Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:24 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times

Advertisements

This nonsense that Christians should be running for the woods due to this document is over-played and severely sensationalized. It's absolutely no secret that hate groups such as the KKK and other organizations commonly associated with the Nazi Party require their members to be Christians. I'm not saying that those groups necessarily espouse Christian values, whatever that means, but they play to a certain religious orientation.

There are plenty of hateful organizations in this country that require people to be Christian in order to join.

I noticed on the link to the document provided, there are several highlighted sentences such as It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration. Well, wait a second, I think we have every right to suspect that an issue like abortion can sometimes be a breeding ground for violence. Weren't there a few bombings of abortion clinics during the Clinton administration?

Furthermore, due to the highly "Christian" nature of many of these extremist groups, I severely doubt that any of them wouldn't be fueled by things such as "end times scenarios." Thus, this highlighted statement as a 'cause for concern' from the morons' website:

Antigovernment conspiracy theories and "end times" prophecies could motivate extremist individuals and groups to stockpile food, ammunition, and weapons. These teachings also have been linked with radicalization of domestic extremist groups in the past...

Well, yes, they have. Do I really need to cite examples of people obsessed with "end times" prophecies to the end (no pun intended) that they stockpile food, ammunition and weapons?? You know, like in Waco, Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:45 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Can I make a comparison here:

There was a segment of the Jewish population of 2,000 years ago that believed they were living in the "last days." An abundance of apocalyptic reading material (books such as Enoch, Esdras, Jubilees, et al) popped up around 150 years before the time of Jesus encouraging Jews to resist assimilation and contamination from the Gentile (Greek Hellenism) around them.

Then came the Romans. They infuriated the radical/fundamentalist Jews by installing King Herod on the Jewish throne. Why? The fundamentalist Jew believed that the next king to rule over Israel had to, first of all, be a Jew, which Herod was not, and had to be from the line of David, which Herod was not. To them, this was an affront and an insult. This gave rise to the Sicarii (Jewish assassins) who roamed the land assassinating Jews who were supporters of Herod (Herodians) as well as Roman soldiers and even Jews not conservative enough. In the minds of these radicals, the Roman presence and laxity amongst their brethren in their zeal for the law were clear examples that the end was near. Messiah talk was at a fever pitch, as it was believed God was going to send a warrior like anointed leader to lead the fight against the evil Roman empire. Clearly, not ALL Jews believed as they did, however, they (the Jewish fanatics) rose, unchecked, to a level that allowed them to engulf the rest of their people in a head on collision with Rome.

Other conservative groups like the Essenes decided to leave society and camp out in the desert, believing the rest of the country to be too corrupt. They decided it was best to wait in the desert, purify themselves with strict rules and rituals an await the "teacher of righteousness" to come.

In the end, despite their fantasies, Rome came with a reality check by burning Jerusalem to the ground, crucifying countless Jews, exiling others and dragging the rest into slavery all over the vast empire. No viable messiah ever showed up (despite many claiming they were), but one group of Jews decided to go in a different direction with the messiah idea and we call it Christianity today.

I'm sure you can find the many parallels in that history. Is Obama, for example, seen as a modern day Herod by white supremacists who happen to also call themselves Christians (their self-given label, not mine)? Did a bunch of sell outs and "outsiders" place him on the American "throne" to lord over "true" Americans? Isn't he going to threaten their rights, take away their guns and make them vulnerable to outside threats and influences? Will these people go David Koresh on us, convincing the gullible to "come away" and separate themselves from the rest of the evil society around them, as they anticipate war with the evil U.S Government (Rome)? Will they huddle in caves like the Jew at Masada and fight to the death, even committing suicide than be forced to give up their guns, bible and country? Should Homeland Security watch them closely?

I'm sure other parallels can be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality