U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM

10,833 posts, read 12,193,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It's my understanding that the editing may be accurate but the ones who actually translated the manuscripts were in error of what is to be understood.
Take revelations. Most people belive it to be true when it was actually a vision that John had and it means nothing for this time. And I understand it, it was written by three different people. The story itself may have been what was copied but the meaning was mistranslated.
Some of the miracles that were performed by Jesus was just someone elses account of what happened. Jesus didn't tell about the miracles because that wasn't His mission.
Lazarus was in a coma, not dead but most believe Jesus raissed him from the dead.
Have you ever wondered where the term graveyard shift came from? People who were thought to be dead were burried alive so they started tying bells, (I think that's right) to the people in the coffins so that when they woke up, they could be unburied.
Jesus walking on water didn't happen either but people believe that to be true becaue someone mistranslated what really happened. He was in shallow water and it appeared to look as if He walked on the water.
The fish that Jesus fed all the 5000, or however many, people with was Jesus actually pointing them to a place where a school of fish were at so when they dropped the nets, they were able to catch the fish to feed the people.
Mistranslations are what makes the bible wrong. If it were translated right, we wouldn't have any problems but people get caught up in what someone else believes and then they take it on as their truth. Then before ya know it, generations are believing the same thing over and over again so that the truth of the matter is way down there somewherre that no one can get to.
Love your posts Rev!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:15 PM

4,669 posts, read 1,515,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It's my understanding that the editing may be accurate but the ones who actually translated the manuscripts were in error of what is to be understood.
Take revelations. Most people belive it to be true when it was actually a vision that John had and it means nothing for this time. And I understand it, it was written by three different people. The story itself may have been what was copied but the meaning was mistranslated.
The fact that you don't know the name of the book is telling. You probably haven't given it a lot of actual thought.

John's vision has a lot to do with now. The vision was of future and end time events. I have no idea where you're getting the idea that there were 3 different authors.

Quote:

Some of the miracles that were performed by Jesus was just someone elses account of what happened. Jesus didn't tell about the miracles because that wasn't His mission.
The miracles validated him as God.
Quote:

Lazarus was in a coma, not dead but most believe Jesus raissed him from the dead.
He was dead for 3 days. His sisters said the body would be smelling if they rolled the rock away. The idea that he was in a coma is just ridiculous....nobody puts their family member who is in a coma in a cave and blocks it up with a rock.
Quote:

Jesus walking on water didn't happen either but people believe that to be true becaue someone mistranslated what really happened. He was in shallow water and it appeared to look as if He walked on the water.
Again...a long way to go to try to explain it. Are you serious about this one? The disciples were in water deep enough for a boat. Peter was also able to get scared and sink in said water. Your explanation is just not reasonable. You'd make more sense if you pretended Jesus never existed at all, as some atheists are doing now.

Quote:

The fish that Jesus fed all the 5000, or however many, people with was Jesus actually pointing them to a place where a school of fish were at so when they dropped the nets, they were able to catch the fish to feed the people.
Nevermind what the text actually says? LOL...you're funny.
Quote:

Mistranslations are what makes the bible wrong. If it were translated right, we wouldn't have any problems but people get caught up in what someone else believes and then they take it on as their truth. Then before ya know it, generations are believing the same thing over and over again so that the truth of the matter is way down there somewherre that no one can get to.
We've got texts pretty close to the originals and in comparing them we can know what the originals were. Your suggestions are just silly.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:15 PM

8,009 posts, read 3,739,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
2% error? No. 2% text lost? Yes. In the original text it was perfect.

The 2% in question does not challenge any doctrines.

Not what was stated. Just yet another attempt to spin doctrine into something that you want to believe. You do not have an actual "original text" so you put forth supposition from your intimate knowledge of your unknowable god. Pathetic.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Not what was stated. Just yet another attempt to spin doctrine into something that you want to believe. You do not have an actual "original text" so you put forth supposition from your intimate knowledge of your unknowable god. Pathetic.

We have enough texts from within 100 years of them that we can compare them and know what the originals were.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM

24,592 posts, read 17,757,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
We have enough texts from within 100 years of them that we can compare them and know what the originals were.
To begin with nobody really knows who actually wrote the bible. The traditional explanation is that the Five Books of Moses were written by Moses himself.

Documentary theorists see a much more complicated story, with four different texts by four different authors (although some think "schools" of authors might be responsible for each text rather than a single author). These were later combined by an editor, called the Redactor. The Redactor sometimes put the different authors' stories one after the other (as with the creation stories) and sometimes interwove them (as with the two stories of Noah's Flood and of Joseph's mistreatment by his brothers). The Redactor also added comments like "Now it came to pass, after these things . . ." as a transition between sections.

The Straight Dope: Who wrote the Bible? (Part 1)

Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM

1,934 posts, read 3,128,831 times
Quote:
You admit to 2% error (although where you came up with that figure I do not know). Any error in your perfect book casts doubt on the rest of it.
You know, I shouldn't have put that out there because now it's going to be twisted and misapplied and misunderstood. Actually, it's closer to 99% reliability and that's just regarding textual reliability between the modern bible we have today and the original manuscripts. And I got that from the links I provided above. But those links are not the only ones to say such. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the word of God is wholly reliable.

Quote:
Believers claim the bible to be true in every aspect. Does this mean that the admitted metaphors are the truth? Does it mean that your intrepretation is the only truth?
The bible is truth, 100% reliable, 100% infallible and 100% authoritative on all topics upon which it touches. I firmly believe that and it hasn't been proven to me otherwise. So I guess I'll stick with what I know and what I've studied and learned on the subject.

Metaphors are metaphors, similies are similies, historical prose is historical prose, figures of speech are figures of speech... you read it and understand it as it was intended to be written and understood. We do this every day with any other book. It's not difficult to do with the bible. Understanding it's spiritual truths and applications to our lives is why we study the word. The more you study the more you'll understand. Of course it cannot be completley understood without the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I think that you are simply in denial if you think that The Bible is infallable. It is simply not true.
And I completely disagree with your version of truth... just as you do mine.

Quote:
But to say that it is 100% true, should not be questioned, and is totally accurate. That is simply dogma. I sense a desperate clinging to the book. It's strange.
The only thing I cling to is my Lord & saviour, Jesus Christ. I don't worship the bible. I accept it for what it is, God's word. I never said not to question it. If you don't question it, how can you know why you believe it? It has been shown to be completely accurate time and time again. It's only strange to non-believers because of what this verse says: BibleGateway.com: Search for a Bible passage in over 35 languages and 50 versions.

Quote:
The Bible is a book that controls peoples behavior. People have unshakable faith in the faith and follow its rules. People know this, and many people have exploited Christians by using this as a tool.
The Bible does not control my behavior -- I do. The bible informs me of God's will and the purpose of my life and how to be in agreement with God. It provides me knowledge about God and his character .. who He is and why I need Him.

And those who do use it to exploit others more susepctible to just going along with the crowd will answer for what they've done. Just as those that simply follow along and don't test and question what they're taught will answer for their actions as well because we are told to question and test all teachings against God's word.

Yes, over time wolves have infiltrated the faith and pass themselves off as "Christian" without believing what they supposedly stand for. I can think of a few right now. This was foretold and should be expected. Just another reason to not have blind faith and test everything against the Word. Without the word, how could you know what's true and what's false?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,027,659 times
All of the things that Jesus did do not prove he was God.

There are countless tales of Shamans, Sorcerers and witches doing the exact sames things tht Jesus did. It just means that they have mysticl powers. It does not mean they are God.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,513,942 times
Quote:

There are countless tales of Shamans, Sorcerers and witches doing the exact sames things tht Jesus did. It just means that they have mysticl powers. It does not mean they are God.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:43 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,027,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Instead of using a silly looking emoticon, why not just tell me where i'm wrong with words? I think that what I said was entirely true.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:

They give a pretty good idea that he was divine.

Them, and the fact that he rose from the dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality