax and quiet the mind, the did not spend very much time at all in "prayer", the whole thing feels like a very weak ritual.

So here is my question to Christians. When you prey to God/Jesus, what is it like? What do you hear? What do you feel? How do you actually know that you are hearing Gods voice? How do you know for sure that Jesus Christ is behind all this? Tell about how you pray and what the experience is like.

Thanks.
I think that praying to God can take 5 seconds or 5 hours, just depends on what you need to say/thank Him for at that moment. You say you don't think they're speaking to God at all...who do you think they're speaking to?

When I pray, there is peace, I am able to thank Him for all He's done, I let Him know my needs/wants. I do not hear anything audible. I know Jesus is the mediator of my prayer because of my faith in the Bible.

Quote:

Ok, you just changed the definition of channeling. In the other thread you said it meant receiving messages and inspiration FROM discarnate beings. Now you're saying it's us speaking WITH them. I believe it to be the former. In which case, it is not the same as praying to God.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:34 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,418 times
Quote:
I have been hearing Christians say that they pray to God and have a personal relationship with him.

I have been thinking about this. I have been to Churches many times, i've met countless Christians, and i've seen many many Christian prayers. I've seen groupprayers in churches and individual people pray. And honestly, I do not believe that most of these Christians are speaking with God at all.

In Christian prayer. They will often fold their hands and close their eyes, speak a prayer for a few minutes, and the AMEN! It's over and they claim that that spoke with God. They did not enter into a meditation, they did not relax and quiet the mind, the did not spend very much time at all in "prayer", the whole thing feels like a very weak ritual.

So here is my question to Christians. When you prey to God/Jesus, what is it like? What do you hear? What do you feel? How do you actually know that you are hearing Gods voice? How do you know for sure that Jesus Christ is behind all this? Tell about how you pray and what the experience is like.

Thanks.
meditation and altered states of mind don't mean you're praying. God just wants us to ask him.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
So now meditation is bad?

Geez. Can't anyone do ANYTHING that doesn't completely comply with what you do?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So now meditation is bad?

Geez. Can't anyone do ANYTHING that doesn't completely comply with what you do?

What is meditation?

The Biblical definition of it is is not to "empty the mind". Emptying the mind, special breathing techniques and getting in a "zone" is not Biblical.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,021,754 times
God doesn't hear our words when we pray. That's why meditation is so important. Jesus meditated quite often all day, everyday. God knows our intent before the words are spoken. I meditate and have been guided by my God Fragment and other guides. I haven't heard from God though. He hears my intent and gives me what I need to sustain me throughout this earth life. God doesn't grant material prayers but if you ask for the things you need like guidance, faithfulness, Love, tolerance, strength, etc, he will grant those in a heartbeat.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,021,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
meditation and altered states of mind don't mean you're praying. God just wants us to ask him.

You empty your thoughts so that you can hear God. That's the point of the empty mind. If you have all kinds of thoughts going through your head, you cannot hear God. It's impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality