Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 04:07 PM

455 posts, read 1,016,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
rick rick rick..

don't you know that the government labeling it a diploma mill is just part of the conspiracy to keep Carl Baugh down?

but.. you can't stop man tracks.. you can only hope to contain man tracks.
Let me tell you something bigthirsty,

NO government can keep Carl Baugh down.
Carl Baugh will not be stopped.
Carl Baugh doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
Carl Baugh can slam revolving doors.
When Carl Baugh falls in water, Carl Baugh doesn't get wet. Water gets Carl Baugh.

Need I go on?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,822,558 times
The credentials do not matter, his doctorite is still legitimate in theology. But that aside he has still made some great discoveries like the human footprint found in a dinasaur footprint. The cowboy boot with the label still attached that is partially fossilized. Look at the findings not the man.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I've never seen a university put samples of their diplomas online. "Look honey! It looks so real!"

Robin69 - still no answer to the following:

How do you refute the fact that no scientific journal has accepted the "evidence" of intelligent design / creationism?

I am actually fully in favor of exploring all avenues of intellectual pursuit, and if someday evidence emerges I would hope the scientific community would be open enough to recognize it. But, to date, none of the research has passed scientific muster.

What have you to say of that fact?
See the film "Expelled".

Old 05-05-2009, 04:11 PM

455 posts, read 1,016,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I want to say first that I have not read all the posts, so if this has already been said, I apologize.

I was a substitute teacher for years. One day while teaching, the subject was evolution.

I think if evolution is going to be taught, then so should creationism. Otherwise neither should not be taught.
Yes, but creationism and evolution are not equal. If creationism should be taught, so should every other religions idea of creation. So should the idea that a giant hamster created everything.

The only place that creationism should be taught is in a Religion class, along with other religious creation myths.

In the marketplace of ideas, NOT all ideas are equal.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Like I said there is no discussion with those who are not willing to look at the evidence. I told you before I offered anything that you would not accept it and I was right. You discount discoveries because the man does not have the credentials you would like. So I guess the Dead Sea scrolls are clear fabrications considering an uneducated shepherd found them.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:18 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,681,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
See the film "Expelled".
I've seen that film. I fully support the intention of that film.

It does not change the fact that no creationist claim has ever passed the muster of scientific review.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,681,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I want to say first that I have not read all the posts, so if this has already been said, I apologize.

I was a substitute teacher for years. One day while teaching, the subject was evolution.

I think if evolution is going to be taught, then so should creationism. Otherwise neither should not be taught.
Problem is that one (evolution) is based on scientific methodology and the other (creationism) is based on one religious sect's beliefs.

Do you support teaching all the creation myths of Native Americans, Buddhists, Hindus, etc....? You can't simply choose one religion and claim they have it right, when clearly there is no evidence to support that assertion.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,054,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Like I said there is no discussion with those who are not willing to look at the evidence. I told you before I offered anything that you would not accept it and I was right. You discount discoveries because the man does not have the credentials you would like. So I guess the Dead Sea scrolls are clear fabrications considering an uneducated shepherd found them.
No he and the evidence is discounted (actually bankrupt) because the evidence is bankrupt.

Of course nobody accepts it.. its not accepted because its wrong.

Carl Baugh could say 2+2=5 and you'd say we are discounting him.. the fact is.. he is wrong.. so yes.. we are discounting him. He academically bankrupt.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:24 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,557,269 times
Quote:
Problem is that one (evolution) is based on scientific methodology and the other (creationism) is based on one religious sect's beliefs.

Do you support teaching all the creation myths of Native Americans, Buddhists, Hindus, etc....? You can't simply choose one religion and claim they have it right, when clearly there is no evidence to support that assertion.
Exactly my point.

People like Robin want to push their Christian beliefs (Oh, Christianity is the only right one mentality) and expect everyone else to just stand by and accept. No way. If you want to teach Creationism in PUBLIC schools, then you teach about all of them. No religion is better than the other REGARDLESS of what YOU might think.

Teach one, teach all.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,676,511 times
Quote:
How do you refute the fact that no scientific journal has accepted the "evidence" of intelligent design / creationism?

I am actually fully in favor of exploring all avenues of intellectual pursuit, and if someday evidence emerges I would hope the scientific community would be open enough to recognize it. But, to date, none of the research has passed scientific muster.

What have you to say of that fact?

Creationism/ID is just a invention by some christians to make the religion sound more impressive, give it more valdity or "counter" science - and it does not. To me, this is the wrong approach. I am in the engineering/scientific field and many of my christian friends (I am an athesit) have a lot of experience in science and have PhDs etc. Almost none of them believe in ID but they do have faith - these are not mutually exclusive schools of thought. They look to faith for answers to the "why" of life and similar philosophical questions, and to science to understand the "how" of things. Evolution and christianity (or other religions) can co-exist.

Also, to the few who are completely against science, remember that the evolution has been developed by scientists of all religions, checking each other's work in peer-reviewed journals, etc - they have no desire to promote /demote any religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.