U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 AM

3,874 posts, read 1,826,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This week the online polls sprouted: Was this truly a divine revelation, or merely a natural phenomenon? As of today, 19 percent of the click-voters at the Weekly World News backed the idea that the image was "God showing us his presence," as opposed to 35 percent who said it was nothing more than an astronomical event and 46 percent who said it was "an explainable apparition but still illustrates the beauty of what God created." The hubbub over the Hand - Cosmic Log - msnbc.com
There is a really good picture of the hand here:
Quote:
WE'VE already seen pictures of his eye ... now we have the first image of the hand of God.

A ghostly blue cloud seems to form an outstretched thumb and fingers grasping a ball of fire.

The amazing image was taken by NASA's Chandra (http://search.news.com.au/search//0/?us=ndmnews&sid=5014239&as=news&ac=technology&q=NA SA%27s%20Chandra - broken link) X-ray observatory, which is orbiting 580km above the Earth.
NASA Chandra X-ray observatory space picture dubbed 'hand of God' | News | News.com.au
I heard this on the news the other night and in the report they said something to the effect, it was present during the time the Bible was written.

Any way, I don't normally start a thread, because they normal crash and burn. Also, I looked to see if any one had posted this and I didn't see one.

So this is basically a, well this is cool and a, I wish I had a telescope as I find our star studded skies awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:19 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,363,482 times
you reminded me with the verse from quran

وَالسَّمَاءَ بَنَيْنَاهَا بِأَيْدٍ وَإِنَّا لَمُوسِعُونَ
60-47 Waalssamaa banaynaha biaydin wainna lamoosiAAoona

We have built the heaven with might, and We it is Who make the vast extent (thereof).

the literal meaning for biaydin will be " by hands "
anyway , it can to mean power or might either as an interpretation but literally "aydin" means hands

but actually it dosn't refer to hands of God , the verse just said by hands , i will not take it seriously but but your post interested me personally

Old 04-19-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
you reminded me with the verse from quran

وَالسَّمَاءَ بَنَيْنَاهَا بِأَيْدٍ وَإِنَّا لَمُوسِعُونَ
60-47 Waalssamaa banaynaha biaydin wainna lamoosiAAoona

We have built the heaven with might, and We it is Who make the vast extent (thereof).

the literal meaning for biaydin will be " by hands "
anyway , it can to mean power or might either as an interpretation but literally "aydin" means hands

but actually it dosn't refer to hands of God , the verse just said by hands , i will not take it seriously but but your post interested me personally
Thank you for sharing.

To continue to read the first (link above) article about the star patterns the author goes on to say, "Sure enough, the tally has now shifted to 96 percent for the natural stellar formation, and just 4 percent for the literal hand of God."

I thought about attaching a poll here too, but nah, too much trouble as just I find the stars fascinating and enjoy their beauty. In fact I was torn as to post this here or in the science forum.

However, I'm hope that someone with knowledge of astrology in connection with philosophy might share their knowledge.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:18 AM

1,554 posts, read 869,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
There is a really good picture of the hand here:
I heard this on the news the other night and in the report they said something to the effect, it was present during the time the Bible was written.

Any way, I don't normally start a thread, because they normal crash and burn. Also, I looked to see if any one had posted this and I didn't see one.

So this is basically a, well this is cool and a, I wish I had a telescope as I find our star studded skies awesome.

This of course is only an illusion; it is like the imaginary shapes that one sees in the cloud.

God - be glorified - is Superior to be seen by the eyesight; as in the Quran 6: 103
لاَّ تُدْرِكُهُ الأَبْصَارُ وَهُوَ يُدْرِكُ الأَبْصَارَ وَهُوَ اللَّطِيفُ الْخَبِيرُ
The explanation:
(Sights perceive Him not, but He does perceive sights, and He is the Compassionate, the Well-Aware.)

Moreover, some people may have an illusion according to which they imagine God be glorified as some giant or an old angry looking old man, like some of the Greek drawings; while God is Superior to all these illusions, and the mind cannot know His essence and there isnt anything or anyone like to Him.

Some of people think that God created man to His likeness; this is only written in the Torah of Ezra, which is the distorted form of the Torah of God.

See about the Torah of Ezra here:
The Disagreement of the
Then from the list of contents, click on:
The_Torah_[or_Hebrew_Bible]_of_Ezra_

Glory be to God. There isn't anything and anyone similar to God Almighty.

This is according to the Quran 42: 11
فَاطِرُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ جَعَلَ لَكُم مِّنْ أَنفُسِكُمْ أَزْوَاجًا وَمِنَ الْأَنْعَامِ أَزْوَاجًا يَذْرَؤُكُمْ فِيهِ لَيْسَ كَمِثْلِهِ شَيْءٌ وَهُوَ السَّمِيعُ البَصِيرُ
The explanation:
( [God: the] Splitter of the heavens and the earth; He assigned for you mates of your kind, and of the cattle [He assigned of their kind] mates; dispersing you in the [womb of your mothers: males in some wombs and females in others];
there is not, as His likeness, anything; He is the All-Hearing, the All-Seeing.)

There has been an image by a famous artist of the hand of God making the human being (I saw it on the cover of an atlas of human anatomy or a textbook of embryology), and another drawing of the image of god in the form of an angry looking old man ...etc.

The lit. mentioned hand of God in the Quran means the might and the generosity, and that He is Open-handed, and it does not mean any hand like ours.

This is because in the Arab language, they call the might and the dignity as "upper hand" and so on, like the idioms.

Like this aya 48: 10
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يُبَايِعُونَكَ إِنَّمَا يُبَايِعُونَ اللَّهَ يَدُ اللَّهِ فَوْقَ أَيْدِيهِمْ فَمَن نَّكَثَ فَإِنَّمَا يَنكُثُ عَلَى نَفْسِهِ وَمَنْ أَوْفَى بِمَا عَاهَدَعَلَيْهُ اللَّهَ فَسَيُؤْتِيهِ أَجْرًا عَظِيمًا
The explanation:
(Surely, those who swear allegiance to you [Mohammed], swear allegiance only to God [because He has sent you.]

The [surplus-] hand of God is above their [surplus-] hands. [i.e. God's favor on them is more than their favor on you, so let them not boast with their swearing allegiance to you!]

So whosoever breaks his oath, breaks it only to his soul's hurt;

while whosoever keeps his covenant with God, on him will He bestow immense reward [in the Hereafter.])

And this aya 51: 47
و السّماءَ بَنَيناها بِأيدٍ و إنّا لَموسِعون
The explanation:
(And the sky We have built with surplus [from Us], and We are Open-handed more.)

The interpretation:
God says that He has constructed the sky with His surplus; because He is Merciful to people, and He is still more Open-handed; because He is Generous.

See more details about this aya here:
(the answer of Question 1)

Last edited by eanassir; 04-19-2009 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-19-2009, 10:13 AM

7,917 posts, read 11,678,814 times
It looks like God might have a bad case of carpal tunnel. This reminds me of all of the things that people dig up that bears a resemblance to the Virgin Mary or Jesus. Remember the toasted cheese sandwich with the Virgin Mary's image that sold for $28,000 on eBay a few years ago?

Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 AM

24,933 posts, read 18,513,598 times
Have you never laid on your back on a lazy summer morning and gazed at the clouds? One can find all sorts of fantastic "images" in clouds that way....How is this any different, other than they are stellar clouds? Hand or eye of God? I think not, but beautiful none the less.

Take a look at these hubble images of nebulae and let your imagination run free.

HubbleSite - Picture Album: Nebulae

Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 AM

1,692 posts, read 2,393,880 times
I think it is beautiful. Plain and simple. All elements are of God in my book so if I can beleive a tree is of God then why not this stellar mass.
Logic and Science tell me it is not the actual hand of God... still it is a thing of beauty and wonder.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:57 AM

24,933 posts, read 18,513,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
I think it is beautiful. Plain and simple. All elements are of God in my book so if I can beleive a tree is of God then why not this stellar mass.
Logic and Science tell me it is not the actual hand of God... still it is a thing of beauty and wonder.
By golly, you have hit the nail right on the head!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM

971 posts, read 1,033,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell
To continue to read the first (link above) article about the star patterns the author goes on to say, "Sure enough, the tally has now shifted to 96 percent for the natural stellar formation, and just 4 percent for the literal hand of God."
It was featured on Pharyngula, which apparently has a whole category of posts entitled Pointless polls (http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/pointless_polls/ - broken link). Might explain the dramatic shift.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 PM

Question constellations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
It was featured on Pharyngula, which apparently has a whole category of posts entitled Pointless polls (http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/pointless_polls/ - broken link). Might explain the dramatic shift.
That could be Roxolan. People rethink their stance everyday so that could be the shift in the polls as well.

I had heard the news on the star mass; I went to the Internet to find additional news. The article on the poll was one that I found and I thought, why not as people like to bat things back and forth. That is how we come up with new ideas and form new generations of great thinkers.

When I heard the report on the Milkyway having a black hole with a vacuum, I did the same thing. Curiosity and interest lead me to
Milky Way's black hole probed closer than ever before - space - 17 January 2008 - New Scientist I questioned if the earth was going to get sucked up into the vacuum million years into the future. That would certainly explain the Biblical count of fire destroying the earth.

However, as some say one can see justifiable images in the cloud formations of the sky, as well. However, my interest lies in the Greek Gods of the sky, Zeus Apollo and then there are of course constellations of astronomy (Capricorn there are stars that form a goat, etc) and wondered if anyone understood philosophy as it relates to astronomy?

Yes, it is a group of stars surrounded by a blue mass that make up the form of a hand. Whether or not a person perceives the formation to be that of the hand/eye of God is up to them. It is beautiful, none-the-less.

I believe the Bible was written by scholars of astronomy, philosophy, scientist, ect. that existed in the day and they wrote down a journal of what was and how they perceived the future of man to be, based on their day and time.

Does the form of the stars though relate to the Greek God's constellations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality