Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What happens when we die?
Nothing except feed the worms 43 43.43%
Be judged by God 29 29.29%
Keep coming back until we get it right 9 9.09%
Other (please specify) 18 18.18%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:19 AM

657 posts, read 1,600,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm even more certain than just imagining nobody knows. They DON'T, plain and simple. But I'm willing to go a tiny bit farther than you did. I suspect that when I die, I still won't know...because I'll be dead.
excellent observation, and an acceptable one-up to my own words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
I think we do know, and it's time to stop pretending like we don't.

Just because we don't like the ramifications of what we know, that doesn't make it unknown.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
blunt answer to most intelligent (i)Q:

boxcar overkill & co. ltd. will go on, unmanned.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
While no one can know for certain what happens after, I would say that we rot in the ground and become worm food.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Since it is impossible to know, why worry about something that is unknowable. I instead choose to focus my energy on trying to live a productive, happy and virtuous life.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Who knows?
I'll second that. I can't see us just going to heaven because few of us are ready for heaven. I'm thinking something else. Like maybe a Jonathan Livingston Seagull type reincarnation in either a higher plane or a world similar to this one depending on how much we grew during this life.

I think that, ultimately, there is a heaven. I just don't think you punch a ticket in this lifetime to get in. I think the soul has to grow into a being that will be happy in heaven first.

I hate the depictions of heaven as streets of gold and mansions. That is so materialistic and so this world. Why would gold have value to me in heaven and do I really want a mansion to myself? Sounds like a lonely existence. My idea of heaven is closer to the garden of eden. Sitting under a tree, eating apples and talking to those who went before me.

I don't believe in hell. I think hell was invented by a Baptist preacher to scare people into believing. I think there is a separation from God for the unbelieving but this world is a separation from God so this world could qualify as hell.

I wish I could erase my Baptist upbringing. I still can't shake the image of God as this angry, vengeful, sadistic creature that throws his children into the lake of fire for not doing what he told them to do. I'm sorry but eternal tomrment in a lake of fire is just torture for the sake of torture since you can't ever get out. Punishment is only punishment if there is the hope of redemption. With no redemption, it's just inflicting pain to inflict pain. It would be like me telling my daughter to repent by Friday and when she didn't, burning her every chance I walked by her forever and never giving her the chance to repent again. Just inflicting pain every chance I got. How fast I'd be arrested yet we're supposed to believe a "loving" God sentences his misbehaving children to eternal torment because they didn't repent in time.

I can't marry the image of a "loving" father with one that would even make a lake of fire with the intention of throwing misbehaving children into it. God seems kind of schizophrenic when you look at it that way.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:32 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Quote:
I can't marry the image of a "loving" father with one that would even make a lake of fire with the intention of throwing misbehaving children into it. God seems kind of schizophrenic when you look at it that way.
It takes a process George Orwell called "doublethink" in his novel 1984; the ability to hold contradictory thoughts simultaneously.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
In my opinion, there is no way of knowing. So much has been written, it boils down to what one chooses to believe. I would like to be able to say I know, but I don't.

Do you know for certain that there is no way to know?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
It takes a process George Orwell called "doublethink" in his novel 1984; the ability to hold contradictory thoughts simultaneously.
I guess I flunked double think in college. I have to either elminate hell or eliminate the idea of God as a loving father. The latter scares me too much. So I'll just eliminate hell.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:47 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I think we do know, and it's time to stop pretending like we don't.

Just because we don't like the ramifications of what we know, that doesn't make it unknown.

YouTube - Vita est Lavorum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality