Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:54 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,507 times

Advertisements

Running from hell | Ubyssey Online (http://www.ubyssey.ca/?p=5624?athiest - broken link)

Quote:
The turning point was one Christmas, when Nate decided to teach his children about God. In the end, his son Tyler began crying in the backseat of the car, saying that he didn’t want to go to hell.
“He wanted to believe because he didn’t want to go to hell,” Nate said. “I was just stunned because I didn’t know what I had said or how I had left him with that fear. I thought I was doing a good job of presenting it without the fear.
“Thinking about it after the fact, I realized you can’t do that. With a young mind it doesn’t matter. You can try as much as you want to talk about how good God is, but the bottom line is there’s this intolerably frightening punishment if you don’t accept it. And how does a young mind deal with that?”

I think it definitely is child abuse, though in fairness parents do it out of good intentions: to save their children from their God's anger. However, it is still abuse. I marvel that the media rarely picks up on this story, which I think is bigger than the sex-abuse scandals of the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:20 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
"You're gonna go to school, learn this difficult thing called Math"

"I don't want strain myself". And the boy cried.

This definitely is child abuse

Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
It is not child abuse, if you have kids you can teach them anything you want, and if someone has their own kid that did not come from you, then you don't have any say so in what they teach their children.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Give your kid the gift that keeps on giving.....guilt.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
It is not child abuse, if you have kids you can teach them anything you want, and if someone has their own kid that did not come from you, then you don't have any say so in what they teach their children.
There was a time when my old man pinched my ear and made me study.

Guess he will go to jail in this world of today

Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post

mmmhmmm--Public schools are now the arena in which this becomes very evident.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Running from hell | Ubyssey Online (http://www.ubyssey.ca/?p=5624?athiest - broken link)

I think it definitely is child abuse, though in fairness parents do it out of good intentions: to save their children from their God's anger. However, it is still abuse. I marvel that the media rarely picks up on this story, which I think is bigger than the sex-abuse scandals of the church.

I think it's child abuse to raise a kid with no hope, as the atheists do. But that's why the founding fathers gave us freedom of religion--so we could decide.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 AM

74 posts, read 126,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I think it's child abuse to raise a kid with no hope, as the atheists do. But that's why the founding fathers gave us freedom of religion--so we could decide.
There is no hope in this life unless it involves a mansion and streets of gold in the afterlife, right?? This is the kind of primitive mindset of reward/punishment conditioning that Ivan Pavlov experimented on his dogs. And we are still teaching this to our kids. Be good boys and girls and you will get your very on mansion in the sky. That is not hope my friend, that is dellusion.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffhrdkncs View Post
There is no hope in this life unless it involves a mansion and streets of gold in the afterlife, right?? This is the kind of primitive mindset of reward/punishment conditioning that Ivan Pavlov experimented on his dogs. And we are still teaching this to our kids. Be good boys and girls and you will get your very on mansion in the sky. That is not hope my friend, that is dellusion.

As opposed to living 80 years then being worm food? Having nothing to live for in life except what feels good, then dying?

That's depressing.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:57 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
As opposed to living 80 years then being worm food? Having nothing to live for in life except what feels good, then dying?

That's depressing.

Not so much. It just makes you enjoy the life you have now instead of leaving it all up to God and dancing with angel's in an afterlife. I see nothing depressing about it. We live, we die, we become part of the earth (like the rest of the things in nature) and contribute to the next life cycle. If you aren't afraid of death and dying then 'being worm food' after you die isn't too daunting. If anything, it makes people (or at least me) want to live the life I have now to the fullest. Not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality