Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
THe bible is over any evolution, my fact is of things you have no understanding or clue of.
Oh, I have lots of clues, having spent twenty years reading and trying to follow the bible...You have no facts...None at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 AM

657 posts, read 1,599,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
You haven't proven anything!!
really?

here's another challenge for you.. DISPROVE evolution. go ahead, try it! i mean, i know that's a futile request, because your answer will be comprised of regurgitated lines out of your story book, but i'm curious to see what you have to say about it.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:55 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I didn't misquote you.

It's not a lose/win issue with me. The fact is, your arguments are not based on logic.

I'm not surprised about your reply though. Naturally, when you can't address what I say, you resort to talking about me as a person.
Umm.. yes you misquoted a whole pile of quotes in your post #61 to Funkymonk that belonged mostly to slashsdfz the OP. I thought it was rather odd myself.... and quite confusing.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:44 AM

52 posts, read 87,550 times
There will never be 100%, irrefutable evidence of God's existance because that would mean the choice of accepting Him would be taken away. You can't choose to believe in something if there is no way for you to deny it.

I believe a better question would be would you actually want proof? In the words of Joan Osbourne:
"If God had a face what would it look like
And would you want to see
If seeing meant that you would have to believe
In things like heaven and in jesus and the saints and all the prophets"

Old 04-18-2009, 08:53 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahv View Post
There will never be 100%, irrefutable evidence of God's existance because that would mean the choice of accepting Him would be taken away. You can't choose to believe in something if there is no way for you to deny it.
So long as we acknowledge that the choice has nothing to do with good or evil or sin.

It's simply a matter of evidence. If God exist, he has failed to offer a sufficient amount of evidence to give a reasonable person probably cause to believe he exists.

This isn't a moral choice we are making, it's a standard of proof question.

If all that is true, then doesn't an eternity in hell seem a little extreme as a form of punishment? After all, we wouldn't be getting punished for doing something immoral. We would be getting punished for not being gullible.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
So long as we acknowledge that the choice has nothing to do with good or evil or sin.

It's simply a matter of evidence. If God exist, he has failed to offer a sufficient amount of evidence to give a reasonable person probably cause to believe he exists.

This isn't a moral choice we are making, it's a standard of proof question.

If all that is true, then doesn't an eternity in hell seem a little extreme as a form of punishment? After all, we wouldn't be getting punished for doing something immoral. We would be getting punished for not being gullible.
You see I could say here I believe you are unreasonable. As you have done with me. However, I don't believe in name calling because someone believes differently than me.

My question to you is why do you need proof He exists if you don't believe? I don't ask anyone to prove He doesn't exist but yet I have people try and throw proof in my face. I am secure in my beliefs. Are you secure or is that why you demand proof? Would you actually want to proof He existed? How would that make you feel if there were? And then where would faith come in? I ask this because I am curious. I like to know what drives people. I like to learn.

BTW, I am far from gullible.

Last edited by sarahv; 04-18-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,477 times
Quote:
You see I could say here I believe you are unreasonable. As you have done with me. However, I don't believe in name calling because someone believes differently than me.

My question to you is why do you need proof He exists if you don't believe? I don't ask anyone to prove He doesn't exist but yet I have people try and throw proof in my face. I am secure in my beliefs. Are you secure or is that why you demand proof? Would you actually want to proof He existed? How would that make you feel if there were? And then where would faith come in? I ask this because I am curious. I like to know what drives people. I like to learn.

BTW, I am far from gullible.
I don't want to answer for Boxcar, but I agree with him so I will answer as if you are talking to me

I do not believe because there is no proof. If there were proof, I would believe. But I see it as "leaping without looking" to believe on faith without evidence or proof. If it affects nothing, then it doesn't matter what you believe, but if you make decisions and take action based on a groundless belief, you are bound to make mistakes.

I am secure in the beliefs I have seen repeated evidence for, but when life forces me to choose an assumption I get extremely insecure. Evidence-based epistemology works, it's the foundation of science and it's why we are not living in the dark ages.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Thank you for answering. I love hearing others views. I have a couple more if you don't mind...

Would you want to see that proof?

Would you feel forced to believe if God appeared to you or would you find another way of explaining it?

I agree with you if you are forced to choose something it makes you insecure. I feel the same way, especially if I am not sure if it my decision may have been different if I wasn't. I think that is the best way I can put believing in God. It wouldn't be fair to force someone to believe in Him. Because it is a personal choice. I hate it when people preach fire and brimstone (the funny thing about that people is I was raised in a Baptist family!!!! HAHA. My parents didn't raise me that way though). I always thought "who wants to believe in a God that is about nothing else other than burning people?" I know that if I had not known God that I wouldn't want to by listening to some of the people I have listened to along the way. They always made it seem like you absolutely without a shadow of doubt that if you don't believe in God right now that you will go to hell. I always thought that was wrong. I believe that if you live to be 100, that you may find Him in your last breath. And that counts. I don't believe in a time table. A lot may disagree. I have lept a lot blindly, though to be honest, though I did at the time, I don't have many regrets. Because I cherish what I have become. I hope that you find all that you are looking for in life, whatever it may be. I wish that to all of you.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:12 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,477 times
Quote:
Thank you for answering. I love hearing others views. I have a couple more if you don't mind...

Would you want to see that proof?

Would you feel forced to believe if God appeared to you or would you find another way of explaining it?

I agree with you if you are forced to choose something it makes you insecure. I feel the same way, especially if I am not sure if it my decision may have been different if I wasn't. I think that is the best way I can put believing in God. It wouldn't be fair to force someone to believe in Him. Because it is a personal choice. I hate it when people preach fire and brimstone (the funny thing about that people is I was raised in a Baptist family!!!! HAHA. My parents didn't raise me that way though). I always thought "who wants to believe in a God that is about nothing else other than burning people?" I know that if I had not known God that I wouldn't want to by listening to some of the people I have listened to along the way. They always made it seem like you absolutely without a shadow of doubt that if you don't believe in God right now that you will go to hell. I always thought that was wrong. I believe that if you live to be 100, that you may find Him in your last breath. And that counts. I don't believe in a time table. A lot may disagree. I have lept a lot blindly, though to be honest, though I did at the time, I don't have many regrets. Because I cherish what I have become. I hope that you find all that you are looking for in life, whatever it may be. I wish that to all of you.
If it is true, I would want to see the proof. I don't base my beliefs on biases, or wishes I have. Many horrors are true, and many wonderful things are fiction. I accept that, because I only want to believe what is true, and I do not want to believe what is not true.

If "God appeared to me" I would seriously question my sanity, because there have been many cases where whackos have done things because God appeared to them and told them to. But, with continued affirmation via observable evidence, I would begin to believe (most likely spiraling deeper into insanity..)

Old 04-18-2009, 11:48 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,302,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
really?

here's another challenge for you.. DISPROVE evolution. go ahead, try it! i mean, i know that's a futile request, because your answer will be comprised of regurgitated lines out of your story book, but i'm curious to see what you have to say about it.
What's there to disprove?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality