Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:49 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Randomstudent wrote:

I agree that a phenomenon that isn't yet understood such as the existence of radio waves to a primitive tribe in an isolated part of the world would be considered to be supernatural until they gained an understanding of what it really was. As far as auras are concerned I realize that a living thing does exude a kind of electrical field but I am very skeptical about people who claim that they can actually see your aura and even interpret what it means in terms of what color it is, the intensity, etc.

look, i believe this has been common knowledge for some time now.

Kirlian Cameras

(lots more to google on that one)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Randomstudent wrote:

I agree that a phenomenon that isn't yet understood such as the existence of radio waves to a primitive tribe in an isolated part of the world would be considered to be supernatural until they gained an understanding of what it really was. As far as auras are concerned I realize that a living thing does exude a kind of electrical field but I am very skeptical about people who claim that they can actually see your aura and even interpret what it means in terms of what color it is, the intensity, etc.
I was referring more to feeling then seeing. This is quite easily testable and most people can do it. Simply go into a quite space with few distractions along with a partner. Then hold ones palms face up and have your partner hold theirs face down about 1 inch above yours, concentrate on your mind on the tactile sensation of your hands and you can feel the fields interacting. As to seeing and interpretation that is a bit out of my league, but here is an article on it.

The Human Energy Field (http://www.trans4mind.com/psychotechnics/energyfield.html - broken link)

Old 04-06-2009, 06:03 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
effie wrote:
Quote:
look, i believe this has been common knowledge for some time now.
Yes, my friend, I'm familiar with those kinds of images but what exactly do you think they are? You can take the same kind of image of a leaf but it's obvious that a leaf isn't sending out some sort of message to the universe.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:04 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times
Quote:
I'm asking this question regarding any supernatural phenomenon that has ever occurred and by that I would include miracles, extrasensory perception, astral projection, predicting the future, levitation of one's own body or any object, hauntings, ghosts, communicating with the dead, or any other event which appears to defy the laws of physics. This could be something of a religious nature or it could be some human ability that should seemingly be impossible. What I'm looking for is the single strongest case for any supernatural event that has authoritative and legitimate scientific evidence. By that I mean the kind of evidence you could take into a courtroom and present it to a jury and demonstrate that it is factual. Can anyone come up with any supernatural event that can meet that challenge?
I was thinking I couldn’t find of anything, than those angels from Victoria Secrets came to mind, and I recognized they had levitated parts of their body and grown wings as would only be appropriate for such a feat. It may not be totally supernatural, what with it being only a part of their body, but it at least deserves an honorable mention. Second thought is if my wife caught me with one of those levitating angels, I am sure it would result in me being in a court room in front of a jury. Third thought is I had better go throw away those catalogs and get some safe physics magazines in my reading room.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:05 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The resurrection of Christ.
Why are you setting yourself up for crucifixion?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times
Quote:
kdbrich wrote:

Ok but if you had to present scientific evidence to back up that claim what would it be?

The witness of 500 people who saw him alive afterward.

The changed lives of men that saw him and followed his teachings.

A church founded on the fact.

The willingness of men to go to their martyrdom because they believed what they saw.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:44 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
For me it is the discoveries about outer space such as the black hole and worms. Also, the fact that "noise/static" on the old analog television is leftover radioactivity from the Big Bang!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
I'm not sure if something truly supernatural could really be tested scientifically.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:50 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Default A truly 'supernatural' event! Or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The witness of 500 people who saw him alive afterward.

The changed lives of men that saw him and followed his teachings.

A church founded on the fact.

The willingness of men to go to their martyrdom because they believed what they saw.
You may note believe this, kd, but on this one, I fully agree with you. If, in fact, if it actually happened, then it was a supernatural event, and hundreds may have witnessed it (or were convinced they witnessed it...), and by virtue of the fact that belief in it has persisted and grown, briefly, far beyond it's initial sphere of influence, it was a documented supernatural event, with limited "natural" explanations.

Now, back to our regular programming.....

Oh, I also do another possible "supernatural" set of events, because my Brother-in-Law is a 28 yr long devout Scientologist attached to the "celeb" church in LA. He tried to get me involved, and claimed, in all honesty, that if I joined, I'd be able to pass through walls, read books that were locked in other rooms, "see" dead people, including Ron hisself, and a bunch of other implausible things.

But nonetheless, he claimed that this was all easily possible when a person was a "Clear", whatever that means.

I declined, but since he says that the Church of Scientology has, literally, tens of thousands of members who claim to have such abilities, I suppose this would also classify as documentable supernatural events that the late Mr. Hubbard can explain when he next returns.

Which, my BiL also tells me, L. Ron does from time to time, to commune with the faithful!

Pretty convincing stuff!

Last edited by rifleman; 04-06-2009 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: clarifications

Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Christ made it to France with his wife, Mary Magdelene. Don't you read anything from the prophet Dan Brown? (may peace be upon him)

Scientology gets a bad rap, but I've heard it's grounded in some pretty legitimate metaphysics. It's very cultish, though, which really throws the whole thing off for me.

There's an interesting book called "The Force" that compiles legitimate studies from places like Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley, etc... proving various ways in which people were able to communicate or somehow interact through the force that binds all life.

For example, they did a psychic study between a person on the ground and another in a space craft that returned positive results. Tons of studies in that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality