Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsdfz View Post
You just answered your own question. There is no evidence whatsoever that there is no such thing as the afterlife. On the other hand, there is plenty plenty plenty of evidence there is, people just choose not to believe it, either because they don't want to, or because of people who've taken the subject and made jokes out of it, thus making everyone think it's a big lie and made up.
If you understand how the brain works, you have all the evidence you need to understand there is no sapient life after your brain has died.

Go to any doctor and ask, "can you think without a brain?" The answer is no. When the brain dies, so to does our rational thought and all of our memories.

There is no soul. That is a notion developed well before we knew that the mind and the brain were one in the same. But know we know that all thoughts are accounted for within the brain, we also understand that there is no soul capable of thinking without said brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,343 times
Why not take that gob of evidence and roll it out on Oprah? Don't mess around here on this silly forum when you can grab the limelight and become an overnight success.
Why mess with a handful of atheists when you can have an audience of millions?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
Quote:
You just answered your own question. There is no evidence whatsoever that there is no such thing as the afterlife.
Which tells me that you would never accept any kind of evidence or logical argument that does not support your views. Look, everyone fears death. Our bodies are hardwired with a series of self preservation mechanisms so strongly embedded into our subconscious that it takes extreme circumstances to willingly ignore them. If there really was an afterlife we wouldn't hold on to life so dearly and to be frank; I think it's better to face the truth or at least find a real reason to believe instead of letting fear get the better of your judgement.

Quote:
On the other hand, there is plenty plenty plenty of evidence there is, people just choose not to believe it, either because they don't want to, or because of people who've taken the subject and made jokes out of it, thus making everyone think it's a big lie and made up.
We are not mindless drones slashsdfz. We've given you our reasons as to why we don't believe and you've decided to ignore them in favour of your notion that atheists just don't like to believe that when they die Buddha is waiting in heaven with a 6 pack of beer and enough food to fill the earth*.

Please, please stop trying to guess what we think. Unless you think we are all liars why don't you just listen to our arguments? Why is it that every month we get someone claiming some grand conspiracy?

*not everyone shares the same idea of the afterlife

Old 05-04-2009, 12:47 PM

133 posts, read 276,174 times
People believe there's Heaven and Hell but in reality there are different planes you go to. I've concluded this by research I've done from reading and hearing stories from mediums (real mediums, not "fake" ones). Some get stuck here and that's why if you've ever heard a EVP many are angry, extremely mad, hateful, depressed, sad, and confused. I don't know who gets stuck in that level - if it's people that don't believe in the afterlife, people who've taken there own lives, murders, or what. I do not know. It's not my job to know at this time. RIght now, I don't want to know.

If you watch the video above, the man communicates with the spirit that says Jesus is on the 9th level which I would assume is Heaven. If you continue, the spirit says his friend is on the 2nd, which is close to hell I am assuming.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:55 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
I've concluded this by research I've done from reading and hearing stories from mediums (real mediums, not "fake" ones).

Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
People believe there's Heaven and Hell but in reality there are different planes you go to. I've concluded this by research I've done from reading and hearing stories from mediums (real mediums, not "fake" ones).
Oh, real research by "real mediums" not "fake ones." Now that you put it that way, you have my utmost attention. I thought you were talking about "fake mediums." How silly of me.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:24 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
Quote:
My evidence is because I believe in EVP's, OOB's, astral travel, afterlife planes, communication with the dead, personal guardians, the holy spirit, NDE's, prayer, etc. I believe those are all real as I've seen enough evidence from reading personal accounts and viewing them as well. Since some scientists say that NDE's are not real, you will believe it because they are a scientist. What would it take to make you believe in the afterlife? I mean, you will find out when you die of course, but while your on this *earth* plane, what would it take? Everyone to agree? That will never happen, because there is no such thing as EVERYONE agreeing on the same thing.
I would believe in the afterlife if someone empirically proved there is one. The problem with believing there is an afterlife is that there is no evidence which can empirically verify that there is one.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:40 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,343 times
"I'm getting an image now, you are hunkered over a computer, typing away frantically on a public forum, that will be $40.00"

Old 05-04-2009, 02:12 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
....and this is the point I bow out of the discussion.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:17 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Default The Atheist Afterlife

Quote:
The Atheist Afterlife : Introduction (http://www.modernphilosophy.com/books/aa_intro.html - broken link)

The Atheist Afterlife describes an afterlife that is consistent with known law and requires nothing more than physics. It demonstrates that an afterlife is possible based on reason, and supports the probability of an afterlife with an original and testable support for dualism – the proposition that our mind and body are separate.

An afterlife based on reason has profound implications. An afterlife that requires only physics requires no God; it makes the concept of God irrelevant and removes the ‘God of the Gaps’ completely. It enables us to prove that many religious conceptions of an afterlife are false, including the concepts of judgement, selectivity based on belief, and the existence of Heaven and Hell. It removes the concept of an afterlife from its religious associations so humanists and other rationalists can examine it on its own merit. And an original and testable support for dualism could resolve a philosophical debate that’s been going on for more than 2,000 years!

Entertaining and well-reasoned, The Atheist Afterlife is a significant contribution to philosophy and free thought.
I don't know. I just found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality