U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,913,084 times

Advertisements

During my time here on City Data, if there is one thing that I've noticed, it's the fact that if I had to "give my life to Christ," I am going to end up on the wrong side of someone else's Christianity. Just believing in God is apparently not good enough. It comes down to how you believe in him and what do you believe about him. The same goes for Jesus, followed by how you interpret the scriptures and the subsequent do's and don'ts.

Where's the appeal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:49 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,904,991 times
This issue my friend is one that puzzled me greatly while I was in church. Every single church for the most part thinks tha IT is the RIGHT one! Look at all of the different opinions here on CD. You must believe this way or that way...you have to follow the sabbath, no you don't, you must be baptized, no you don't, you have to believe in the trinity, no you don't....etc...etc...Ugh!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 AM

30,895 posts, read 31,793,503 times
I think there is something inherently sick and morbid about those rapture believing Christians that cannot wait for the so called end to come, even though to them it means death and eternal damnation for literally billions of people (nonbelievers) in the world. To me they are ghouls.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:28 AM

2,616 posts, read 4,010,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
During my time here on City Data, if there is one thing that I've noticed, it's the fact that if I had to "give my life to Christ," I am going to end up on the wrong side of someone else's Christianity. Just believing in God is apparently not good enough. It comes down to how you believe in him and what do you believe about him. The same goes for Jesus, followed by how you interpret the scriptures and the subsequent do's and don'ts.

Where's the appeal?
All that matters is what you do with Jesus Christ. The bible says "Kiss the son lest he be angry with you".

Don't listen to what man has to say, but what God has to say on the matter. And the bible is clear that, "No man may go to the Father, but by Him (Jesus Christ)". For Jesus Christ is the way the truth and the life.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 AM

2,616 posts, read 4,010,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think there is something inherently sick and morbid about those rapture believing Christians that cannot wait for the so called end to come, even though to them it means death and eternal damnation for literally billions of people (nonbelievers) in the world. To me they are ghouls.
If those people that you talk about have rejected the Son of God and his great sacrifice, they are already dead whether the rapture occurs or not.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 AM

7,525 posts, read 14,916,529 times
What you are seeing is the perversion of Christian faith......and it is ugly. It has been like that since the Christian faith became politicized under Constantine. And I agree that it is not a belief that a rational person would embrace.

DO NOT go to church (a church, any church) to "find God" or "find Salvation" because neither are there. God id found within you. All you really have to do to develop a relationship with God is to go quietly to a closet, a room, a garden.......anywhere away from others........and begin talking to yourself, about your life. The Creator is listening and you will begin to understand Him after a while. Some faiths call it meditation. Others call it prayer......what we call it is irrelevant......what is relevant is that you open the lines of communication between you and your spirit/soul.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 AM

1,403 posts, read 3,131,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
My thoughts exactly....when you hear these folks talking about the Rapture you can almost hear the glee in their voices when all they talk about all of these sinners/homosexuals/nonbelievers finally getting "what is coming to them".

Ghoulish indeed!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 AM

1,403 posts, read 3,131,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
DO NOT go to church (a church, any church) to "find God" or "find Salvation" because neither are there. God id found within you. All you really have to do to develop a relationship with God is to go quietly to a closet, a room, a garden.......anywhere away from others........and begin talking to yourself, about your life. The Creator is listening and you will begin to understand Him after a while. Some faiths call it meditation. Others call it prayer......what we call it is irrelevant......what is relevant is that you open the lines of communication between you and your spirit/soul.
Ditto to this! I think the majority of Christians (and people in general) would be better served by trying to connect with their sense of self instead of trying to reach out to some sort of God.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 AM

8,516 posts, read 3,956,022 times
I'd like to add that it's far more important to be concerned with your own personal relationship with God. Don't worry what others may think about your PERSONAL relationship with GOD as they need to be be worrying far more about their relationship with God, instead of everyone else's.

BTW: Those who are gleeful about the imminent Rapture may find themselves disappointed.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:01 AM

30,895 posts, read 31,793,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
If those people that you talk about have rejected the Son of God and his great sacrifice, they are already dead whether the rapture occurs or not.
Really? Well you think that makes it just ducky then I guess...Where is your empathy...I'm not dead by the way, far from it...The rapture belief, which I think is total hogwash shows Christians that believe it for what they are...Totally selfish and self centered "it's all about" me people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or