U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2019, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,455 posts, read 10,446,383 times
Reputation: 2641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Well, I for one believe scripture and science (fact/observation,...
...and what do you do when science contradicts your Bible?

Quote:
...but not every 'theory'), each in it's proper place!
...and what method do you use to decide what to believe and what not to believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2019, 05:16 PM
 
Location: USA
311 posts, read 101,328 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
….. science contradicts your Bible?
...
doesn't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2019, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,455 posts, read 10,446,383 times
Reputation: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
doesn't

Does.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblic...entific_errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 04:43 AM
 
Location: NSW
2,794 posts, read 1,897,211 times
Reputation: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Judging by the way God acted in the Bible....God was probably about 7 years old in the OT, by the NT he was probably somewhere in the 13-15 range. Since there have been no new 'inspired' texts, who knows where he is at now. Who knows if he is even alive still?
He is the alpha and omega mate.
As I have been told before, He is timeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 09:55 AM
 
39,925 posts, read 11,178,949 times
Reputation: 5162
As has been remarked before, it makes no sense to postulate a complex being that existed without any origin of its' own. It is a convenient claim for theism, to be sure, but that doesn't make it coherent. cogent or compelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,805 posts, read 2,925,251 times
Reputation: 2914
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Judging by the way God acted in the Bible....God was probably about 7 years old in the OT, by the NT he was probably somewhere in the 13-15 range. Since there have been no new 'inspired' texts, who knows where he is at now. Who knows if he is even alive still?
The bible god is alive and well. A god can only die when people stop believing in it. It just fades away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2019, 11:17 PM
 
683 posts, read 179,133 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
He is the alpha and omega mate.
As I have been told before, He is timeless.
God is in you. God is in me. God is in all His creations. If you are 40 years old, God is 40 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 12:49 AM
 
13,218 posts, read 13,778,277 times
Reputation: 9217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
As has been remarked before, it makes no sense to postulate a complex being that existed without any origin of its' own. It is a convenient claim for theism, to be sure, but that doesn't make it coherent. cogent or compelling.
that's what eternal is.
no beginning no end.

eternal is entirely coherent.

if someone only knows black-and-white, they may claim color is not "coherent, cogent, or compelling."
however those who see color, well, of course know what color is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 01:54 AM
 
39,925 posts, read 11,178,949 times
Reputation: 5162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
that's what eternal is.
no beginning no end.

eternal is entirely coherent.

if someone only knows black-and-white, they may claim color is not "coherent, cogent, or compelling."
however those who see color, well, of course know what color is.
You are of course doing the appeal to Unknowns fallacy. Somewhat allied to the 'They denied powered flight' fallacy. It goes like this:

'people who can't see colour deny colour'. This seems on the face of it a sound argument on analogy because we know there is colour. But the analogy fails when you use that to argue that those who don't see ghosts, fairies and leprechauns deny that they exist. Even those who can't see colour can at least understand the mechanism by which light is split even if they can't see it, just as we know that there are rays that we can't see. Colour is in fact scientifically demonstrable even to those who can't experience it. But gods ghosts and fairies have not been scientifically demonstrated and so there is no reason to believe those who claim that they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 11:47 AM
 
13,218 posts, read 13,778,277 times
Reputation: 9217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You are of course doing the appeal to Unknowns fallacy. Somewhat allied to the 'They denied powered flight' fallacy. It goes like this:

'people who can't see colour deny colour'. This seems on the face of it a sound argument on analogy because we know there is colour. But the analogy fails when you use that to argue that those who don't see ghosts, fairies and leprechauns deny that they exist. Even those who can't see colour can at least understand the mechanism by which light is split even if they can't see it, just as we know that there are rays that we can't see. Colour is in fact scientifically demonstrable even to those who can't experience it. But gods ghosts and fairies have not been scientifically demonstrated and so there is no reason to believe those who claim that they exist.
many people grasp and understand eternal.
it sounds like you are not one of them.

it is that straightforward.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-19-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top