U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2009, 01:59 PM

3,587 posts, read 3,703,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
How do I know? I take it on Faith, and if I had the faith of a mustard seed, I could tell that mountain to move, and the mountain would move! Thats all I need to know...

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Nice answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,087,138 times
To answer the OP's question.

Christians do NOT know that the Bible is the truth. They just assume that it is based aon weak historical data and blind faith. And they get offended and uncomfortable when you question them about it because deep down, they know it might not be true. And they know it is only one version of the truth.

There's the answer.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM

11,441 posts, read 9,236,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
To answer the OP's question.

Christians do NOT know that the Bible is the truth. They just assume that it is based aon weak historical data and blind faith. And they get offended and uncomfortable when you question them about it because deep down, they know it might not be true. And they know it is only one version of the truth.

There's the answer.
That's why christians have the reputation as being removed from reality, being extremely gullible and easy to fool. Many evangelists and preachers refer to the bible as the truth, but provide no proof. For the christians the axiom is: believing something to be true makes it true.
Of course they feel uncomfortable and regard all thinking as a threat to their secure little mythological bubbles.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 PM

12,426 posts, read 6,290,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
What does this prove, you made it up, so what. Proves nothing.

I once knew of a guy that made up a story of a bomb threat, does that mean that all who come up with a bomb threat is lying.

You made up your own little map, what does that have to do with anything. When given information, you can make things out of what you have.

I can create an old war suit from Mesopotamian war dated 2,700 BCE. All I need is the material and the information.

Does that mean that the war was fake or not real, or the suit was fake. Or I just piggy backed off of the information that was provided?
well i realy did the fake treasure map!!!! i did not make it up.. and whether i did or did not realy does not matter.. it just proves that it's easy to forge or misenterpret something.. you can't prove to me that all the old testaments of the entire world were not tampered with.... so you might be following the word of the devil himself... just look at how many religions exist around the world !!they all can't be telling the truth. god is god!! books are books and books can be forged and misenterpreted very easaly!!!! it happends on this very forum everyday... and as for the treasure maps i could prove that i made them if i could find the persons that found them.. only i know all the little details about those maps... but when i die then they could never be proven as fakes.. i actualy did an artical in the local news paper after the maps were found to who ever found them that they were fakes.. i have the book that the pages were taken from..

ohh and you answered you own question!! you don't know that the old testaments around the world speak the truth.. the devil works in mysterious ways remember the devil has as much power as god.. or the earth would be peacefull place like heaven...

Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 PM

20,473 posts, read 8,916,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
2 Timothy 3:16 (All scripture) is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
So..........if one thing in the book "inspired by God" is proven not true, does that mean the book is not inspired by God?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:15 PM

663 posts, read 1,195,632 times
You know, it simply amazes me that athiests always want to disprove that there 'is' a GOD... They want to think some cosmic carma was involved and that we got here by some accident of colliding meteroids and astroids and some soupy mix that happened to split in to so many thousands of types of vegatation and animals and everything in between! It just aint gonna happen!

How I believe in the Bible? Its my own belief, that its the personal book of what the LORD wanted us to know! Moses wrote the first 5 books, and GOD handed the Ten Commandments down to him as well as the history that HE 'wanted' us to keep in rememberance. The other books were written by those whom the LORD chose to write for HIM.

I dont need anyone to tell me I am wrong in believing that the Bible is literal or figurative in any sense, all I know is that its the 'Truth' that I have to follow! If I do what it says, if I am 'saved' and am baptised and I believe that JESUS is the SON of GOD, and part of the GODHEAD, and I try to live my life as a Christians and have my sins forgiven by the 'blood of the LAMB', then, I will go to Heaven as my reward for loving the LORD with all my heart!

If 'you' choose not to believe, its your right! I will not try to persuade you otherwise, because we all have 'choice'... We were all given the 'freedom of choice' and the right to choose right from wrong. Your right may not be my right, and your wrong may not be my wrong...What I choose to be right and wrong is what the Bible says is right and wrong. Its my 'literal guidebook'! Its how I will get to Heaven when I leave this Earth.

You have choices to make, either follow it, and its teaching and love the LORD, and make JESUS CHRIST your Master and Saviour, or, turn away from HIM and follow your own course and hope for the best... Its your destiny, no one can make up your mind, and only you can follow your heart.

I can pray for you, but, it will do no good if you dont follow the LORD, but, I still will, as its the best I can do for you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,641,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
This just doesn't make sense.

So God created the world 6000 years ago, to already be at an old age.....

So how do you explain dinosaur fossils?

How do you explain scientific data that humans existed on earth as far back as 10,000 years ago?

How do you explain the age of the sun in our solar system?

Are you saying that God created these things 6000 years ago, somehow giving them a past in non-linear time???

Where do other planets and solar sytems come into play? When do you think that God created extraterrestrial life?

You are definitely stretching things here. You want to believe that this theory is reasonable, but it's really, really pushing the limits of what is reasonable.
Honestly, I don't try funky. Do I believe God created the heavens and the earth? Yes, I do. Do I necessarily know when He created them, or how old they were when created? No, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Wow! This is a new spin! Congratulations on contorting the bible into science!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This is fitting a square peg into a round hole!

God played a few tricks here just to keep us guessing or to test our faith?
Sorry it's seems so confusing to you. Makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
could u make some sence the earth is 4.5 billion years old and the universe is 13.5 billion years old.

don't you realy love smilies there great tony the tiger
Let me go slower...I believe God could have created the earth to be as old as He wanted it to be, just as He did with Adam.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
how do you know the future has been accurately foretold?

There is tons of speculation, and the bible is vague enough that christians could (and do) apply it wherever they want..

oh, and still.. tons of "why don't YOU believe the bible is true" and no answers to the OP's question..

simply fortifying the fact that nobody knows why they believe, except that someone told them to, or they would go to hell, and they fell for it.
Why don't people read all the posts before they make such comments? I have answered the darn question! Some may not like my answer, but I gave my opinion.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace
How do I know? I take it on Faith, and if I had the faith of a mustard seed, I could tell that mountain to move, and the mountain would move! Thats all I need to know...

I wish you well...

Jesse

Well, lookie there! Another answer. Imagine that.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM

5,356 posts, read 3,482,133 times
Christians say they can move mountains with faith, and that seems all miraculous and proves the power of God.

But when it comes time to actually move the mountain, they have to admit that it just a slogan to help recruitment and retention. They know they can't really do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality