Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post

Faith in God that He would make sure we at least have what we need to know to be saved. And no, I have no problem saying that.

My faith in God tells me that he would not have commanded the Hebrews to commit genecide, take young girls for sex, enslave people and beat them if necessary, buy wives as if they are objects, etc............................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I guess what I'm getting at here is this:

What is the the basis or foundation that causes some Christians to have faith in the literal translation of the entire bible, while other Christians believe that not all of the bible is literally true?
I believe that many Christians were indoctrinated to believe if they did not take the entire Bible literally, they would ultimately end up in hell.

The twisted logic is: the bible is the inspired word of God. If someone does not believe every word as literal truth, they are calling God a liar. If you add to or take away from the bible, you also are tampering with the inspired word of God. You must accept all or none. Therefore, if you do not accept all of it, you are refusing all of it including salvation.

The fear of going to hell is the basis or foundation the causes Christians to have faith in the literal translation of the entire bible.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
how do you know the bible is telling the truth?? the holy bible was written like 2000 years ago the first bible was written by hand... and probablly was used a lot being it was the only bible in existance... and you know all used books get old and worn and have to be rewritten after a period of time say like 50 years.. and each time it gets rewritten the new author adds some new twist and meanings and verses.and forgeries. so how do you know that the holy bible is the holy bible!!! and not the holy bible full of book worms.

and that go's for all the other holy bibles like the Qu'ran.
Because we have bibles from the time of Christ. The modern bibles are supported the ones that predate Christ. And since Jesus who is God supported and used the bible that we know then we can trust what we have. Don't you think Jesus would have said "Wait a minute, this is not what I told Abraham"??? (or something similiar to any verse in errror)

BTW your theory of the bible changing over time is based on your belief in evolution and minut changes in the genetic code over time. The bible is a holy book and treated as sacred. The copying of the text was extremely carefully done. So, there is no errors in the bible. Most problems we have is through name changes of persons or places (a city gets renamed but the older name is used in the bible) or translation problems.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
And that research is?
The age of the earth is > 6000 years. Adam was not the first human.

The Dating of Neanderthal Sites

Evolution: Humans: Origins of Humankind

Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Because we have bibles from the time of Christ. The modern bibles are supported the ones that predate Christ. And since Jesus who is God supported and used the bible that we know then we can trust what we have. Don't you think Jesus would have said "Wait a minute, this is not what I told Abraham"??? (or something similiar to any verse in errror)

BTW your theory of the bible changing over time is based on your belief in evolution and minut changes in the genetic code over time. The bible is a holy book and treated as sacred. The copying of the text was extremely carefully done. So, there is no errors in the bible. Most problems we have is through name changes of persons or places (a city gets renamed but the older name is used in the bible) or translation problems.
There were not "bibles" from the time of Christ. The NT was written almost 100 years later and the earliest manuscripts are from about 200AD.

Most all of Jesus' references to what was written was to clarify the issues which were written about. For example, the Sabbath, divorce, adultery, an eye for an eye, etc.................

Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 AM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
By saying Moses is probably not the author or part of the bible is not showing facts and European scholars have yet to say that they have found facts to back up their claim.

Just because the Penateuch is a hard style to explain that does not mean that one author is involved.

You worded it just right, your opinion. Your opinion has nothing to do with disproving the bible, or even saying that Moses is not the author of a book.

Is this your evidence, you said that you had research, but all you provided was a site and your opinion.
So prove me wrong. After all that is what the topic is...How do you know that the bible is telling the truth?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
well just go to post [number 4]-- and read the quote they missed that one!!! and since when is questioning the bible mocking god himself... the only difference is that i used the word babble insted of bible big deal god is probably still laughing... you just can't answear the question gosh.

i talk to god all the time!!!!and i never mock god himself i just don't use some old scripture that was rewritten and probably altered and forged to fit the new authors beleafs....get a sence of hummer!!!!

always looking for signs.. and may the god force be with you to.
Sorry I don't have a "sence of hummer" according to you. Maybe you should get a dictionary. Here's a tip for you, if you're typing, and a red line comes up under the word, it's telling you it's misspelled. Right click on the word, and it'll show you how to spell it.

You're right, you weren't mocking God, you were mocking His word. My mistake. You knew it would be offensive when you typed it, and that's the point.

If you're going to start a thread, you really should keep on top of it. I already answered the question, or at least the one boxcar rephrased in an intelligent manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
My faith in God tells me that he would not have commanded the Hebrews to commit genecide, take young girls for sex, enslave people and beat them if necessary, buy wives as if they are objects, etc............................
Everyone is entitled to believe what they want!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 AM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Everyone is entitled to believe what they want!

The only problem is belief, or faith proves nothing. I will reword what I said earlier...The bible is not what you believe it is.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:15 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
I have a question and I do not mean it to be disrespectful, it is merely a question to obtain some knowledge. My question is. Who first decided that this sacred book, that the Christians call the Bible, was the divine word of your God and that it was written by your God and that every word in it was true? I would be interested as to how all of this got started, what's the history behind this?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
i dare not even think science fiction, let alone backways.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality