Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:54 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I'm glad God put those fossils in the ground to give us something to argue about. I consider it a "test".

Fossils do not disprove creationism. If you bury any animal within short time it will decay into bones.

Carbon (carbon-14) dating has been widely contradicted, which is used to attempt to date how old fossils are.

Evolutionists depend heavily on time, they must have alot of time in order to have any relevance to their arguments. Particulary because there is no evidence of evolution amongst us. We are told that a million years ago it was like this....

Old 04-17-2007, 05:55 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Well I do know that the Grand Canyon was NOT carved in 6000 years!!!!
There is also Radiometric dating with is much more proven.

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/geology/u...earth.html#age

Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Well I do know that the Grand Canyon was NOT carved in 6000 years!!!!
There is also Radiometric dating with is much more proven.

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/geology/u...earth.html#age

How do you know?

Old 04-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
How do you know?
1. Common sense
2. science

i will go with science on this issue. Ice ages, Grand Canyon, Dinosaurs , volcanoes forming
Sorry I cant believe that all happened in 6000 years. All of science would be wrong, sorry dont buy it.

Last edited by Nea1; 04-17-2007 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-17-2007, 06:13 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
The concept of creationism, is written by humans (men) supposedly inspired by God.

Science began with the dawn of the 'age of reasoning' some 600 years ago, when data and information are collected, tested and retested to come up with something known as a hypothesis. In time as more evidence is collected, and tested- it becomes a Theory.

I am not agnostic- I do believe in a 'power' above men. However religion in itself is not 'scientifically' provable. All of the great religions are based on myth, legend and the supernatural- at a time in antiquity when men had little understanding of science.

Evolution therefore has scientific credibility, with the collection of human remains, etc. Evolution itself perhaps is product of a grand design that comes from a 'power' above- but the science nonetheless is exacting-

We and our ancestors came out of Africa- the theory of evolution is indisputable.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
1. Common sense
2. science

i will go with science on this issue. Ice ages, Grand Canyon, Dinosaurs , volcanoes forming
Sorry I cant believe that all happened in 6000 years. All of science would be wrong, sorry dont buy it.
Thanks Nea1, but I have quite a bit of common sense and use science to support my beliefs as well.

All of science would be wrong if there is a different explanation than the one you believe of the Grand Canyon? It is widely beleived in the evolution community that the Grand Canyon was a result of the Colorado River once flowing through it, but how do you exlpain where the results of millions and millions of years of erosion went?

Old 04-17-2007, 06:37 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
I believe the God created the earth and everything else because He said so. God said it that settles it....for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Thanks Nea1, but I have quite a bit of common sense and use science to support my beliefs as well.

All of science would be wrong if there is a different explanation than the one you believe of the Grand Canyon? It is widely beleived in the evolution community that the Grand Canyon was a result of the Colorado River once flowing through it, but how do you exlpain where the results of millions and millions of years of erosion went?
here you go this explains the sediment issue:
The sediments that covered the roots of these ancient mountains were deposited by a series of advancing and retreating ocean coast lines. As the climate of our planet warms and cools the median sea level of the planet rises and falls due to the melting and freezing of the polar caps. When the sea level rises, land areas which are close to the coast and relatively low in altitude are sometimes submerged. This was the case with the land area of the Grand Canyon and is why so many different sedimentary rock layers exist. Each of these was formed by a different period in which the ocean moved in and covered the land, stayed for a while, and then retreated again. Limestone deposits are created when the ocean moves in and slates, shales and mudstone deposits are created when the ocean moves out and the area is covered by silts washing into the retreating ocean.

How do we know this?

Well, the fact is that most of the rock in the Grand Canyon is composed of sedimentary rock which can only be formed at the bottom of the ocean or in shallow coastal plains. The Kaibab Limestone which is the current top of the Grand Canyon is composed mostly of a sandy limestone, with some sandstone and shale thrown in for good measure. This means that it was probably formed in a shallow sea near the coast. The fact that it contains fossils of creatures that used to live in the ocean, like brachiopods, coral, mollusks, sea lilies, worms and fish teeth, only tends to reinforce this belief. The intrusion of sandstone and shales into this later means that at times the layer was also above the surface of the water but still very close to the edge. Sandstones are solidified sand which are typically fields of sand dunes or beaches, and shales are solidified mud which are common to river deltas. By dating the fossils found in the rock of the Kaibab Limestone, geologists have determined that it is approximately 250 million years old, and this is the youngest laye

The Grand Canyon, if it was formed by the Colorado River, should have a huge river delta in the Gulf of California, but it doesnt. Where did all the 800 cubic miles of dirt go?

Is it possible for such a small river to create such a huge canyon? If so, then this should have occurred along much bigger and faster rivers. And why are there so many side canyons, with no water source to erode them, enter the Grand Canyon?

Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
here you go this explains the sediment issue:
The sediments that covered the roots of these ancient mountains were deposited by a series of advancing and retreating ocean coast lines. As the climate of our planet warms and cools the median sea level of the planet rises and falls due to the melting and freezing of the polar caps. When the sea level rises, land areas which are close to the coast and relatively low in altitude are sometimes submerged. This was the case with the land area of the Grand Canyon and is why so many different sedimentary rock layers exist. Each of these was formed by a different period in which the ocean moved in and covered the land, stayed for a while, and then retreated again. Limestone deposits are created when the ocean moves in and slates, shales and mudstone deposits are created when the ocean moves out and the area is covered by silts washing into the retreating ocean.

How do we know this?

Well, the fact is that most of the rock in the Grand Canyon is composed of sedimentary rock which can only be formed at the bottom of the ocean or in shallow coastal plains. The Kaibab Limestone which is the current top of the Grand Canyon is composed mostly of a sandy limestone, with some sandstone and shale thrown in for good measure. This means that it was probably formed in a shallow sea near the coast. The fact that it contains fossils of creatures that used to live in the ocean, like brachiopods, coral, mollusks, sea lilies, worms and fish teeth, only tends to reinforce this belief. The intrusion of sandstone and shales into this later means that at times the layer was also above the surface of the water but still very close to the edge. Sandstones are solidified sand which are typically fields of sand dunes or beaches, and shales are solidified mud which are common to river deltas. By dating the fossils found in the rock of the Kaibab Limestone, geologists have determined that it is approximately 250 million years old, and this is the youngest laye
Are you pasting this information directly from a website? Anyways, your post actually puts evidence into Noahs Flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality