Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 PM

19,825 posts, read 13,361,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Once when I was about twenty years old I was just waking up in the morning and for a split second I had one of the strangest sensations I've ever had in my life. It felt like my consciousness was located two or three feet above my body and I was looking down at my legs.
Logically our consciousness associates itself as physically grounded or located in our body. And logically sleep and near-sleep states could suppress some of the circuitry connected with proprioception, and produce weird sensations such as these. Especially so when you consider that dreaming states often suspend normally experienced laws of physics and nature. In our dreams, we fly, observe ourselves as from a third party vantage point, suddenly change locations, are young again, and all sorts of such things.

It is interesting but in my view demonstrates nothing but that the mind is far more flexible and adaptable than we probably suppose that it is. Sometimes I wonder if our consciousness could be uploaded to a computer, if we would experience that like being in a sensory deprivation take, or would just take it in stride. It might seem weird at first but that doesn't mean it'd be something we couldn't handle. Maybe we just need some combination of mental and physical stimulation and it's less a matter of kind than of quantity.

I suspect that these questions will be answered eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:49 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
I've felt like I was somehow "outside of myself" or "outside of reality" during panic attacks before. Not sure if that counts as an OBE.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:15 PM

1,422 posts, read 948,167 times
The first time it happened to me, I felt two hands grip my wrists and pull me out of my body.

Then the hands pushed my arms across each other over my chest and then let my wrists go.

I could feel myself 'bobbing' (like the weightless feeling when in water) and the floating sensation was really nice.

As I floated upright in that position I wondered if I could move and thought to go see my toddler son who was sleeping in an adjoining room.

As I was thinking this I started moving sideways over the bed (I was facing forward) and when I moved out beyond the bed, I started to slowly sink toward the floor.

As I felt my feet touch the floor, I *snapped* out of it and woke up lying on my back in my bed.

I had no doubt that I had experienced what it was like to be dragged physically out of my body and be free from it.

Now as to whether it was my 'amazing brain' or 'my mind playing tricks on me', I gave no thought to that being a possible answer to explain what had happened.

I simply accepted that it had happened and got down to wondering why it had happened. Since then I have encountered the argument for such things being 'the brain' 'the mind' this possibility has not changed my wanting to know why it happened.

Years later I left my body of my own volition one night, floated upwards towards the ceiling, (reclined) went through the ceiling and then into the loft and then through the corrugated iron and out under the stars.

Going through things is a strange sensation of sound and feeling.

Actually the whole experience is a strange sensation - delightful and freaky all at once...

Would I do it again? Sometime I think about it, but until I can totally control my fear of the unknown, it is best not to bother because it is the fear which brings the whole experience to an end.

That - or responding to it too much like being physical...like instead of seeing if I could float to my sons room, I tried walking instead.

But also wondering what to do when such an experience happens - of what use is it to be able to do this?

Those who practice astral projection say that i am being too analytically which is getting in the way of prolonging the actual experience (going with the flow of it and see where it take me) and I would agree that it probably does but I don't seem to be able to help myself.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I've felt like I was somehow "outside of myself" or "outside of reality" during panic attacks before. Not sure if that counts as an OBE.
OT but.... sorry you have those Freak.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,521,721 times
not since early 80's.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:34 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
Yes, but I don't talk about it here.
Pretty cool, tho!

Old 07-29-2015, 05:41 PM

380 posts, read 201,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
T

Years later I left my body of my own volition one night, floated upwards towards the ceiling, (reclined) went through the ceiling and then into the loft and then through the corrugated iron and out under the stars.
Claims like this has been subjected to testing in controlled environment by double blind experiments.
Random things were put on top of the random furniture and were visible only from ceiling.

Never those claiming to fly around said a word about seeing anything there.

Maybe it would give you some food for thought as far as nature of your strange experience.
Maybe it is just your brain.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:23 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,349,101 times
Once, as a child, but not waking or going to sleep. It was at a time of emotional distress. I was suddenly looking at myself from outside of myself, and then I was seeing the whole scene from above. Scared the dickens out of me which, I guess, is what caused me to "pop" back into my body.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Once, as a child, but not waking or going to sleep. It was at a time of emotional distress. I was suddenly looking at myself from outside of myself, and then I was seeing the whole scene from above. Scared the dickens out of me which, I guess, is what caused me to "pop" back into my body.
Sounds like a possible panic attack. I'm not sure if it's known to happen in children. Anyone know?

Old 07-29-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
OT but.... sorry you have those Freak.
I appreciate the sympathy. Thankfully I don't get them often anymore. They are terrifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality