Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:12 PM

4,903 posts, read 6,000,341 times

Advertisements

When discussing the origins of the universe, theists will often claim that something cannot come from nothing, therefore god created the universe. My question is, can someone empirically explain how god could make the universe out of nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 05:50 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,286,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
When discussing the origins of the universe, theists will often claim that something cannot come from nothing, therefore god created the universe. My question is, can someone empirically explain how god could make the universe out of nothing.
By speaking it into existance.

Can you then explain to me how the universe came to be out of nothing?

Can you explain to me how the clouds were created?

Can you explain to me how the world rotates the perfect distance from the sun without us burning up?

Can you explain to me how the air was perfect for us to breath and the trees that produce the air for us?

Can you explain why we have seasons?

Can you explain why the seasons have different temperatures?

Can you explain why we have an ozone layer that protects us from the sun?

Can you explain why salt water fish were created only for salt water and unable to live in other waters?

Can you explain the different climates and weather and what about the different layers of earth that we have?

Can you explain why our lungs were made for the air that comes from trees and what about our atmosphere. Where did the atmosphere come from?

I'm not looking for an arguement just honest questions. I'm sure we can both debate without all the negative things that come.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,159,137 times
same way AIG turned an empty bag into a pile of money, magic.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:45 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,019,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
By speaking it into existance.
How scientific.

Quote:
Can you then explain to me how the universe came to be out of nothing?
No, can you? Oh ya, magic words is your explanation.

Quote:
Can you explain to me how the clouds were created?
Water evaporated.

Quote:
Can you explain to me how the world rotates the perfect distance from the sun without us burning up?
Gravity.

Quote:
Can you explain to me how the air was perfect for us to breath and the trees that produce the air for us?
We evolved to fit the environment.

Quote:
Can you explain why we have seasons?
The earth's orbit.

Quote:
Can you explain why the seasons have different temperatures?
The earth's orbit.

Quote:
Can you explain why we have an ozone layer that protects us from the sun?
Gravity.

Quote:
Can you explain why salt water fish were created only for salt water and unable to live in other waters?
They evolved that way.

Quote:
Can you explain the different climates and weather and what about the different layers of earth that we have?
Ask a climatologist and a geologist.

Quote:
Can you explain why our lungs were made for the air that comes from trees and what about our atmosphere. Where did the atmosphere come from?
We evolved that way.

Quote:
I'm not looking for an arguement just honest questions. I'm sure we can both debate without all the negative things that come.
Notice I never said "Goddidit" or claimed it was done with magic words, and never claimed to know things we can't know.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:01 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,134,583 times
Quote:
How are we supposed to explain it when we don't understand it ourselves?

Can you explain how a big bang created everything out of nothing?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:16 PM

4,903 posts, read 6,000,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post

Atheists/agnostics aren't the ones claiming to know how the universe began. Theists often postulate that god created the universe, but they can't empirically explain how god made something out of nothing.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:32 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,134,583 times
Quote:
Atheists/agnostics aren't the ones claiming to know how the universe began. Theists often postulate that god created the universe, but they can't empirically explain how god made something out of nothing.
Well hell, my friend, it seems like scientists are pretty good at expounding upon the origins of the universe, too. But maybe you could answer my question for me anyway (the second one)...?? Or offer your own theory, and let's have a look at it.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 PM

So, I take it you are not going to answer my question agnostic soldier?

If the Big Band is true, then how did it evolve out of nothing? Most start with matter evolving into something. But where did the matter come from?

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 05-05-2009 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: matter

Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 PM

Out of all of this Logic this still does not answer the questions?

Quote:
Water evaporated.
This does not answer the question, where did the water come from?

Quote:
Gravity.
How was gravity created, where did it come from? WHat did it evolve from?

Quote:
They evolved that way.
If they evolved, what did they evolve from?

Quote:
We evolved to fit the environment.
And how exactly did we evolve that way? WHat were we before we evolved into humans that breath air?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,019,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post

We don't even claim to know that the universe ever did come from nothing. The big bang theory doesn't say the universe came from nothing. It says the universe is expanding from one spot, where it seems all matter/energy was massively compressed. It doesn't say all matter didn't exist until the big bang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality