Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:38 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Let's differentiate between intelligent design and compassionate design, lol.

Seems you guys confusing between the two
Compassionate design? A new term.
Are compassionate design and intelligent design opposing values to you?
I can think of various implications to your post.
Somehow, by trying to excuse, justify, defend the creator, it seems the believers merely dig themselves deeper into a hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
If you read (and think) about the OP, this thread is not about eating, or not eating meat. You can do better than that. It's more about one form of life (in this case, mammals) devouring each other as a requirement for existence.
Exactly.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
You are not reading the posts that you are replying too! I never said this world was perfect. I said the world that God created was perfect. The one we are in is the sin-cursed version.

Read what is written, not what you think is written!
I think, not merely believe everything I read. So do most philosophers. I think we live in the god cursed version. Apparently, the creator was never at a loss to create more horrifying brutal and cruel situations.
"Good" is a relative term. For an anti-semite, the Holocaust may be considered as good. So, whatever god calls "good" is not necessarily good.
Did you ever take reading comprehension tests in 7th grade? You know, like you read a 1 1/2 page story and, at the end, you are given questions with multiple choice answers as to the content of the story.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Compassionate design? A new term.
Are compassionate design and intelligent design opposing values to you?
I can think of various implications to your post.
Somehow, by trying to excuse, justify, defend the creator, it seems the believers merely dig themselves deeper into a hole.
Ok, I pulled that out of my head for the sake of good-humoured banter.

The OP roots for compassion in this intelligent design or whatever you call this one (remember, I'm catholic and many catholics don't entertain the concept of intelligent design, this is the official position of the Vatican too)

If we extend this logic of love and compassion, it must be consistent. I'd find the next most intelligent vaccine scientist and slap him for using his intelligence to murder a baby orthomyxoviridium virus. When you get the flu, you should sneeze with love and spread it too.

When I used to design circuits, if I ever had compassion for the struggling baby molecules across the medium, during intense voltaic flows, I'd have failed every semester

Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:

The OP roots for compassion in this intelligent design or whatever you call this one (remember, I'm catholic and many catholics don't entertain the concept of intelligent design, this is the official position of the Vatican too)

If we extend this logic of love and compassion, it must be consistent. I'd find the next most intelligent vaccine scientist and slap him for using his intelligence to murder a baby orthomyxoviridium virus. When you get the flu, you should sneeze with love and spread it too.

When I used to design circuits, if I ever had compassion for the struggling baby molecules across the medium, during intense voltaic flows, I'd have failed every semester
When you think that spreading love is passing on diseases, then forget it. Bless your creator!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:56 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
When you think that spreading love is passing on diseases, then forget it. Bless your creator!
I bet you hoped I'll root for intelligent design like a "cookie-cutter" fundie. Did I catch you unawares?

Taking God out of the human veggie-carnivore debate, the carnivores are natural, play by science and pretty much get on with their lives.

The veggies on the other hand are nothing but activists who simply cannot maintain consistency in what they stand for.

Human as a mammal is not born veggie. Something gets into ideology during growth and the whole "vegetarianism" starts to unfold.

If mom had compassionately intellidesigned me, refused baby food and had cast poor Tony in her garden, Lamarck will advocate that Tony started to eat the leaves from the mango tree and successfully evolved his giraffey neck

Old 05-13-2009, 12:07 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,424 times
well, it all seems so justified, with tony having all the rhetorics so neatly ready to regurgitate for eternity.

FREE thought could come to quite different conclusions, but has regularly been banned into the fantasy realm.

another label won't kill me, when did we all become carnivorous?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:

To the bolded part: Why?
I don't eat cows but I slap mosquitos to death. I am also responsible for countless murders of wheat stalks and corn ears. So what? What would possibly bind me to behaving the exact same way towards all living creatures? "Logic" is not the answer because each decision that I make has a different set of circumstances.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times
OP/ Visvaldis - unless I am missing something, I think we are not even close to answering the question you asked. A lot of tangential opinions, but no cigar.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:30 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
OP/ Visvaldis - unless I am missing something, I think we are not even close to answering the question you asked. A lot of tangential opinions, but no cigar.
Yep, you're right. Only a handful of people here are really getting the point I brought up in my original post. I think part of the problem is that the mods moved my post from the "atheism" forum to this one. I wish they hadn't. I would have rather had responses from more atheists....I think they might have comprehended my post better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality