U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:43 PM

159 posts, read 463,473 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOVPaYf780

Athiests seem to be more rational than christians.

Give me your thoughts and comments!

Last edited by hurley89; 05-06-2009 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: wrong link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:59 PM

4,070 posts, read 4,965,643 times
In my opinion, atheist life is better. You base your beliefs on facts and evidence rather than faith and dogma. You don't concern yourself with myths and superstition since it distracts from reality. Someone is able to form morals and decisions on reason rather than what some deity says is moral or immoral. When something bad happens it isn't because of some master plan, it's because sh** happens. Someone's hope and comfort are placed in real people rather than waiting to get to some undetectable afterlife. Someone is more likely to work for salvation in the natural world rather than salvation from burning in torment after one dies. Someone gives their time and energy to real things rather than god and religion. Things like love and beauty are given admiration without giving credence to a supernatural entity. Someone is freer to pursue philosophy and scientific inquiry without being barred from accepting truths that contradict what a religion says is true.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM

4,085 posts, read 7,448,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
YouTube - Atheist Life vs Religious Life

Athiests seem to be more rational than christians.

Give me your thoughts and comments!
Wow, that's just about the most stupid and shallow atheist propaganda video I've seen, to date.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 PM

783 posts, read 1,159,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Wow, that's just about the most stupid and shallow atheist propaganda video I've seen, to date.
I would agree, shallow indeed.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:15 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,198,868 times
I'm an atheist but only made it one minute through the vid. Sorry, OP!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 PM

14,809 posts, read 18,811,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
In my opinion, atheist life is better. You base your beliefs on facts and evidence rather than faith and dogma. You don't concern yourself with myths and superstition since it distracts from reality. Someone is able to form morals and decisions on reason rather than what some deity says is moral or immoral. When something bad happens it isn't because of some master plan, it's because sh** happens.
I'm a "scientist" and a christian ...
and I can tell you that you seem as fanatic as anybody on the christian right.

Atheism has valid points because is based on science...
Sorry to bust your bubble, but any true scientist knows that everything in science is just relative.
We don't know anything about the World. All that we know is the relation between things. When you learn a lot about science, you realize that all that scientist did was connect the dots (linear relations, differential equations, etc)

But science doesn't explain MANY things
doesn't explain creation, birth, death, relation between the brain and thoughts, how big is the universe, is there an end to the universe, etc, etc, etc.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM

4,070 posts, read 4,965,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm a "scientist" and a christian ...
and I can tell you that you seem as fanatic as anybody on the christian right.

Atheism has valid points because is based on science...
Sorry to bust your bubble, but any true scientist knows that everything in science is just relative.
We don't know anything about the World. All that we know is the relation between things. When you learn a lot about science, you realize that all that scientist did was connect the dots (linear relations, differential equations, etc)

But science doesn't explain MANY things
doesn't explain creation, birth, death, relation between the brain and thoughts, how big is the universe, is there an end to the universe, etc, etc, etc.
I said it was my opinion. Fanatics believe their way is the 'one true way.' There's a difference between an opinion and a fact. I didn't say it was rational or factual, so no, it is not fanatic. You conveniently ignored that I didn't say it was true. Just because it disagrees with your opinion, that doesn't make it fanatic. I don't go around saying that it is true, most believers are the exact opposite though.
It seems that you are ignorant of science so I would suggest you research more about it and what it actually does. Here are some websites to help you get started:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentor...c_method.shtml

http://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/howscienceworks_01

http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/railsback_1122science1.html

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 05-06-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM

But why live your life for something that could possibly not even exist?

Idk. I just live my life for me. I take life day by day, and if something goes horribly wrong, then something goes horribly wrong. S*** happens. If i don't get something i think i deserve or want, i dont think its because of "god", but because i didnt try hard enough.

It just seems stressful to let some book dictate your life. I'm not a bad person. I know instictively that murdering someone, or stealing someones prized posessions is wrong, but i dont need a book to tell me that. Religion, especially christianity has so many loopholes and many people take it the wrong way like the really "on fire" for jesus types. From my understanding a lot of the world's problems can easily be traced back to religion.

Whatever though. im happy without religion and thats all that really matters in life. I accept what i'll never know, treat people with respect, and go on doing my own thing. no need for a 782394738 year old book that people with no last names wrote.

ps-if god answers prayers, why wont he heal amputees?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
mind you, religious propaganda is around me ALL the time, not just in youtube videos. your "blessed"

Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 PM

81 posts, read 127,271 times
I think both views have their pros and cons. The atheist (being broad here) can live his life for each day, because he believes his time on earth is all he has. For me, that means learning all I can about the world around me. The religious person, however, also has an escape from life (again, being fairly broad) and can pray their worries off to their god(s). It can be hard to be atheist sometimes, at least for me, because sometimes I really want to believe, just so I can have a bit of piece of mind when I'm going through a rough strut. But if things work out, I would be more sensible than to attribute it to god. I'm going through a pretty weird scare right now (not going into detail on it) and have been tempted to pray, but then I questioned myself even further and now, instead of being simply agnostic, I am a complete atheist. I think the religious life is actually much easier than the atheist life, but it depends on what religion you're talking about and how committed you are to said religion. In retrospect, I believe atheism is the more logical choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or