Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:07 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,646 times

Advertisements

Most christians haven't the slightest idea what sabbath aka shabatt means nor do they care. They are products of religions
void of scriptural and hebrew roots never recovered from the slam dunking by their unknown buddy Constantine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Which is great because then you can pick which bits of the Bible you like. And that applies to the Gospels, too.
Actually, in the context of the entire Bible, the commands not to do commerce on the Sabbath was given to a particular people in a particular time and setting. The Christians of the New Testament were not bound to obey the Sabbath -- certainly not the Gentiles that embraced Christianity. I mean..it's not that complicated...just read it in context.
Quote:

Still, I presume at least that you are on the same page as me in this: nobody should be obliged to cease trading on either Friday, Saturday or Sunday just because someone feels their religious beliefs are offended by it.
If a town wanted to prohibit business activity on whatever given day, they have the legal right to do so. If they don't want certain kinds of businesses to be within city limits, they have that right. If they want to make laws and regulations regarding the things that happen in a certain establishment, they have that right. If that is the way they want to run their town, who are you to suggest that they cannot? We give local jurisdictions the right to decide how to regulate commerce.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:00 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually, in the context of the entire Bible, the commands not to do commerce on the Sabbath was given to a particular people in a particular time and setting. The Christians of the New Testament were not bound to obey the Sabbath -- certainly not the Gentiles that embraced Christianity. I mean..it's not that complicated...just read it in context.
By 'context' you of course mean 'whatever suits Christianity' - including sidelining any of God's commandments if they don't appeal and even reinstating as a shibboleth and commanded requirement (Blue laws0 some that Jesus seemed to argue (sabbath) were not as important as doing good.

Quote:
If a town wanted to prohibit business activity on whatever given day, they have the legal right to do so. If they don't want certain kinds of businesses to be within city limits, they have that right. If they want to make laws and regulations regarding the things that happen in a certain establishment, they have that right. If that is the way they want to run their town, who are you to suggest that they cannot? We give local jurisdictions the right to decide how to regulate commerce.
Who I am is someone who can smell a BS argument a mile off. And I'm sniffing one right now. A town wants to prohibit this or that - but they must have a good reason, and while mandatory days off for staff is a good one, keeping the sabbath holy is not. Especially as even Jesus saw it as not too important.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:38 PM

63,766 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
By 'context' you of course mean 'whatever suits Christianity' - including sidelining any of God's commandments if they don't appeal and even reinstating as a shibboleth and commanded requirement (Blue laws0 some that Jesus seemed to argue (sabbath) were not as important as doing good.
Who I am is someone who can smell a BS argument a mile off. And I'm sniffing one right now. A town wants to prohibit this or that - but they must have a good reason, and while mandatory days off for staff is a good one, keeping the sabbath holy is not. Especially as even Jesus saw it as not too important.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:55 PM

One of your funniest posts, Mystic, but as usual, devoid of any credible argument. Please explain what's wrong about what I posted that you quoted.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 PM

63,766 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
One of your funniest posts, Mystic, but as usual, devoid of any credible argument. Please explain what's wrong about what I posted that you quoted.
I was just confirming that you indeed can smell BS a mile off. Meters don't lie.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I was just confirming that you indeed can smell BS a mile off. Meters don't lie.
Thank you and I apologize. In fact I woke up in the middle of the night (for pee -so don't feel guilty ) and thought 'crap. Maybe Mystic was just posting a handy meter for me to use.' but then I though 'But then he'd just post it not respond to a quote of mine. He must have been calling B.S'.

It seems I overthought it And apologies again.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I mean in the context of the entire Bible. The OT commands were specific commands given to a specific group of people in a specific time and place. The NT Christians were not expected to abide by them, and neither were the Gentiles.
Quote:

Nowhere have I said that they can do it in order to "honor the Sabbath". But if a town wants to have 1 day a week off, and restrict commerce on that day, that's their business. Don't like it? Don't live there.

Do you think a town has a right to tell a bar owner they have to stop serving alcohol at any specific time? If so...why?

Old 03-04-2015, 03:03 PM

The laws were given by God to his people for them to obey. Sabbath observance was one of those. The supposition is that, if you want to become a worshipper of God, then you abide by the rules. That didn't suit Christianity so they pick and choose which rules they like and which they don't and they change them, too.

So Jesus is made to say that the Sabbath keeping isn't important. He breaks sabbath and argues against it, Not very well, but he does.

And yet Sabbath - on a different day - is now supposed to be so important, it has to be imposed on everyone. Religious or not. I don't buy it, Vizio old mate.

As to an administration deciding what the local rules should be, fair enough. Mandatory days off -makes sense. But to be decided of rational grounds, for preference, niot just because some believers insist on imposing their rules on everyone else.

Of course when they dominate in voting, then there's not much everyone can do except try to find legal exemption or just complain . That's why we are pushing for more irreligion, so that the religious can't push through religion -based rules on sheer voting power. Could be a long time coming, maybe never, but the rationale for the aim is sound. The reason for Sabbath observance is not.

If individual believers want to close their business, that's up to them. I think that covers it. What do you find wrong about that case, Vizio?

Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
The laws were given by God to his people for them to obey. Sabbath observance was one of those. The supposition is that, if you want to become a worshipper of God, then you abide by the rules. That didn't suit Christianity so they pick and choose which rules they like and which they don't and they change them, too.
Completely false. Jesus fulfilled the Law. The Law is no longer in effect, and does not apply to Christians.
Quote:
So Jesus is made to say that the Sabbath keeping isn't important. He breaks sabbath and argues against it, Not very well, but he does.

And yet Sabbath - on a different day - is now supposed to be so important, it has to be imposed on everyone. Religious or not. I don't buy it, Vizio old mate.
If you wish to take the Sabbath off....great. Good for you. Knock yourself out. But God doesn't expect a Christian to do so. If a city or a town wishes to pass a law requiring us to obey the Sabbath? That is not appropriate. I'm not suggesting they should do so.
Quote:
As to an administration deciding what the local rules should be, fair enough. Mandatory days off -makes sense. But to be decided of rational grounds, for preference, niot just because some believers insist on imposing their rules on everyone else.
OK? So as long as they don't tell you why they vote the way they vote, you don't care?
Quote:
Of course when they dominate in voting, then there's not much everyone can do except try to find legal exemption or just complain . That's why we are pushing for more irreligion, so that the religious can't push through religion -based rules on sheer voting power. Could be a long time coming, maybe never, but the rationale for the aim is sound. The reason for Sabbath observance is not.
So it's wrong for someone to vote the way they vote because their religion influences them, but it's not a violation of religion (and our First Amendment rights) to openly give YOUR reason for doing so because you simply don't like religion?
Quote:
If individual believers want to close their business, that's up to them. I think that covers it. What do you find wrong about that case, Vizio?
I don't know if you answered it...but does a town have the right to require a bar to stop serving at 1 am? or 2 am? Or whenever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality