Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:24 PM

943 posts, read 3,154,097 times

Advertisements

It am (hardly) working today at home. The boss lets me work from home every Friday and I usually spend the time goofing off on the Internet.

Anyway, here I am sitting home all alone with not much going on and the door bell rings. I get up and at the door is one of the most wholesome polite young men you would ever see with his white shirt and tie. He must of been maybe 18 years old. He was a missionary from the Mormon Church.

It is my understanding that the young men from the church have to spend a year or so doing missionary work. Knocking on doors spreading the faith must be the toughest job out there. I suspect many people are quite rude and many will even slam the door in their face. But of course they did not ask to be disturbed from their daily activity.

I told him I was on the phone and was a little rude. (I lied) I feel guilty. I had nothing important to do but am afraid that if I invited him in my home or listened to him I would not heard the end of it and would get the hard sell.

How would you respond. I only attend Church on Holidays and go to the Luthern Church but am not a member.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 PM

79 posts, read 96,169 times
This is so awesome that this came up because this happened to me and my husband just the other day.

We had a very serious and friendly talk about why we are atheist and why we do not believe in religion period, let alone the Mormon religion. We did get into mormonism a bit but we made it clear that since mormonism is based on christianity it is just as false as far as we are concerned.

We talked to them for a long time, and I really think that we may have gotten some points through to them.

I hope they come back! They were very nice, and very confused. I think we could really help them. At least we could feed them, I know how small the missionary food budget is.

I find it pretty hilarious that an 18 year old can be called elder, but I tried not to hurt their feelings.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:55 PM

783 posts, read 1,324,090 times
Today I talk to them, when time permits. I didn’t used to because I wasn’t secure in my faith in Christ Jesus nor did I know His word. It was for this reason that they intimidated and frustrated me causing me to be rude.

They have offered to come back to discuss their beliefs with me further but they haven’t returned, yet. I imagine another team will show up and we’ll have to start over again, chatting about the fact that it is all about Christ Jesus – no more – no less.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:12 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,755,007 times
I would tell them I am already the prophet of the Church of Righteous Iniquity and offer them a beer.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:16 PM

783 posts, read 1,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I would tell them I am already the prophet of the Church of Righteous Iniquity and offer them a beer.
Okay…they declined the beer but came in the door and are now sitting comfortably in your living room. Now what?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,372,073 times
I'd get rid of them fast so that I could get back to not being busy.
Like any solicitor I would tell them plainly that I am not interested.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:30 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,746,920 times
Like any other uninvited stranger who knocks at my front door, I'd interrupt them before they finished their spiel and say "I'm not interested, take me off your visitation list" and then I'd shut the door.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:36 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,110,831 times
Tell them that I used to be a member but the the true Savior found me. Then I would tell them thanks and to have a blessed day.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:41 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,352,995 times
I say the same thing to them as I say to every other religious group that comes to my door. "we do not share the same philosophy." I am not referring to the way we treat one another . I am always polite. I respect the beliefs of all religions but I do not believe in organized religion.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:46 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,449,219 times
I'd ask them about the gold plates and "reformed Egyptian," about the book View of the Hebrews, about Joseph Smith, Jr.'s dalliance with Fanny Alger, about why Smith's wife Emma Hale would deny Smith practiced plural marriage (Emma Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), about the Nauvoo Expositor newspaper, and why Smith prepared to run for President of the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.