U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:03 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,793,012 times

Advertisements

I think the answer to this question is very clear. Atheists tend to get along with one another because they're generally like minded about a great many issues even though they may have considerably different points of view about alot of things. Religious people on the other hand, even when they're all Christians, tend to do alot of bickering and squabbling about who's right and who's wrong. I don't read the Christianity forum but I've been told people can get pretty worked up. Of course it gets much worse when you start looking at the interactions between people of different faiths. The fundamentalists are always criticizing the Catholics, Mormons and others for what they believe and you can sense some real hostility there. Now when we take a worldwide view of various religions it really gets ugly. In the worst case scenarios such as the different sects of Muslims they don't just argue, they kill each other. Iraq is a perfect example but the same thing could be said when Yugoslavia broke up after the fall of communism.
Have you noticed that even on this forum the atheists and agnostics seem to get along with each other much better than those who are religious? At least that's my perception but what do you think about the matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,853,767 times
Do Atheists Tend To Get Along Better With Each Other Than Religious People Getting Along With Each Other?

Yes

Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,256,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Have you noticed that even on this forum the atheists and agnostics seem to get along with each other much better than those who are religious? At least that's my perception but what do you think about the matter?
Yep. It goes something like this:

Atheist 1: I don't believe a god exists.
Atheist 2: Hey, me neither! Want to ride bikes?

And on the flip side:

Christian 1: I'm a True Christian(TM) because I believe X & Y
Christian 2: That's not a True Christian! I'm a True Christian(TM) because of X & Z and since you believe in Y, you haven't REALLY found Jesus and been born again!!
Christian 1: You're going to die in the fires of hell, you're the one who's not a TRUE CHRISTIAN!!

*scuffle ensues, and atheists sit back to share popcorn and watch*

Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 AM

2,617 posts, read 2,063,258 times
I have yet to read or see on the news something like this........Agnostic suicide bomber blows up a busload of atheists.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,618,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think the answer to this question is very clear. Atheists tend to get along with one another because they're generally like minded about a great many issues even though they may have considerably different points of view about alot of things. Religious people on the other hand, even when they're all Christians, tend to do alot of bickering and squabbling about who's right and who's wrong. I don't read the Christianity forum but I've been told people can get pretty worked up. Of course it gets much worse when you start looking at the interactions between people of different faiths. The fundamentalists are always criticizing the Catholics, Mormons and others for what they believe and you can sense some real hostility there. Now when we take a worldwide view of various religions it really gets ugly. In the worst case scenarios such as the different sects of Muslims they don't just argue, they kill each other. Iraq is a perfect example but the same thing could be said when Yugoslavia broke up after the fall of communism.
I agree we do seem to get along better than the majority of christians, or muslims. It is easy when we only have to believe in nothing. They on the other hand have too many different views and rules of life, death and all the in between to logical handle the actual truth. I am sure it is hard for an educated person to accept the stories of talking snakes, and human forms flying with wings like birds. The christian hell or even their heaven should be a no brainer to reject with the amount of science the average person is exposed too.
It was just like me when the NY Times admitted to having fake news. I wanted to shut them down and put gum in all their paper machine coin slots. I am sure when their “word of god” is changed to the writers have taking artistic liberties, or it is just symbolism, than they recognize their faith is taking a beating, and they will be looking for someone to blame. It is lucky for us Atheist that they want to blame each other.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM

4,172 posts, read 5,990,942 times
I think not just atheists, but also agnostics and "religious-lite" people that seem to get along well. I do not mean to imply that the deeply religious are bad - but there are some radical elements among them (in all religions) who absolutely think theirs' is the only path and they are the ones many do not get along with. Unfortunately, these radicals are the vocal hate-mongering type (in the name of god, of course). They spread a lot of hatred and make it difficult for many to get along.

Last edited by calmdude; 05-07-2009 at 01:35 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 PM

2,529 posts, read 3,871,883 times
If you're only referring to these boards, then maybe. However, since you've never read the Christian posts, you miss the ones where we discuss things about ourselves, and not Christianity, and we all get along great.

I think outside of these boards, we would all get along great as well.

I have a lot of respect for most people on these boards, regardless if I agree with them or vice versa, Christians and atheists alike. I like most of the people too.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:32 PM

30,875 posts, read 31,754,043 times
I don't know if Atheists get along better, but we do have one less thing to argue about.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,090,160 times
People are people, and they'll find reasons to hate each other and fight--regardless of whether they believe in God or not.

I can honestly say though, that I have a closeness with a fellow Christian from the other side of the world that I don't have with my own sibling. Yes--I have more in common with a sibling, and I have a love for my close family...but without the shared belief in Christ...there is just a difference.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:42 PM

7,557 posts, read 11,891,482 times
I laughed when I saw the title - good question. I do know this: they don't have a thick ancient book to argue over (which is a stumbling block for almost all Christians).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality