Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:43 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
• Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
It's usually not good when you make a posting this long...but discredit yourself with the very first example. If you are going to quote, quote accurately.

Isaiah 7:14 (and I'm talking about the original, not a rehashed version) reads thusly: "Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: behold, the young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

There was never any mention of a "virgin." That was a mistranslation of the original Aramaic.

But the point about this quotation that has always fascinated me--since it is so often held up as some sort of proof for Jesus as the Messiah--is this: who was this Immanuel person? It certainly wasn't Jesus, which is a Greek corruption of his name (Joshua).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
I meant to say "Christmas story" in the o.p and not "Christians story." Sorry. Can't edit it now.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:04 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Yeah, is there any evidence that they called Jesus Immanual? And why would they call him Jesus if his name was manny?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Yeah, is there any evidence that they called Jesus Immanual? And why would they call him Jesus if his name was manny?
When you write the story, you can make it fulfill anything you want it to. Matt was not above taking some serious liberties with Old Testament passages to fit Jesus into.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i agree with the Reverend here

Jesus didn't come to earth to be God or to start a religion.
Jesus came to earth to show us a path to god
to show us how to be in relationship with God.

Jesus said basically "anything I can do you can do better"
and he came as a living breathing human person so we would believe him,
so he would have credibility, "street cred."

He came as the great example, not as the great exception.

We are all God's children.
Jesus said watch me, now you do it too.

most interesting. you say, "... a path to god" and "to be in relationship with god"

the thinkers of those days were seekers of THE path, imho. not to say, it would be a mainstream, but one on which every individual would be received and welcomed into the whole of mankind.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:20 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Insane, your OP, it's nothing different from the age old concepts dating back to Arianism, Nestorianism and the gnostic texts.

IMHO, the title of your thread can read, "Jesus becomes God, per the Gnostics"

Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
btw. i like the word 'becoming'.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
From as early as 4th grade at P.S 47 in the Bronx back in the mid 70s, I developed a great passion for reading Greek and Roman myths. I think I was drawn to them because they featured similar elements to the Christan myth I grew up believing (as fact) back on the island of St. Kitts where I was raised by a religious grandmother. While some of the myths have various tellings, two of them I recall vividly and they are the myths of Dionysus (Bacchus) and Heracles (Hercules). Both were "sons of god" (Zeus), born to moral women impregnated by the divine. Both were also men of great earthly stature in one form or another and both met untimely deaths in their prime, however, both were "resurrected" and taken to Olympus (heaven), placed on the "right hand" of their father (Zeus) ans became (demi) gods in their own right to live forevermore.

The divinity of Jesus was a later Christian invention found only in one Gospel, John.

God has not any son or daughter

Christians adopted the idea of Jesus being the son of God from the Greek myths, and the idea of the salvation through the suffering of Jesus from the Indian Kreshna.

The mission of any apostle cannot be other than ordering people to devote themselves to God alone.

Moreover, the idea of the "son of God" is not logical neither is it reasonable.

How can God have any son when He has not any wife or girl-friend?

This is in the Quran 6: 101
بَدِيعُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ أَنَّى يَكُونُ لَهُ وَلَدٌ وَلَمْ تَكُن لَّهُ صَاحِبَةٌ وَخَلَقَ كُلَّ شَيْءٍ وهُوَ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ ...الخ

The explanation:
(The Originator of the heavens and the earth! How should there be any child for Him, seeing that He has no wife, and He created all things [so if He had had any child, He would have told people about that], and is All-Aware of every things?

Therefore, that [Originator of the heavens and the earth] is God your Lord; there is no god but He [alone] the Creator of everything, so worship Him [but worship not others]; for He keeps guard over all things.)

The Disagreement of the

Old 05-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Insane, your OP, it's nothing different from the age old concepts dating back to Arianism, Nestorianism and the gnostic texts.
Image if THEY were the ones that won the theology battle back in the day? Yours would be considered heretical.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
When you write the story, you can make it fulfill anything you want it to.
You mean I could start writing the Book of Fred, and tie up all these loose ends regarding prophecies? (Don't worry; I'll make sure not to refer to anyone named Immanuel. That would only cause confusion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality