Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 05:28 PM

1,339 posts, read 649,340 times

Advertisements

I feel like a lot of people create a version of what they want God to be in their minds, focus hard on it, then when great things happen in their life, they say "God's plan is perfect. Glory be to Him!"

It baffles me. How do people know what God's plans are? What makes people think everything God does is perfect? Any idea of God being bad or making mistakes is just unspeakable. If a car broke down, either satan did it or God has plans for you and wanted your car to break down so you could fix it.

Seems like people create this version of God in their minds then come up with a way to make God look good when things happen in their lives, bad or good. If they have no idea why something happened, people just shrug their shoulders and say "God must be planning something...."

Not an atheist but I feel like there's lot of blind followers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 05:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I feel like a lot of people create a version of what they want God to be in their minds, focus hard on it, then when great things happen in their life, they say "God's plan is perfect. Glory be to Him!"

It baffles me. How do people know what God's plans are? What makes people think everything God does is perfect? Any idea of God being bad or making mistakes is just unspeakable. If a car broke down, either satan did it or God has plans for you and wanted your car to break down so you could fix it.

Seems like people create this version of God in their minds then come up with a way to make God look good when things happen in their lives, bad or good. If they have no idea why something happened, people just shrug their shoulders and say "God must be planning something...."

yeah, there are two sides to the coin. I think its just to keep from getting so po-ed we don't hurt somebody.

I agree with ya.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:54 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Yes, there are a lot of blind followers that never really looked deeply into what they follow. Most of them simply hope to not really be dead after death. Death is great motivator, you know. Many. like my grandson, were indoctrinated by their parents. Some had Holy Spirit touch them. Some joined, because it is good business. I can think of at least two religions, that are known to be well off due to strict support of their own.
So it varies. Just like with everything else.

You should listen to only one voice - voice of your conscience. It WILL tell you, what is right. Follow no one else, as false profits and profiteers from religion are a plenty.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, there are two sides to the coin. I think its just to keep from getting so po-ed we don't hurt somebody.

I agree with ya.
I think it's fear. There are people who genuinely feel grateful and happy in their lives but they give accountability to God instead of themselves. Then there are people who are just scared, have no idea what to think, and it's just easy to assign the situation to God. Survive a tsunami? Go broke and offered a job just in the nick of time? Intense scary situations....but people have the tendency to channel their thoughts to God.

What pisses me off are the extremists. People who use God to justify their behavior. "why did you buy that private jet?" "because God whispered to me telling me to buy one to help as many people as possible"

Old 09-15-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Yes, there are a lot of blind followers that never really looked deeply into what they follow. Most of them simply hope to not really be dead after death. Death is great motivator, you know. Many. like my grandson, were indoctrinated by their parents. Some had Holy Spirit touch them. Some joined, because it is good business. I can think of at least two religions, that are known to be well off due to strict support of their own.

You should listen to only one voice - voice of your conscience. It WILL tell you, what is right. Follow no one else, as false profits and profiteers from religion are a plenty.
hahaha, the verse in the bible about false prophets.....I don't recite or memorize a lot of verses from the bible but that verse has got to be one of my favorites. Problem with bible verses is they are so easy to be misinterpreted and flipped around.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:06 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:

It’s for Him to know and for you to find out...

Old 09-15-2020, 06:08 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
How do people know what God's plans are? What makes people think everything God does is perfect? Any idea of God being bad or making mistakes is just unspeakable. If a car broke down, either satan did it or God has plans for you and wanted your car to break down so you could fix it.
Or maybe the car just broke down and neither God nor Satan had anything to do with it.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:33 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Quote:
I feel like a lot of people create a version of what they want God to be in their minds
They go further than that! Some create a version of God himself (or is it herself/itself/etc?) to suit their personal conceptualization.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:58 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Or maybe the car just broke down and neither God nor Satan had anything to do with it.
To the extent an atheist can agree with you on this subject, I agree with both of you. I see no reason why things cannot just happen. If God (ok, being an atheist, I cannot resist, ... if a god existed) is highly interventionist, what does that say about free will? If God were to intervene and find lost car keys, magic the winning lottery numbers, or give you a flat tire to make you late for some reason, wouldn't your choices be largely irrelevant?

An interventionist god simply seems contrary to Christian theology.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:16 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

The conscience thing works for some, and not at all for others. It doesn't work for basically immoral people, and it certainly doesn't work amoral people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality