Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times

Advertisements

Nag Hammadi Library

the stories about its coming into existence are even more exciting!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Where is that library? Can I go to it? Are there credible English translations of the documents there?
Effie posted a good link to it.

Another good source of various beliefs is this link: http://www.sacred-texts.com/ just select the belief system your interested in.
You'll find the Gospel of Mary, The Gospel of Thomas under the sub-link of "Gnosticism" the sub-link are located on the left side of the web page.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Another thread go me to thinking....Adam and Eve were only given the 1 rule to live by...NO TOUCHY THE TREE OF LIFE! Well, eat the fruit anyhow...So let's say Eve never ate that fruit. The world becomes populated by them and their kids so on and so forth...Since they were only given 1 rule would rapant sex, murder, theft, lying etc...still be sin? I'd have to think "NO" because the tree of life gave them knowledge...made em smart if you will. (God apparently wanted idiots) I'm thinking that without any other commandments that anything would go. Any thoughts?
So what did you want from the two of them? Given one prohibition, and they broke it! Might be necessary to look elsewhere in order to define sin.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:15 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Quote:
And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "You may freely eat of every tree of the garden; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die." 18
Quote:
So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked;
Quote:
22 Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil;
So, if I get this right: Eve ate the apple...Adam ate the apple...and they became like God, knowing good from evil. Okay, if this is the case, why is it that we've had so many religious wars? Why is it that so many religions have been responsible for so much racism. .... and just to prevent us from wandering away from the subject, which IS NOT religion causing wars and racism, let's change my question just a little.
  1. If :
    1. we are like God in knowing good from evil.
    2. and: God is all good
    3. and: knowlege of good vs evil presupposes right action.
  2. Threfore: we must be all good, or at least know what all good is, and our actions must be based on goodness.
  3. Yet: People tend to be self centered, and tend to hurt others--we witness this repeatedly.
  4. Consequently: We do not know all good.
  5. Consequently: We are not like God in knowing good from evil.
This is a major contradition. Any comments on this?

Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
So, if I get this right: Eve ate the apple...Adam ate the apple...and they became like God, knowing good from evil. Okay, if this is the case, why is it that we've had so many religious wars? Why is it that so many religions have been responsible for so much racism. .... and just to prevent us from wandering away from the subject, which IS NOT religion causing wars and racism, let's change my question just a little.
  1. If :
  2. Threfore: we must be all good, or at least know what all good is, and our actions must be based on goodness.
  3. Yet: People tend to be self centered, and tend to hurt others--we witness this repeatedly.
It takes some longer than others to catch up. Also, it is the opinion of some that all of what you purpose is irrelevant, because it simply did not happen. Then also factor in evil Satan if you will, with his ability to stir the hearts of people, their thoughts, just because we know, does not necessarily mean we will do.

It's all about choices. We were given a brain and we think. See I have always thought, people know the right thing to do, they just don't do it. And since one can justify anything, well there you go...the battle between good and evil begins with the individual and their choice. What a person chooses reflects who they are.

The choice was given in the beginning by God. Adam and Eve were given a choice; what they did with that choice, subsequently the result of the choice followed.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 04-24-2009 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: add last sentence

Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Then also factor in evil Satan if you will, with his ability to stir the hearts of people, their thoughts, just because we know, does not necessarily mean we will do.
Well, all right, as long as you're into factoring...

You could always factor in the trivial little point that there is no such being as "Satan." That word, where it appears in Scripture, is NOT a name. Look it up: Satan in Hebrew (or, excuse me, the original Aramaic) means "the accuser." It may well have been used to describe someone, whether real or imagined, but whoever it is, that being was never specifically identified.

What? No Evil One? I guess that's going to upset people who insist that there is. Sorry, guys. You'll have to hunt elsewhere.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
  1. If :
and it sounds like algebra to (poor) me.

i believe a wise god and father wanted to spare his kids running into controversial thinking on every conceivable subject - which he knew would make them sick and "mortal" instead of happy and healthy.

too simplistic? (kdbrich should give me a +1 for this)

Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, all right, as long as you're into factoring...

You could always factor in the trivial little point that there is no such being as "Satan." That word, where it appears in Scripture, is NOT a name. Look it up: Satan in Hebrew (or, excuse me, the original Aramaic) means "the accuser." It may well have been used to describe someone, whether real or imagined, but whoever it is, that being was never specifically identified.

What? No Evil One? I guess that's going to upset people who insist that there is. Sorry, guys. You'll have to hunt elsewhere.
"The devil made me do it", is definitely not in your vocabulary. No outside little devil sit 'en on your shoulder saying, oh say this, that'll get 'em. Good to know.

I was answering the question about the fruit Adam and Eve. What are you doing? Showing your intelligence?

Sweetie Christ knowns I don't care. People may as well as learn it too.

Trust would have been born if Eve had made a different choice.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 04-25-2009 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: added last sentence

Old 04-25-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
"The devil made me do it", is definitely not in your vocabulary. No outside little devil sit 'en on your shoulder saying, oh say this, that'll get 'em. Good to know.

I was answering the question about the fruit Adam and Eve. What are you doing? Showing your intelligence?

Sweetie Christ knowns I don't care. People may as well as learn it too.

Trust would have been born if Eve had made a different choice.

made or had?

Old 04-25-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
made or had?
Just a guess, but I would think it's "made." She always had two choices: to eat of that fruit, or not. We know the one she made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality