Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:24 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times

Advertisements

I have heard someone say where are our priorities in this country and that we need to be stopping a war something like that or other. My question is for the Christians to show me from scripture that war is wrong? and no it is "thou shalt not "MURDER", "not kill"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. (Mat 5:43-45)

This while God makes war on our flesh...

Old 04-22-2009, 05:50 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have heard someone say where are our priorities in this country and that we need to be stopping a war something like that or other. My question is for the Christians to show me from scripture that war is wrong? and no it is "thou shalt not "MURDER", "not kill"
Is this in reference to me?

If so let me clarify..

If your priority in this country is whether or not Miss California was "robbed" of something over whats going on in real news in the rest of the world (like we are at war in Iraq).. then you might be an idiot.

I firmly stand by that statement.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:56 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. (Mat 5:43-45)

This while God makes war on our flesh...
Yes, this sums it up. I suppose it just depends on who you are listening to. Jesus and an enlightened interpretation of the OLD LAW, or the OLD LAW itself and man's interpretation of the interpretation.....

Old 04-22-2009, 09:44 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Sure god loves war! More blood to be shed. He gets a kick out of that. So it would seem in the OT....but in the new he says to love your enemies. Which is it? Love or War?! Do you lovingly lob a warhead at your enemy?!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:53 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
to the op's question, from a pacifist angle:

not enough, obviously!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:26 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
I'm always amazed at how blindly conservative Christians can be led into supporting useless wars that kill hundreds of thousands children, women, and men, yet they still scream and cry that they're "pro-life" and that any who disagree with them and fight for peace and diplomacy are "pro-death".

Hypocrisy, in my opinion.

Last edited by Bluefly; 04-24-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 11:32 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
If you look at this God through the OT this God supports going to war and even commands it. I don't support war in the least, I agree with what the Christ said, Love your enemies. In my opinion there is nothing holy about war, no matter what your belief system condones.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Well little elmer has presented scripture while everyone else just gives their opinion. I the OP wasnt clear enough.

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back.

Rev 19:11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war.

Yes we are to love our enemies but we are not to let them walk all over us sometimes we must defend ourselves and others.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Yes we are to love our enemies but we are not to let them walk all over us sometimes we must defend ourselves and others.
Interesting you say that.

Lets use an example:

Say a country goes to war with another country on trumped up evidence. Lets further assume that there is zero evidence.. and I mean none.. that had a shred of truth to it.

so to make this really clear:

Country A accues Country B of something. That "something" is completely false and the leaders of Country A know it. Country A attacks and brings war.

Is that Good or is that Bad?

I looked in the bible but couldn't find the scripture for that. Maybe someone here can help me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality