Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 04:28 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,931,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Actually, THAT doesn't scare me at all!! Fact is, I've seen "dead" people in various stages of death (and after death) -- I also worked in a morgue. (little known fact, that is now known)

I'd rather see the dead than be confronted with an evil Born Again lying Christian!!

Thanks for the chuckle!
I see them more in my dreams.... 9/12/2001 was hell for me. EERIE.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:33 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,880,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
If you would like to believe you are superior to God by assuming you are more intelligent than He or I, that's your right but it is also why I'm trying so hard.
hehehe. Those who 'know' me, I'm not even gonna bother with this. That quote is going to wind up on a book jacket one day. Or at least it should. hehehe.

I'm not sure which to address, Wisteria's post about uneducated, southern, brain-washed believers or NorthSouth's successful validation of it. hehehe.

Wisteria, there are many educated believers. I might suggest actually looking for some (Josh McDowell, Billy Graham, Charles Stanly, Ravi Zacharias, CS Lewis, plus many 'common' educated folks, if you'd ask) and, as a side bar, I would not, in the future, date anyone you feel is uneducated. Not trying to get into your business, just hoping you realize that uneducated freak shows occur whether leaned toward religion or otherwise.

NorthSouth, best wishes!

(PS Thanks for the compliments all and for the formatting tips, OTR!)

Old 04-03-2007, 04:38 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,082,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Once I dated a man who was a Born Again Christian -- only he didn't tell me right away!! He pretended he was something he wasn't -- just to hook me in. I found the whole act totally repulsive. Eventually, he turned on me (or maybe he thought he was "saving" me), and began screaming that I was evil, that the devil was in me, and all kinds of awful things (I'm a nice person!). It totally freaked me out! I was scared he was going to come and kill me to rid me of evil.

Also, he was not well-educated -- a humble man of southern roots, and a military background. I find uneducated people much more into the Born Again Christianity -- I haven't found many highly educated people who believe that way.

My point is that shoving religion down someone's throat, threatening them with burning in Hell, saying that they are evil and you are good, is truly awful!! So, when someone comes onto a thread and starts challenging people as to why they are not like THEM, well, this is what happens.

It's none of yours or anyone else's business if someone chooses to not be the way you are -- it is YOUR business to be yourself -- not someone else. I think this hellfire and brimstone stuff is a total turn-off. It is not something I would want to be converted to. It is horribly cruel.

I believe in spirituality, kindness, goodness, generosity, and many principles that are already in the Bible. But this horrible mean-spirited threatening behavior is repulsive!! YUCK!

As an aside, and I'm not very political at all, I think that there is a conspiracy (YES, the conspiracy theory! ) to keep Southerners, in particular, in the Bible Belt, as uneducated and as illiterate as possible so the Republicans can woo them away with a few Bible verses. Well-educated, thinking, highly-intelligent people would need more than to have someone sweet-talk to them about the Bible to get their vote.

Quite honestly, the OP never got their point across -- if anything, it only got the opposite reaction. Actions speak louder than words..... Try it sometime.
In reply Jesus declared, I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. "How can a man be born when he is old? Nicodemus asked. "surely he cannot enter a second time into his mothers womb to be born again!" Jesus answered, " I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirt gives birth to spirit. You should not be suprised at my saying, " You must be born again."

Old 04-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
In reply Jesus declared, I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. "How can a man be born when he is old? Nicodemus asked. "surely he cannot enter a second time into his mothers womb to be born again!" Jesus answered, " I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirt gives birth to spirit. You should not be suprised at my saying, " You must be born again."
Ok.... does the term "Lost in Translation" mean anything to you. Second, many of the texts that the apostles wrote including jesus' writings were never included by the Vatican, with the collaberation on Constantinople's behalf. So how can one say jesus declared something when there's so many missing passages held by the mafia we call the Vatican. All the words of MMLJ were first, second, and third hand. Unless if you were there 2000 yrs. ago listening to jesus' word himself.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Ok.... does the term "Lost in Translation" mean anything to you. Second, many of the texts that the apostles wrote including jesus' writings were never included by the Vatican, with the collaberation on Constantinople's behalf. So how can one say jesus declared something when there's so many missing passages held by the mafia we call the Vatican. All the words of MMLJ were first, second, and third hand. Unless if you were there 2000 yrs. ago listening to jesus' word himself.
I put this on here for anyone who might not know "what born again means"
Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
I put this on here for anyone who might not know "what born again means"
Thanks for your reply.
Any Time! And the truth shall Prevail! DBNN, if you knew what the Council of Nicaea was all about( both First and second) you would question.

Last edited by brikag; 04-03-2007 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-03-2007, 05:09 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,437,919 times
Being a Christian to avoid hell, is I think the wrong approach and may guarantee hell.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Any Time! And the truth shall Prevail!
What do you think the truth is birkag..
Please tell this uneducated born again Christan.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,782,297 times
Quote:
DBNN : In reply Jesus declared, I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. "How can a man be born when he is old? Nicodemus asked. "surely he cannot enter a second time into his mothers womb to be born again!" Jesus answered, " I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirt gives birth to spirit. You should not be suprised at my saying, " You must be born again."
Exactly why I stay away. Boy, you guys are sure egotistical. I think Christianity as practiced by people like here who claim those of us who are not them are sinners, burning in Hell, and all that stuff are nut cases.
I still go by how a person acts, not how they try to strike fear into people's hearts -- I find it intensely creepy -- even though, you obviously seem to find it alluring. No thanks!

Quote:
Alpha8207...as a side bar, I would not, in the future, date anyone you feel is uneducated. Not trying to get into your business, just hoping you realize that uneducated freak shows occur whether leaned toward religion or otherwise.
You're absolutely right. It was an odd situation, but the lying and conniving really got to me, all to "save" me. (I thought Christians weren't supposed to lie and "trap" people into coming their way?? I'm not coming back here, though, but you can give your answers to the others if you feel so compelled to do so.) I cannot tell you how freaked out I was. You're right, though, freak shows occur in many shapes and forms -- but that was the one that creeped me out the most.

I find Christianity of this type to be extremely cruel, hateful and ugly. I am just surprised at the judgemental types and nasty people who claim to be so holy. It is very weird to me. I'm sorry I stopped by. I keep hoping Christians would turn out nice, but they're not, generally, unless you're one of them. I guess I'm going "downstairs" with the other C-D people who feel the same.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Being a Christian to avoid hell, is I think the wrong approach and may guarantee hell.
Who is a Christian to avoid hell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.