U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,829,231 times

Advertisements

God is a timeless, ageless, and imperfect artifact of human mental systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 05:03 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,263,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It's logical to conclude that he exists outside of space/time.
Not unless you can prove that he exists and is immune to the effects of time.

Learn how logic works, then get back to us.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:18 PM

13,624 posts, read 11,058,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
If I go to a NY Giants game, and the clock is showing 5 minutes left in the half, do I have time to get a beer before halftime, if it takes me 8 minutes to get a beer?

Yes. How? The 5 minutes is game time. It will stop several times before it expires. 5 minutes of game time is different from 5 minutes of actual time. It will take them over 10 minutes most likely to play the remaining 5 minutes of game time. Actual time is "meta" to game time.

That "time" is within the game. If a player gets hurt, the time is stopped and the player who is hurt gets medical attention on the field. Does this mean he is not getting medical attention since it is happening outside of "time" in the context of the game? Yes and no. He is not getting medical attention in the context of the game's timing; yet meta to the game's own parameters, including its time, he IS getting treatment during the game's actual time.

If God exists and he is metaphysical, that is, above the physical, including our physical concept of "time", then He is not bound by time. Just as I am not bound by the game clock in getting my beer, God is not bound by time in His existence. At the Giants game, I don't start walking when the game clock starts and then freeze wherever I am every time the game clock stops when I go to get a beer. I am not bound by the game's time. I am above that. I am bound by actual time, not game time. God is not bound by the "time" of our world or universe if He is indeed "metaphysical", or above the physicality of our universe.

I hope that helps make it more understandable.
well i think god exist in every partical that is in every univerese!!!! and that another intelegent life form in another galaxy like 13.5 billion years ago was to curiouse and stupid to mess around with partical smashing or colliding science.. in other words they smashed the wrong partical the partical that exist in all particals..and that's what created the big bang.. don't you think it's kina strange that it takes the bigest scientific instrument or machine in the world to find the smallest partical!!!! there is no end to iner space or outer space it's all relative... i think the quark is the smallest partical ever detected by scientific instuments... if the scientific community keeps persuing the quest to know how the universe was created they might recreate the big bang all over again.... god might have set a limit on how small of a partical inteligent life forms could smash...if the individual partical that god set as the triger were to be smashed it will create a chainreaction and poof!!!! we are all gone... don't you think that god would set limits for inteligent life... if inteligent life could figure out how particals were created they might be come as powerfull as the creator himself... and no creator would let that happen..

moral of the story is curiosity killed the cat.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,829,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
well i think god exist in every partical that is in every univerese!!!! and that another intelegent life form in another galaxy like 13.5 billion years ago was to curiouse and stupid to mess around with partical smashing or colliding science.. in other words they smashed the wrong partical the partical that exist in all particals..and that's what created the big bang.. don't you think it's kina strange that it takes the bigest scientific instrument or machine in the world to find the smallest partical!!!! there is no end to iner space or outer space it's all relative... i think the quark is the smallest partical ever detected by scientific instuments... if the scientific community keeps persuing the quest to know how the universe was created they might recreate the big bang all over again.... god might have set a limit on how small of a partical inteligent life forms could smash...if the individual partical that god set as the triger were to be smashed it will create a chainreaction and poof!!!! we are all gone... don't you think that god would set limits for inteligent life... if inteligent life could figure out how particals were created they might be come as powerfull as the creator himself... and no creator would let that happen..

moral of the story is curiosity killed the cat.
Um....could you restate this for me? Could you simplify it for me a little?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
No, I didn't read the link because I don't need man to tell me when you go backwards to Adam and Eve, you have about 6000 years. That's all fine and good. But we're not talking about Adam and Eve...

First, the Bible says in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. No one knows when the "beginning" was. No one knows how long it sat void before God created the light. Could've been a day, could've been a billion years.

Second, why does that not make sense? When He created Adam, He created him an adult, right? A full grown, older man. So then why couldn't He have created the earth full grown, at any age He wanted?
I don't think what the bible says has much to do with the question...There were many many gods before the bible came into existence. The god of your bible is just the one you happen to believe in.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:53 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,872,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't think what the bible says has much to do with the question...There were many many gods before the bible came into existence. The god of your bible is just the one you happen to believe in.
The question is, how old is God? Everyone has assumed it's referring to the God of the Bible.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM

30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
The question is, how old is God? Everyone has assumed it's referring to the God of the Bible.
No I don't think so, at least I didn't. I suppose that is because in my book one god is as good (or bad) as another. Judging by the posts I am not alone in thinking the question was not entirely about the biblical god

Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,913,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you mean like when is his birthday or something?
my best shot is his son, around christmas sometime.
Haha. Of course, Christmas was a Pagan Winter Solstice celebration (just like Eostre for the Spring equinox) before melding with Christian mythology.

I'd say God is 42 years old.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:30 PM

668 posts, read 1,905,091 times
I will make it a point to ask HIM, when I get to see HIM....

I hope that your with me when I do!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,669,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Haha. Of course, Christmas was a Pagan Winter Solstice celebration (just like Eostre for the Spring equinox) before melding with Christian mythology.

I'd say God is 42 years old.
No, Christmas was always Christmas and Pagan Winter Solstices were always Pagan Winter Solstices. Christmas was never a Pagan Winter Solstice, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality