Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM

33,511 posts, read 37,039,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have never met a witch who did not tell me they were a white witch and did not know what i was talking about when i began to speak about taking someones health wealth and identity thru black magic.
You are showing your ignorance about the Wicca beliefs. Their credo is " Do what you will, but harm none"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 PM

33 posts, read 49,602 times
I'm not an Atheist, but I don't believe in god. I guess you could call me a scientist. I believe in science, and things that we can vouch for. The metaphysical world is, as of now, mythological, and non-existent. However, a part of the M-Theory of everything suggests that the metaphysical realm is created by a dimension that connects 2 membranes in hyperspace. The membranes are universes, and the dimensions are extremely tiny, subatomic even, and they are basically the tethers that keep us linked to every other universe.

That is theory of course. I look into theories and philosophy, and I am intrigued by them, but I refuse to believe anything that hasn't been proven, or has no evidence, or anything alike.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:01 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,221,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are showing your ignorance about the Wicca beliefs. Their credo is " Do what you will, but harm none"
no i am showing my conversation with every witch i have ever known inc cuba voo doo, they all say the same-- i am a white witch.when you say i am ignorant and know nothing of witchcraft you are assuming much. many trample their own credos.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-02-2009 at 12:50 AM..

Old 04-02-2009, 12:44 AM

33,511 posts, read 37,039,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no i am showing my conversation with every witch i have ever known inc cuba voo doo, they all they the same i am a white witch.when you say i am ignorant and know nothing of witchcraft you are assuming much. many trample their own credos.
I thought we were talking about Wicca, not Voodoo.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:25 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,887,513 times
Default Pass the donation plate please....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

I travelled around the world and the most respectful religious people I met were animists whose beliefs in animal and natural spirits and deities did not prevent them from accepting that I might not feel the same. I encountered far more respect , empathy and fairness from those many people would call "primitive" which to me makes those people vastly superior to begin with.

I have far more respect for a Papua New Guinea forest dweller who believes in tree and river spirits than I do for a fundamentalist evangelist Christian.

Cultural Survival is greatly threatened by evangelism .
I agree. The reason the naturalistic religions are so non-threatening though, is that they haven't grown to the level of a massive corporation such as the Catholic Church or The Church of England or The Southern Baptist Convention.

When you've got that much corporate inertia to maintain, you get a bit trigger-happy with the "lesser" religions, and a "birds & beasts" religion surely won't garner the big bucks that a humano-centric one can.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:42 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,582,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I agree. The reason the naturalistic religions are so non-threatening though, is that they haven't grown to the level of a massive corporation such as the Catholic Church or The Church of England or The Southern Baptist Convention.

When you've got that much corporate inertia to maintain, you get a bit trigger-happy with the "lesser" religions, and a "birds & beasts" religion surely won't garner the big bucks that a humano-centric one can.
I agree. Though maybe one of the reasons they have never grown to being so huge a religions and beliefs is because the people who practise them have no desire to convince anyone else of the veracity of their faith. Theyare strong enough in their beliefs not to need external validation.

Animism is the oldest form of belief but because evangelism has never been a part of it despite surviving for millenia it has never spread. An animist could not care less whether you believed in their spirits or not.

All animists I have ever met have always been curious about my own "gods and spirits" ( or lack of therein) and inquisitive but never critical or judgemental. They expect you to have your own beliefs rather than to conform to theirs. It is so immensely refreshing. It is as though they realise that their gods might not fit you. Respect is so much more evident.

I often thought that Animism in many ways made the most sense in a twisted sort of way as an Atheist.

The way mainstream religions have bulldozed over cultures and tribal societies which have survived since the dawn of time really saddens me. We have lost so much in terms of languages, mores and cultural richness all in the name of corporate religion with its wagging finger and intolerant ways.

Conformity whether cultural or religious is a terrible thing. It anihilates so many layers of our consciousness and renders us so bland and devoid if interest. The "one fits all" religious system is in my opinion incredibly stupid. And dangerous.
And shows little understanding of human nature.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:38 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,391,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Of course we should rejoice over blasphemous, cultic or false religions dying.

Read the Bible. Read the books of Joshua, 1 and 2 Chronicles. The Bible is clear that any religion but the worship of the God of Israel (Judaism) was simply idolatry.
Jesus would not have said that. Didn't he say to love your enemies? So what changed? My personal opinion is that god had nothing to do with the OT attrocities. They had to blame someone! Why not god?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,675,727 times
What is most sad is that the Indigenous spiritual traditions that have been destroyed by missionaries and empires are faaaaaaaarrr more advanced and closer to the truth Christ demonstrated than the mytho-rational Abrahamic religions.

There's a reason people turn to Native Americans for spiritual guidance. They used to live far more connected to the embodiment of unity that is the heart of our reality.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,959,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Jesus would not have said that. Didn't he say to love your enemies? So what changed? My personal opinion is that god had nothing to do with the OT attrocities. They had to blame someone! Why not god?

In the words of Thomas Jefferson,

"If Jesus Christ was alive today, the last thing he would be is a Christian"

Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,051,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
You do realize that, unless people are killed, there is no way an entire religion can die out? I mean, even in Mongolia where Buddhism peacefully became the dominate religion, there are still followers of the native religion still are found to this day...did any followers of European paganism survive? No...and notice the key word there, survive.

There will always remain a large portion of the world's population who, like me, would rather die a slow and agonizing death than ever say "Jesus, you died for my sins, I confess to you, son of the god of the Old Testament, and make you my lord and savior."

Does that mean I want, or deserve, a slow and agonizing death? No.

I won't cry if mormonism and islam fade away. Sorry....I'll rejoice. I've never said on this board (or anywhere else for that matter) that I advocate personal attack or injury on someone because of their religion.

Bottom line is that you will one day bow the knee to Christ. Personally I'd rather do it willingly now than to be forced to later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality