Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times

Advertisements

Here's a suggestion for the OP: why don't you try it, and then you can report back to us if it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Amazing how he/she need hoomans to carry out the dirty deeds hey?

Yup just like the xians do not do - NOT!

No what I believe does not affect anything but me.

The claim is by you ilk that it is infallible. Hence the burden of proof is on you. The bible makes no such claim of itself unless you can clearly show me a verse I may have missed in 20 years of study.

Seeing Gideon placed the fleece out to "test" god, it stands to reason that this experiment could be conducted today and dismissed as myth. I mean if god does nothing to make it happen then it is a myth then is it not. Or does Gideon also get a fleece pass?

Debating you I can do from memory alone. But I guess the demons and the debbul also know the scriptures and tremble? Why am I not shaking?
Out of all of this you wrote, you didn't right any facts to back up your opinion, just hot air.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:39 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
well, the way I see it, is even if i believed this "God" of yours did exist, the mere thought of him making some poor fool toss some peeled sticks into a basin of water and then lead him to believe (hmm.. believe.. familiar word, isn't it?) that it changed the outward appearance of passing animals that happened to fornicate nearby, is enough for me to write him off as a psycho.
animals fornicating

Fornication-Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other. Two people who are not married to each other or dating each other having sexual relations.

You say that animals fornicate, and you call God psycho.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Hold on a minute here...It worked for zebras, but only after many thousands of generations living on the savanna. It's called natural selection folks (evolution)....Just takes a lot of time.

Developmental Biology 8e Online: The Development of Zebra Striping Patterns

Old 04-16-2009, 04:18 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Genesis 30:37-39

37 Jacob, however, took fresh-cut branches from poplar, almond and plane trees and made white stripes on them by peeling the bark and exposing the white inner wood of the branches. 38 Then he placed the peeled branches in all the watering troughs, so that they would be directly in front of the flocks when they came to drink. When the flocks were in heat and came to drink, 39 they mated in front of the branches. And they bore young that were streaked or speckled or spotted.
It's ashame the reason for the post is to point out and make fun of some fatal flaw as usual. The truth of the matter is that it is an interesting subject in genetics. There is much more to the matter than the specific tiny bit you've quoted. There is indeed the context before and after to consider. The above mentioned account was a superstious belief of those ancient times of which Jacob may have wanted to believe. But obviously science can never duplicate such a thing. But it was diliberately and honestly recorded for the benefit of an honest and open record as was the usually case of bible writers. It is a common practice of the writers to mention the failings of even God's people.

In the end, Jacob did'nt give his scheme the credit for the success, but rather his Hebrew God Jehovah. Had you gone a little further in the scriptural text, you would have seen this, but we do understand why you did'nt. The entire account itself is Jacob wanting to separate from his Father-In-Law Laban. There is a larger read of the account at Genesis 30:25-43.

Here is where Jacob actually gives the credit for the successful outcome to God rather than his own superstitious scheme. A tradition that believed in paternal & maternal physical observation and sight of something and how it could effect an outcome.Genesis 31:9-12 - "Amplified Bible"
BibleGateway.com - Passage Lookup: Genesis 31:9-12;
Here's the comment on this method Jacob used or employed and the explanation from "JPS Torah Commentary: Genesis" by Nahum M Sarna
Quote:
Another explanation is given in 31:8-12. Here the preffered characteristics are obtained through controlled propagation and transmitted fromparent to progeny. Scientifically, the required results could be achieved by the successive interbreeding of the monochrome (meaning one colour) heterozygotes (an organism having two different alleles of a particular gene and so giving rise to varying offspring), or the single coloured animals that carried recessive genes for spottedness. Such animals are detectable by the characteristic known as heterosis or hybred vigor.

It should be noted here that Jacob claims to have received the idea in a dream. The entire action is thus attributed to divine intervention, not to Jacob's ingenuity.
The commentary makes mention of the sheep of the near east region are of an interbred hybred of the same colour. This was the desired colour standard looked for even today. I have a friend up in Anza , California who raises goats , as an example, and at the Southern California auction where he takes his goats for sale, the prodominently middle eastern buyers of goats do not want any dark or spotted goats, only white or pure light tan or biege coloured types. Interesting to say the least.

It was apparently this single light coloured hybred which were in Laban's flocks. Laban was'nt actually the best of Father-In-Laws to have. He had tried to trick his son-in.law many ties. So Jacob's idea backfired on Laban. The desired coloured flock were not the best. Taking note of the results, Laban tried to alter the contract about which animals were his and those of his nephew - striped, spotty, clour patched or speckled. Laban's only concern was his own personal profit. No matter what Laban did, Jacob's hebrew God Jehovah saw to it that Jacob always prospered.

But back to the dream that Jacob received, it would seem his God Jehovah was here giving Jacob instruction on the modern science of genetics, although Jacob would'ne have come close to having a clue about this or even a fraction of understanding of what we know today. There were no spotted goats in the flocks of the animals Jacob attended for his Father-In-Law. Most were the single coloured hybreds and a few with spots and dark patches. It is apparent that these spots and other colours were always there in those goats, though not visible to the eye. But there presence was revealed to Jacob in that supernatural dream from the angel and made doublely more impressive as the angel pointed them out. We can understand today that the hybred single coloured goats do have the characteristics of the spotted, striped and patches because the germ cells of hereditary factors for spotting and speckling are ever present. Especially since this was revealed long ago by
Gregor Mendel Gregor Mendel (1822-1884) as you can see back in the 19th century and made even more clear through the 20th century to the present.

Of course I realize this was not the desired out come you hoped to hear, but it's still interesting. There are actually several links posted here by the opposers crew in those myhtology threads that are actully good material, but I have'nt commented on them because the ones they are debating with I refuse to support or have any association with.

Still some good stuff.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 AM

657 posts, read 1,599,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
animals fornicating

Fornication-Sexual intercourse between partners who are not married to each other. Two people who are not married to each other or dating each other having sexual relations.

You say that animals fornicate, and you call God psycho.
Oh, I wasn't aware the animals were married.. my mistake. Shall it be "made love" then?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
Oh, I wasn't aware the animals were married.. my mistake. Shall it be "made love" then?
How about procreate - there's a nice clean word that covers well s-x.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality