U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 AM

3,586 posts, read 5,029,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So prove me wrong. After all that is what the topic is...How do you know that the bible is telling the truth?
Prove you wrong on what you haven't provided any research as you said that you had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,697,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
There were not "bibles" from the time of Christ. The NT was written almost 100 years later and the earliest manuscripts are from about 200AD.

Most all of Jesus' references to what was written was to clarify the issues which were written about. For example, the Sabbath, divorce, adultery, an eye for an eye, etc.................
I am talking about the Torah. The law and the phrophets. Most of these are found in the manuscripts found known as the dead sea scrolls.

The manuscripts of the NT were written closer to the time of Christ. For example Matthew was writtten by Matthew about 40 AD. All of the NT was completed in the first century, because if we look at the letters other than the bible in the first century we can find every verse quote excluding a couple from timothy.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,697,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The age of the earth is > 6000 years. Adam was not the first human.

The Dating of Neanderthal Sites

Evolution: Humans: Origins of Humankind
The bible is aproximately 6000 years old, Adam is the first human!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:41 AM

29,351 posts, read 28,304,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Prove you wrong on what you haven't provided any research as you said that you had?
I have provided research...How do you research things? Pray?

It's up to you now to prove that the bible is true.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The bible is aproximately 6000 years old, Adam is the first human!
Good grief! I would have thought that you would know that the earliest scriptures date back about 3,300 years, not 6,000...

Old 04-20-2009, 11:12 AM

54 posts, read 89,072 times
Default the warnings stated in the bible are beginning to appear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
In the minds of fundamentalists, to even actually ask themselves that question, they would cease to be Christians.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I agree with this 100%. Ironically it is part of why I am Non-Christian.
I dont think you are a non-christian, I think you come to this site to learn, what someone never taught you. If you were so against it you wouldn't waste the time being here..awww God does love you, no matter what!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 AM

Default instructions

If you dont know, the bible is an instruction manual.
It will tell you why, where, when etc. when following
the instructions, you will have a wonderful, fulfilled life.I myself
don't understand alot of it, but the parts I do understand make
it known that life here on earth is like filling out an application.
When you die, you will know if you got the job.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:45 AM

3,586 posts, read 5,029,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I have provided research...How do you research things? Pray?

It's up to you now to prove that the bible is true.
LOL, you haven't provided any of your research.

Is this your research?

providing a site, where is your research?

Or is this it?

To begin with Moses probably was not involved it writing any part of the bible. The five books of Pentateuch are ascribed to Moses. But by the eighteenth century, many European scholars noticed problems with that assumption. Not only does Deuteronomy end with an account of Moses' death, but the entire Pentateuch shows anomalies of style that are hard to explain if only one author is involved. By the nineteenth century, most scholars agreed that the Pentateuch consisted of four sources woven together. They were combined together to form our Pentateuch sometime in the sixth century BCE. In my opinion the bible was cobbled together by many different people who ascribed the writings arbitrarily to who ever they decided to.

I'm still waiting your research, not a site. YOu asked for me to provide, but you came here talking about your research and your proof. I'm waiting for the research that you said that you did, not a site.

I can give you a site, but that is not my research.

I'm really tired of going around in circles, when you give your research then I will be back with you, until then, I want spend anymore of my time.

I can provide millions of sites that I believe into match your site, but that is not my research, that is just reading what someone else thinks.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
LOL, you haven't provided any of your research.

Is this your research?

providing a site, where is your research?

Or is this it?

To begin with Moses probably was not involved it writing any part of the bible. The five books of Pentateuch are ascribed to Moses. But by the eighteenth century, many European scholars noticed problems with that assumption. Not only does Deuteronomy end with an account of Moses' death, but the entire Pentateuch shows anomalies of style that are hard to explain if only one author is involved. By the nineteenth century, most scholars agreed that the Pentateuch consisted of four sources woven together. They were combined together to form our Pentateuch sometime in the sixth century BCE. In my opinion the bible was cobbled together by many different people who ascribed the writings arbitrarily to who ever they decided to.

I'm still waiting your research, not a site. YOu asked for me to provide, but you came here talking about your research and your proof. I'm waiting for the research that you said that you did, not a site.

I can give you a site, but that is not my research.

I'm really tired of going around in circles, when you give your research then I will be back with you, until then, I want spend anymore of my time.

I can provide millions of sites that I believe into match your site, but that is not my research, that is just reading what someone else thinks.
I ask again how do you research? Everyone I know reads what scholars, scientists, theologians and other knowledgeable people have discovered on whatever topic they are interested in...Nowadays almost everything is available online. Please explain your method of research, if not this method. You say you have college experience. How did you manage to research what was needed if not from books etc?

I think you simply do not want to know or read anything that conflicts with your blind faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality