Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,896 times

Advertisements

[quote=Carolina_native;599140]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post

Thats why evolution depends so heavily on the earth being millions upon millions of years old. There is no evidence of evolution around us, so we are told we have to wait a million years to see changes....
And in a million years we will all be dead, so really, the THEORY of eveolution will always remain a theory.

Just for fun... think about this. You take a watch and you take it apart. Put it on a plastic bad. I bet that even in 1 billion years, the watch will still be a bunch of pieces and not a fully functional robot!!

Or think of an egg. It can breathe and yet nothing can penetrate that shell (not water, not air, not dust). Despite being completely enclosed, there is a lifeform growing inside of that egg. The egg has enough water and nourishment to develop life within that tiny space. THis tiny little world inside that egg creates life out of it. How can something this complex be "Developed" over time. If the egg was not always this way, there would be no way iot would ever get to this point!

Or take the Earth. If it is one mile off it's course and it is either too close or too far from the sun, life would not exist on Earth.

And you mean to tell me that such splendid things, such amazing creations came from a puddle of water or a big blast in the sky? That is was all an accident... a mistake.... a causal event in space???

You have to be out of your mind to believe in such a thing as evolution!! There is too much beauty, diversity, and perfection for all of this to be a mistake or an accident.

Only an Intelligent and all-powerful being beyond ourselves can think up and create such a thing. It is human PRIDE that keeps men from realizing that! And yet more and more prideful scientists say evolution is baloney and intelligent design must be the answer.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:44 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
And where was all this light coming from. It certainly wasn't from the sun, since He didn't get around to creating that until Day-4. The sun is usually taken as being an integral player in determining what we see as days today, so the fact of its non-existence could be a significant one. The other significant factor in this 'days' concept of ours is the rotation of the earth. People didn't know too much about that back in the day, so they certainly hadn't yet figured out that the speed of the earth's rotation was in fact decreasing. At it's birth, now matter who or what was responsible for that, it would have been rotating quite a bit faster than it does today, so days, even if somehow terrestrially-based in a solar absence, would have been a good deal shorter than what we take them to be today. Just a thought...
God didn't need light HE is THE LIGHT!!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 02:25 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
God didn't need light HE is THE LIGHT!!!!
AMEN! I wish I could give you points for this post!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:35 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I've heard this argument, many times before. I've also seen the sites you've linked, before. This usually ends with the creationist stating that they believe microevolution exists, but not macroevolution.
I don't know how I missed this, sorry for the delay.

First, I didn't link "sites", I linked a site and it had nothing to do with what you responded with. If you're not going to take the time to respond to what I said instead of what you think I said, please don't bother. Also, I think I was pretty clear on what I said I believe, where'd you get that I believe in microevolution. I hope you don't read your 'information' with the same carelessness you read posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
It doesn't mean it did, either. By using "God of the Gaps", many creationists eliminate any critical thinking. There are many things I cannot explain. I don't arbitrarily attribute those things to God.
Once again, leavingflorida, I never said anything about filling the gaps with God. I specifically stated forget the presence or possibility of any deity and help me understand how YOU deal with the gaps, not me! I think you missed my whole point in that we ALL have to fill the gaps with something. And I also respectfully and ACCURATELY said that saying "I don't know" was OK. There are things that we can physically see that we can not prove or explain with science, that's where my link came in and I encourage you to read part of it.

An excerpt from the link, "13 things that do not make sense" again, NOT a religious site AT ALL!

"The horizon problem

OUR universe appears to be unfathomably uniform. Look across space from one edge of the visible universe to the other, and you'll see that the microwave background radiation filling the cosmos is at the same temperature everywhere. That may not seem surprising until you consider that the two edges are nearly 28 billion light years apart and our universe is only 14 billion years old.

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, so there is no way heat radiation could have travelled between the two horizons to even out the hot and cold spots created in the big bang and leave the thermal equilibrium we see now.

This "horizon problem" is a big headache for cosmologists, so big that they have come up with some pretty wild solutions. "Inflation", for example.......
<continues>"

<BOLDED FOR CLARIFICATION>

Old 04-19-2007, 04:03 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
AMEN! I wish I could give you points for this post!
That's okay it made you smile!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 04:24 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,783 times
[quote=Nirvana-Guy;599208]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Or take the Earth. If it is one mile off it's course and it is either too close or too far from the sun, life would not exist on Earth.
Are you aware that the Earth doesn't rotate around the Sun in a perfect circle? Sometimes we're closer, and it's a lot more than a mile's difference.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:48 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Are you aware that the Earth doesn't rotate around the Sun in a perfect circle? Sometimes we're closer, and it's a lot more than a mile's difference.
So your saying the Earth can vary from it's course up to a mile or more with no effect? I don't think I saw him mention anything about the shape, distance or any other detail about the course...just that if it varies....it'd mean trouble for us all.

I don't understand why there's this breakdown in communication.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Be careful with those facts and logic...some in here may get upset.
Everyone gets to have his or her own opinion. Everyone does not get to have his or her own facts.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:31 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
So your saying the Earth can vary from it's course up to a mile or more with no effect? I don't think I saw him mention anything about the shape, distance or any other detail about the course...just that if it varies....it'd mean trouble for us all.

I don't understand why there's this breakdown in communication.
The earth wobbles and shifts and shuns around on its orbit (not to mention when it rotates on its axis) but since these are done in a vacuum, they become repetitive and periodic.

Not magic...simple physics.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:32 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
And in a million years we will all be dead, so really, the THEORY of eveolution will always remain a theory.
In scientific terms, theories are pretty high up there. Electromagnetism is a theory, so is Relativity. And then there's such things as Game Theory and Probability Theory. Loosely put, theories need to explain all of the known observations in a field and make testable predictions about observations that might be made in the future. Creationism doesn't explain anything and it doesn't predict anything. It can never in a million years come even close to qualifying as so much as a theory. It doesn't even qualify as a hypothesis. It does qualify as poppycock -- baseless speculation that people engage in for reasons entirely apart from the expansion of human knowledge and understanding. Nothing wrong in that, of course...people play the lottery and watch soap operas as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality