Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I don't believe that but that would sure be a sad day.
Enlightened people don't generally speak of "forcing" anyone to do this, that, or the other thing.

Embittered bigots, be they right wing, or left wing...it's their stock in trade.

Don't be fooled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 03:30 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
no, i do not think they should, unless their political view or their religious views warrant that. If they are muslim and their religion requires it, sure, if they believe and follow that view point.

I am sure there are other non religious or political groups that do not believe that so they should not practice it

Old 04-09-2007, 03:44 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,234 times
If you truly honor, love, and respect someone, you would never ask them to "obey" you. Women/wives are not slaves, nor pets--we are equal partners.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:46 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
If you truly honor, love, and respect someone, you would never ask them to "obey" you. Women/wives are not slaves, nor pets--we are equal partners.
I have to admit, it would be kind of nice to have a really hot wife that I could shout "FETCH" at, lol.

Not forever, but one weekend would be a lot of fun, lol.

~T

Old 04-09-2007, 03:46 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I agree that what you're talking about is a cancer on our nation. But, what you're describing is not real feminism. It's some whacked out man hating academic freaks notion of "feminism." It's got about as much to do with the cause of equal rights for women as the KKK has to do with Christian values.

Those people are given grants and tenure and a soapbox to spew their bigoted nonsense because the ruling elite in this country wants them there. It's a straight up divide and conquer strategy.
You bring up a good point, and I get really sick of hearing people demonize the idea of feminism... the feminist movement was absolutely essential for our society, bringing us the right to vote, hold office, attend prestigious colleges, be the "boss", and so on. Some people think only of "femi-nazis", which really isn't what the movement was/is about. I've never called myself a feminist, but I obviously stand behind everything the original movement accomplished... and considering we still get lower pay for the same jobs (in certain fields), I think there's more progress to be had. So unless someone's a caveman who thinks a woman's place is in the kitchen, there's no reason to knock down the feminist movement in such a harsh manner.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:50 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You bring up a good point, and I get really sick of hearing people demonize the idea of feminism... the feminist movement was absolutely essential for our society, bringing us the right to vote, hold office, attend prestigious colleges, be the "boss", and so on. Some people think only of "femi-nazis", which really isn't what the movement was/is about. I've never called myself a feminist, but I obviously stand behind everything the original movement accomplished... and considering we still get lower pay for the same jobs, I think there's more progress to be had. So unless someone's a caveman who thinks a woman's place is in the kitchen, there's no reason to knock down the feminist movement in such a harsh manner.
The extremist lunatics are always the ones who get the press though.

Equal rights for women is a good thing, and a just thing.

What some of these man haters come out and say, lol, it's absurd.

My favorites are the ones who think they should have equal pay for equal work. Equal rights in the marriage. Equal say in all decisions. Sharing of the household duties, etc, lol.

....then they want the doors held open, chairs pulled out, and to be a stay-at-home mom with only the house and the kids to look after. This is of course while you're doing half of THAT work for them too.

I say you can't be first on the lifeboat if you want to be treated like everyone else waiting to be saved. Thats just my opinion though.

~T

Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
This is true and this is not what is meant by putting obey in the marriage vows.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
The extremist lunatics are always the ones who get the press though.

Equal rights for women is a good thing, and a just thing.

What some of these man haters come out and say, lol, it's absurd.

My favorites are the ones who think they should have equal pay for equal work. Equal rights in the marriage. Equal say in all decisions. Sharing of the household duties, etc, lol.

....then they want the doors held open, chairs pulled out, and to be a stay-at-home mom with only the house and the kids to look after. This is of course while you're doing half of THAT work for them too.

I say you can't be first on the lifeboat if you want to be treated like everyone else waiting to be saved. Thats just my opinion though.

~T
Well, "equal" doesn't mean "same"... we'll never be the same as men, unless they start having monthly cycles & giving birth! So I guess I'm one of those, who expects equal pay and opportunities, but would still like to be treated as a lady. I fully admit that men are physically stronger (overall) and different from women, so it's only fair they should carry the heavy boxes! But that's why I don't call myself a feminist, even though I believe in equal rights for women. Does that make any sense??

Old 04-09-2007, 03:57 PM

Oh, but I do work for a living, and no man (other than my daddy) has ever supported me... if/when I get married, we'll see what happens, but I wouldn't expect him to "bring home the bacon" unless it was logical & financially smart. I just appreciate a bit of chivalry, like holding the door open when I'm walking with a man; and that seems to be dying these days, unfortunately.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:01 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Some people think only of "femi-nazis", which really isn't what the movement was/is about. I've never called myself a feminist, but I obviously stand behind everything the original movement accomplished... and considering we still get lower pay for the same jobs (in certain fields), I think there's more progress to be had. So unless someone's a caveman who thinks a woman's place is in the kitchen, there's no reason to knock down the feminist movement in such a harsh manner.
That's a Limbaugh-ism. Anyone who takes that waterhead seriously is even more credulous than the members of the academic sheep herd I originally alluded to.

Equal pay for equal work. That would take money out of the pockets of the power elite. They preferred to spend a much smaller sum on financing people who preach a bunch of gender separatism, backed up by warped statistics.

There are those who love to see men and women at each other's throats, who stoke the fires of resentment. They have their version of "equal pay for equal work"...that's me n you, earning an equal minimum wage at Wal-Mart.

F--- that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality