Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:46 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,545 times

Advertisements

I admit up front my almost complete ignorance of evolution, but there is one question (or set of questions) I have in mind. Before I ask, let me make it clear that I am an agnostic and not a supporter of the "goddidit" community.

I often hear the expression "they evolved" or "it evolved" and it is said so often you just take it for granted that everything we see, evolved. This may or may not apparent to some, but what sparks evolution and what is the magic that makes it happen? I understand it is about survival, but what if I was creature that crawled around on my stomach and what I needed to survive lived in trees at the top of a rain forest canopy? I can wish to get to it all I want but all my wishing is not going to magically produce legs, wings or powerful muscles to leap, will it??? I can need all I want, it's not going to get me any closer to the top of the tree whether it takes 2 days or 2 billion years.

This is my very basic, albeit, ignorant understanding of evolution. I'm clearly missing something, but I am more concerned about the "magic." Can someone explain this for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:08 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
Carl Sagan Cosmos - Google Video

I suggest watching this video for a general understanding of what you're asking.

Might I also add, I recommend The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins for an excellent and simple explanation of how evolution and natural selection work.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:27 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,304 times
Why is it when people think of create they think of something magically appearing? Creating something connotes work and time and effort. Why could God not have created evolution? or better put have been the intelligence behind evolution.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:39 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,168,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Why is it when people think of create they think of something magically appearing? Creating something connotes work and time and effort. Why could God not have created evolution? or better put have been the intelligence behind evolution.
Because that would destroy the Fundamentalist Christians' claim that all life forms were as they are now in the beginning.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Carl Sagan Cosmos - Google Video

I suggest watching this video for a general understanding of what you're asking.

Might I also add, I recommend The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins for an excellent and simple explanation of how evolution and natural selection work.
Thanks GCSTroop.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:29 PM

593 posts, read 1,794,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I admit up front my almost complete ignorance of evolution, but there is one question (or set of questions) I have in mind. Before I ask, let me make it clear that I am an agnostic and not a supporter of the "goddidit" community.

I often hear the expression "they evolved" or "it evolved" and it is said so often you just take it for granted that everything we see, evolved. This may or may not apparent to some, but what sparks evolution and what is the magic that makes it happen? I understand it is about survival, but what if I was creature that crawled around on my stomach and what I needed to survive lived in trees at the top of a rain forest canopy? I can wish to get to it all I want but all my wishing is not going to magically produce legs, wings or powerful muscles to leap, will it??? I can need all I want, it's not going to get me any closer to the top of the tree whether it takes 2 days or 2 billion years.

This is my very basic, albeit, ignorant understanding of evolution. I'm clearly missing something, but I am more concerned about the "magic." Can someone explain this for me?
Your post is why we Christian's believe in CREATION...What's the odds of our ancient ancestors crawling to shore at the same time and being of different sexes capable of reproducing? It takes more faith to believe that than to step out in faith and believe in God and the biblical account of creation!

Old 03-29-2009, 04:35 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Because that would destroy the Fundamentalist Christians' claim that all life forms were as they are now in the beginning.
Not all "fundamentalist Christians" claim what you state.

Many informed Christians who believe in creation by God do not believe what you state, that which I have bolded in your post, and still reject molecules-to-man, Darwinian evolution.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:35 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,168,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
Your post is why we Christian's believe in CREATION...
Note his original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane
Before I ask, let me make it clear that I am an agnostic and not a supporter of the "goddidit" community.
Epic fail.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Epic fail.
I failed or or you talking about the, "well since I don't know or want to know, God must have done it" crowd? I sure do not ascribe to the latter.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,399,840 times
Christian think athiests are stupid for believing that something came from nothing, but when you think about what they believe it is odd also. They believe in a god that is "self existant"....how in the world is anything self existant?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality