U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,669,384 times
Reputation: 2648

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This is all off topic, but the reason Christmas falls so close to the Winter Solstice and Easter falls so close to the Spring Equinox is because they melded Christian mythology with Pagan mythology when Christians were taking over Europe. They couldn't destroy the Pagans, so they just overtook their holidays.
Mostly wrong, a little bit right...

The original Christian holidays of Christmas and "Easter", or Paschal as it is originally called (and still called by some churches) are purely Christian.

They are both traditional dates based on Church history and tradition. Christmas, on Dec. 25 as the West mostly knows it, IS a moved date...however, Christmas originally was in early January, not December. The Western (Roman) Church moved their celebration of it. Even then, they acknowledge the "little Christmas" of Jan 6 but moved the major celebration to overlap w/ Saturnalia to distract from the pagan holiday.

But to say that the roots of the Christian holidays are in any way Pagan is misleading and untrue. The only truth there is in any link to paganism is that the Western Christmas is celebrated on the 25th to squelch a pagan holiday.

My Church still celebrates Christmas on Jan. 6, and we have done so since long before the Dec. 25 date.

And "Easter", again in Western Christianity the term was coopted to squelch a pagan holiday that was near to it. Eastern Churches still tend to call it "Paschal" or some variation which has to do with its real root in the Jewish Passover.

To say that Easter, as in the Christian holiday, has pagan roots would implicate Jewish Passover as having pagan roots also, and that is not true. Christian Easter is linked to Judaism, not paganism. Only the name is coopted from paganism in an effort to squelch, not endorse, the pagan holiday near to it. Of course, modern Easter is loaded with other folk/pagan customs as well but the holiday itself is and always was a Christian one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,879 posts, read 31,761,982 times
Reputation: 12624
But, but, the entire Christian faith is based on pagan mythology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,669,384 times
Reputation: 2648
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
But, but, the entire Christian faith is based on pagan mythology.
Oh yeah, that's right... how silly of me, I forgot. Let me change my answer.

xianity is just repackaged paganism, xmas is when xians copied the Norse religions by lighting candles and decorating trees and easter is a pagan fertility holiday where u think the bunnies come from HUH?

also why fundies such SHEEPLES? they gotta have a sky daddy or sky fairy tell them what's right and wrong? lolmao! hey fundys! PROVE to me that the Flying Spaggeddi Monstar doesn't exist! HA You can't! See how dum your argument is for GOD? How could u go against all the scientists in the world?

Y do u all worship a sky daddy? it's like the tooth fairy or Santy Claws. Fundies have no idea of LOGIC. I don't know y they hate LOGIC so much and never use LOGIC.

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 3,872,501 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
the bible says the earth is 6000 years old and evolution says the earth is 4.5 billion years old and that the univeres is 13.5 billion years old.. so when did the creator come to be?? i would think that the creator is way older than 13.5 billion years damn!!!! one day of our time could be like a million years to gods time... so i would think the creator would be at least a googol years old.

1 followed by one hundred zeros is a googol!!! so how old is god????and i think 50 years old is old
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No I don't think so, at least I didn't. I suppose that is because in my book one god is as good (or bad) as another. Judging by the posts I am not alone in thinking the question was not entirely about the biblical god
You may not have thought so, but it sure seems cruxan was referring to the biblical God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 07:06 AM
 
11,145 posts, read 13,912,032 times
Reputation: 4209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Mostly wrong, a little bit right...

The original Christian holidays of Christmas and "Easter", or Paschal as it is originally called (and still called by some churches) are purely Christian.

They are both traditional dates based on Church history and tradition. Christmas, on Dec. 25 as the West mostly knows it, IS a moved date...however, Christmas originally was in early January, not December. The Western (Roman) Church moved their celebration of it. Even then, they acknowledge the "little Christmas" of Jan 6 but moved the major celebration to overlap w/ Saturnalia to distract from the pagan holiday.

But to say that the roots of the Christian holidays are in any way Pagan is misleading and untrue. The only truth there is in any link to paganism is that the Western Christmas is celebrated on the 25th to squelch a pagan holiday.

My Church still celebrates Christmas on Jan. 6, and we have done so since long before the Dec. 25 date.

And "Easter", again in Western Christianity the term was coopted to squelch a pagan holiday that was near to it. Eastern Churches still tend to call it "Paschal" or some variation which has to do with its real root in the Jewish Passover.

To say that Easter, as in the Christian holiday, has pagan roots would implicate Jewish Passover as having pagan roots also, and that is not true. Christian Easter is linked to Judaism, not paganism. Only the name is coopted from paganism in an effort to squelch, not endorse, the pagan holiday near to it. Of course, modern Easter is loaded with other folk/pagan customs as well but the holiday itself is and always was a Christian one.
Ummm... that's exactly what I said. So, I was right, just didn't go into the detail you did. Same outcome though:

When Christianity was expanding in lock-step with economic and political empires (it always does - developing countries are the new market today), they integrated Christian traditions with existing Pagan holidays. Their intentions were certainly to squelch the Pagans, but for whatever reason they just couldn't bring themselves to commit mass genocide against a very spiritually enlightened people like we did in the United States so they worked with the existing cultures and today we celebrate a hybrid of Christian and Pagan traditions.

Unless, of course, I missed that verse in the Bible about dragging a tree into your home or searching for eggs left by a massive rabbit.


anyway - enough. Start a new thread if you want to discuss this further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,829,231 times
Reputation: 977
I think god is either 7 or 13 years old. I'm not sure which.
At about 7 years old, a person begins to be able to be aware of themselves and can remember later in life their personal history. Yeah, this happens earlier for some, later for others, but I think by 7 most people have reached the age of reason.
At about 13 years old, a person is able to conceive and have children.

So--here is my theory--the myth that we describe as god today has an emotional intelligence of a 7 year old in some things, and a 13 year old in others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,669,384 times
Reputation: 2648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Ummm... that's exactly what I said. So, I was right, just didn't go into the detail you did. Same outcome though:

When Christianity was expanding in lock-step with economic and political empires (it always does - developing countries are the new market today), they integrated Christian traditions with existing Pagan holidays. Their intentions were certainly to squelch the Pagans, but for whatever reason they just couldn't bring themselves to commit mass genocide against a very spiritually enlightened people like we did in the United States so they worked with the existing cultures and today we celebrate a hybrid of Christian and Pagan traditions.

Unless, of course, I missed that verse in the Bible about dragging a tree into your home or searching for eggs left by a massive rabbit.


anyway - enough. Start a new thread if you want to discuss this further.
Western Christian churches did this, not the Eastern ones. That's my point. It is not "Christianity" but rather some Christian churches which did this. There are many Christians in the world who do not drag a tree into the home or search for eggs left by a massive rabbit. It's ethno-centric to think that these things represent all of Christendom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,829,231 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Western Christian churches did this, not the Eastern ones. That's my point. It is not "Christianity" but rather some Christian churches which did this. There are many Christians in the world who do not drag a tree into the home or search for eggs left by a massive rabbit. It's ethno-centric to think that these things represent all of Christendom.
I like the tree. I like the eggs. I don't much like the rabbit--he's not house broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,669,384 times
Reputation: 2648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I like the tree. I like the eggs. I don't much like the rabbit--he's not house broken.
I like the chocolate, but I don't think that was ever a religious tradition of anyone's until more recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2009, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,829,231 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I like the chocolate, but I don't think that was ever a religious tradition of anyone's until more recently.
A lack of chocolate...probably was the cause of the crusades and the inquisition...no chocolate makes a person grumpy. I shoulda thought about this earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top