U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:35 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,238,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post

Faith in God that He would make sure we at least have what we need to know to be saved. And no, I have no problem saying that.
Some christians believe every word of the bible is literally true, while others don't.

Which camp do you fall into, if you don't mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:35 PM

668 posts, read 1,746,360 times
How do I know? I take it on Faith, and if I had the faith of a mustard seed, I could tell that mountain to move, and the mountain would move! Thats all I need to know...

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
How do I know? I take it on Faith, and if I had the faith of a mustard seed, I could tell that mountain to move, and the mountain would move! Thats all I need to know...

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Do you believe every word of the bible is literally true, or no?

If you believe every word is literally true, why do you have faith in that? Which versus do you rely on which state that all the other books which later became the bible would necessarily be true? If not versus, what causes you to have faith?

Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 PM

5,161 posts, read 7,718,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
The bible is a conglomeration of stories from a bunch of fishermen and original hippies, edited and glamorized several times!
And you believe them?
I disagree with the notion that hippies contributed to the Bible.

They wouldn't advocate so many murders and rapes.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:40 PM

I guess what I'm getting at here is this:

What is the the basis or foundation that causes some Christians to have faith in the literal translation of the entire bible, while other Christians believe that not all of the bible is literally true?

Old 04-19-2009, 07:45 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I disagree with the notion that hippies contributed to the Bible.

They wouldn't advocate so many murders and rapes.
Charles Manson and his tribe were hippies.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 PM

5,161 posts, read 7,718,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
Charles Manson and his tribe were hippies.
Hippies advocate peace.

Dressing like a hippie doesn't make you one.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 PM

4,175 posts, read 5,593,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
OK, but you having faith alone does not make anything true to others. I know your faith is good enough for you but how do you explain the apparent lack of power of a 'true" god at multiple levels:

- atheists/agnostics: the powerful god apparently cannot convince all mankind that he even exists

-- multiple religions: god cannot even convince people there is 1 "real" religion

-- within each religion: even within religions, including christianity, there are differeng versions and interpretations

Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,073,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
how do you know the bible is telling the truth?? the holy bible was written like 2000 years ago the first bible was written by hand... and probablly was used a lot being it was the only bible in existance... and you know all used books get old and worn and have to be rewritten after a period of time say like 50 years.. and each time it gets rewritten the new author adds some new twist and meanings and verses.and forgeries. so how do you know that the holy bible is the holy bible!!! and not the holy bible full of book worms.

and that go's for all the other holy bibles like the Qu'ran.
How do you know that's it's not. You can choose to not believe in the bible, but when some do then that is their choice.

Again how do you know that it is not true?

Old 04-19-2009, 07:57 PM

29,462 posts, read 28,626,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
How do you know that's it's not. You can choose to not believe in the bible, but when some do then that is their choice.

Again how do you know that it is not true?
It's easy. It just takes a bit of research and an open mind...Do you qualify?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality