Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 08:05 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yet, you haven't actually addressed the question of origins.
Let me try and answer this a by asking a few questions.

I will start with seeing what understanding you have of certain of life's basic building blocks.

Do you know what RNA is and what function it has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Let me try and answer this a by asking a few questions.

I will start with seeing what understanding you have of certain of life's basic building blocks.

Do you know what RNA is and what function it has?
Completely irrelevant. This isn't about evolution.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
You are correct, it is not, my question is stated only to see what you understand, and then I can discuss origins.

I repeat, "Do you know what RNA is and what function it has?"

Old 04-20-2018, 10:21 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Yet, you haven't actually addressed the question of origins.
What part of "We Don't Know" didn't you understand?

Quote:
This isn't about evolution, it is about Origins. Once we get to DNA, then we can talk about evolution.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:26 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's the main counter to 'god is more probable' than 'something out of nothing'.

'something out of nothing' is looking more feasible these days. A fully -formed intelligent but incorporeal being - and only one of them, we are asked to believe, always having existed with no orgin, or having appeared out of nowhere seems far more counter -intuitive.
It depends on what people mean by something out of nothing.

The matter and energy in our universe are products of the expanding singularity, so did not exist at the start of the universe. In that sense, we did come from nothing.

But did that singularity come from an absolute nothing? I doubt it, because I find it difficult to accept there could ever be an absolute nothing.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
So you don't know how it came about, you don't know how it began, or why it started expanding. So many unanswered questions.
You have the same problem. How exactly did your god do it?

Quote:
The difference though, is that this "animate, intelligent, complex being" is not the universe itself, nor is it a part of the universe. Do you see my point? Something cannot create itself. The universe cannot create itself, or cause itself to exist, and the singularity could not simply cause itself to exist.
No one is arguing the universe created itself.

Quote:
SOMETHING had to exist outside of it that was uncaused.
The only difference between us is what that something was. For you, it was an intelligence. For me, it was something much less complex, and therefore much more probable.

Quote:
<edit> BTW.....I want to thank you for the good conversation. I've intentionally ignored the other posters on this thread for the reason that I just want to address you--and go back and forth on it. Thanks for being respectful.
I always respect people who are asking honest questions, and I believe you are honestly trying to see my point of view.

If my answers ever appear to be rude because they are short, it will be because I have a problem expressing something in English, or because my time is short due to work.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
"Who created God " is the college kid question.
Atheist philosophers themselves have rejected that silly question.
Its an embarrassment to atheism that people like Dawkins keep ressurecting it in sloppy pop science paperbacks.

https://youtu.be/kKKIvmcO5LQ
So special pleading and question begging is good?

Perhaps if you learnt to argue rationally for yourself instead of relying on Youtube videos (from a Christian ministry), not all of us have time to watch a video.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I'm going by what atheists have been saying for a long time. Until it turned around and bit them.
Atheists never said this. Atheists do not believe in gods. Your constant need for straw manning points to just how little evidence you have for your beliefs.

Here is where you link to a cosmologist.

Quote:
It all sounded very clever until the cosmological constant was discovered to be so astoundingly improbable that it gave strong evidence of design.
As "design" by some improbable intelligence is most unlikely, then a far more plausible hypothesis (66.7%) would be that of a multiverse. That you constantly need to ignore maths points to just how little evidence you have for your beliefs.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
No one except atheists hold to a God of the gaps, we believe in a God of everything.

God of the gaps, look it up. Then try using the phrase like everyone else does.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You can ignore me as much as you like but my mate Diogenes, who is hanging around and never mind his regular work will no doubt argue my points if he hasn't already got there ahead of me.
Sorry, I was away for the week, to see if I would be a major part of that large project I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately my AI expertise was in the wrong field, although I will be given some smaller projects to do.

But they did pay for my three days there, and me and my wife extended our stay to make a mini holiday. And we made friends with a very intelligent chap (he speaks eight languages) who invited us to stay with him and his wife in Italy after the summer.

A very interesting week, and I did not think of this forum at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality