U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:18 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,356,184 times

Advertisements

The few I have run into seem to be like a Jehovahs Witness, strange people?
To me, it is cultlike sorta. Religious extremists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 02:27 PM

19,022 posts, read 22,912,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Why should you bake a question, then place pejorative toppings?

I bet there are plenty of born-agains posting here. I know one (my best friend actually )

Do you want a genuine answer from them?

Old 05-06-2009, 05:30 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,356,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Why should you bake a question, then place pejorative toppings?

I bet there are plenty of born-agains posting here. I know one (my best friend actually )

Do you want a genuine answer from them?
Those are my assumptions for the few I have shortly encountered. Are they true? What is the real deal?

Old 05-06-2009, 05:39 PM

783 posts, read 1,096,662 times
Barna Group defines Born Again Christians as follows:
Quote:
“Born again Christians" are defined as people who said they have made a personal commitment to Jesus Christ that is still important in their life today and who also indicated they believe that when they die they will go to Heaven because they had confessed their sins and had accepted Jesus Christ as their savior.
“Born Again” should not be confused with “Evangelical” or assumed to be “Born Again Evangelical”

Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,710,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Barna Group defines Born Again Christians as follows:

“Born Again” should not be confused with “Evangelical” or assumed to be “Born Again Evangelical”
They all sing from the same song sheet.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:24 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,073,769 times
Most "born-agains" are disgruntled ex-Catholics who think they found the truth.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 2,920,080 times
Quote:

Well I have had some tell me I'm not a 'real Christian' until I've been baptized in their church. Apparently, my baptism at the age of 12 in a Methodist church means I'm only a 'pretend Christian'??? And I will never forgive my sister's pastor for the agony and spiritual doubt she suffered over his remark that he doubted that our Mom was in heaven because she had never been baptized in his church!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 5,874,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Well I have had some tell me I'm not a 'real Christian' until I've been baptized in their church. Apparently, my baptism at the age of 12 in a Methodist church means I'm only a 'pretend Christian'??? And I will never forgive my sister's pastor for the agony and spiritual doubt she suffered over his remark that he doubted that our Mom was in heaven because she had never been baptized in his church!
Yeah, I had similar remarks thrown at me by "Christians" after my adult son died. I knew it was bunk, but it was things like that which cemented my lack of "belief". It still caused a lot of anger & hurt to me and my daughter-in-law that people would say such things about my child and his "afterlife", simply because he was not a religious guy.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM

12,172 posts, read 14,067,583 times
Born Agains are people who claim to believe and follow every word in The Bible. Of course when asked if they follow specific laws, they'll say, "Oh no, that's Old Testament." Well isn't OT also part of The Bible? Born Again people will preach the Bible to you, but only follow parts they think is important. This sect also enjoy putting religion in places where you'd least expect to see it. For example they will start a bike riding fellowship and name it B.A.S.H for Biking and Serving Him. How you can interlock your fingers in prayer and steer a bike at the same time is beyond me. Personally I think is type of stuff borders on making a mockery out of your relationship with your god, but they all seem to eat it up.
They also enjoy putting their religion on their business cards and those silly fish symbols on the back of their cars. It's a profitable religion if you're into any form marketing. Believers will buy almost anything that shows off their faith. Slap a fish on it and they will buy it. I've even seen socks and panties saying, "Jesus saves." This religion has a lot of bark but no bite.

Born Agains want you to believe they were awful people before they were born again. I'm sure they were a lot more interesting when they spoke their own thoughts instead if scripted scripture. Well I'm off to throw my "Christ on a cracker" up on Ebay! God bless the lucky winner.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:55 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,694,499 times
Quote:
The term for "Born-again-Christian" is a distiction that was made from other Christians. It comes from John Chapter three were Nicodemus comes to Jesus to asks questions. It reads: 1: There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: 2: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. 3: Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Jesus goes on to explain. It does not mean being born of your mother a seccond time, but rather to a spiritual birth.

I consider myself a born-again-christian. I also see myself as an "Evangelical-Christian", which believes one needs to be 'born-again', believes in biblical authority, in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and which emphasises the nature of the christian to proclaim his or her faith. I tell anyone who will listen of the hope that I have in Christ Jesus. I also consider myself a "Charasmatic-Christian". This is of the Pentecostal Charismatic Christians who believe that the operations of the Holy Spirit from the day of pentecost are still alive and active today. That is, speaking in tongues, healings, etc.. I also believe myself to be a "fundamentalist-Christian". This is a Christian who believes in the inerrancy of scripture, in the virgin birth, substitutionary attonement and the resurrection of Christ. All these are just tittles. I believe that I am a Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ, and as such a Son of God. Ultimately if you want to know what I believe, just read the bible. I believe it all.

I accepted Jesus into my heart when I was 4 years old. My father told me about Jesus and I prayed that he would come into my heart. When I was 8 years old I was walking home from school and the thought occured to me that my father told me to pray with him. I quickly prayed to God as I walked; "Jesus, I accepted you in my heart when I was four when my father told me too, but I want you to know that I want you in my heart because I say so.

As a Christian I believe that I have been able to learn about God intimately. I have learned how to love those who do not love me or treat me nice (those who have treated me badly). I have learned how to die to my own selfish motivations and desires in order that others needs are met. I have been able to learn many of the deep things of God. He has shown me things that no one else could show me. He has let me see things that the eye cannot see. I understand deep mysteries of the world around us and the spirit world of God. I am excited for the future, for what it holds and what I will learn. God has been good to me and has blessed me. I have faced hard times, but he has enabled me to overcome all of my problems. He has protected me and my family. I will never give him up, because there is no one else who has the word of life except for God.

Jehovah's witness are not Christian. They will make you think that they use the bible, but they don't. This is just a guise to make you think they are ligitimate. When they get you into their clutches they toss the bible and substitute another book. Beware of this. The bible warns of those who come teaching another Jesus. And that is what they are doing, teaching another Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality