Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Wow Zuggie, would you like me to show you some of the violent brainwashed examples of Buddhists I shared with the Funkster. He's was up there on the self-righteous scale as well when it came to his religion. They are as identical to christendom when it comes to faults, hate and brainwashing. Take my sister-in-law who is from Thailand. She is constantly badgered by her monks back in Thailand calling on the phone begging her to fork over more $$$dough$$$ for the cause. Seems to me all these religions have their stinky sides. Come on Zuggie, even the Queen of England goes to the Loo!!!
Criticize it all you like; just remember that there is more than one type of Buddhism and that you're painting all Buddhists with the same brush. Also keep in mind that there are cultural problems that cause a lot of issues that are unrelated to the philosophy one holds.

Remember it especially when the maniacs from the Westboro Baptist Church start doing crazy things again, non-xtians start pointing fingers at all xtians, and you start blabbing that it has nothing to do with you because you're not "that kind" of xtian.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:55 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
But, the question is; Is homosexuality condoned or acceptable within Buddhist precepts?
Oh it's heavily involved with Buddhism. But I believe there are many religious organizations today that are. But here are some links:
Buddhist Resources LinksPitaka Gay Studies

Diamond Metta: Gay & Lesbian Buddhist Society

Gay Men's Buddhist Sangha

Here's an interesting "Gay/Lesbian" defense website which is against anything anti-gay, including what they consider Eastern Religious Gurus who they consider dangerous frauds.
FlameOut.org - homepage and FlameOut.org - Eastern & Western sex abusing gurus

Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Criticize it all you like; just remember that there is more than one type of Buddhism and that you're painting all Buddhists with the same brush. Also keep in mind that there are cultural problems that cause a lot of issues that are unrelated to the philosophy one holds.
Well then it goes both ways does'nt it. Then you should'nt make blanket derogatory statements about all Chrisitians. Because as my posting history shows, I don't agree with the majority either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuggie
Remember it especially when the maniacs from the Westboro Baptist Church start doing crazy things again, non-xtians start pointing fingers at all xtians, and you start blabbing that it has nothing to do with you because you're not "that kind" of xtian.
I don't care about or agree with the insane tactics of Westboro Church. Everytime you point the finger Zuggie, you've got three pointing right back atcha!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
It is easier to have other people do all your thinking for you rather than actually thinking for onesself so that someone forms their own thoughts and opinions. Since they think that their religion condemns homosexuality, then they also will condemn homosexuality.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:45 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It is easier to have other people do all your thinking for you rather than actually thinking for onesself so that someone forms their own thoughts and opinions. Since they think that their religion condemns homosexuality, then they also will condemn homosexuality.
Your statement comes across as if anyone who detests sexual immorality is unable to think for themselves therefore they are simply following the opinion of man. The irony; your implication is not supported by sound reasoning on your part, which is exactly what you accuse your opponents of.

God’s condemnation of sexual immorality is actually one of the easiest issues to confirm in the Scriptures.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:03 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Your statement comes across as if anyone who detests sexual immorality is unable to think for themselves therefore they are simply following the opinion of man. The irony; your implication is not supported by sound reasoning on your part, which is exactly what you accuse your opponents of.

God’s condemnation of sexual immorality is actually one of the easiest issues to confirm in the Scriptures.
Thankyou for proving I'm right. Just because the bible says so, that doesn't make it so. You're basing your beliefs and opinions on what the bible condemns and what it condones. Someone who thinks for themselves and forms their own beliefs and opinions doesn't form their beliefs and opinions based on what someone else tells them their beliefs and opinions should be. People who form their own opinions and beliefs don't base them on what an authority figure(ie god, the bible etc.) tells them what their opinions and beliefs should be, they examine all the evidence then use reason to come to their own conclusion whether something is right or wrong, true or untrue. Forming beliefs based on what someone else(including a deity) tells you isn't forming your own opinions, it's just believing whatever someone else tells you to believe.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:09 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
Quote:
Someone who thinks for themselves and forms their own beliefs and opinions doesn't form their beliefs and opinions based on what someone else tells them their beliefs and opinions should be. People who form their own opinions and beliefs don't base them on what an authority figure(ie god, the bible etc.) tells them what their opinions and beliefs should be, they examine all the evidence then use reason to come to their own conclusion whether something is right or wrong, true or untrue. Forming beliefs based on what someone else(including a deity) tells you isn't forming your own opinions, it's just believing whatever someone else tells you to believe.
This type of thinking is that of the humanist which believes that man himself is above all things and can do all things without the help of anyone else, including a "deity". However, I have yet to find one person who can create something out of nothing....but God did and can. Therefore, I would rather put my trust in God and His Word rather than what someone out there who has the probability of being wrong 99% of the time tries to tell me.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:

Homosexuality is not and has nothing to do with immorality except in minds like yours.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
This type of thinking is that of the humanist which believes that man himself is above all things and can do all things without the help of anyone else, including a "deity". However, I have yet to find one person who can create something out of nothing....but God did and can. Therefore, I would rather put my trust in God and His Word rather than what someone out there who has the probability of being wrong 99% of the time tries to tell me.
This is not a "type" of thinking. It is actual thinking. Those that simply parrot what mythology tells them to, have limited their power of reasoning. If logic and reason makes me a humanist in your eyes, then I'm proud to be one.

You say you'd rather put your trust in God than be wrong 99% of the time...Surely you exaggerate the %, but I believe that your trust is misplaced, and that makes you 100% wrong on many issues.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:49 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,949 times
To me, the God I believe in does not condemn a person whether straight or gay. I believe we are supposed to love each other and not be condemning people right and left. But then again I have been told many times by fellow Christians that I can't be a true Christian...so there you go.

Its hard for me to fathom that a loving God would punish us for love. That makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality