Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:48 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,987,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Ehrman has a bad habit of giving his opinion in one part of his book and brings up that opinion later as if it were fact and builds upon such manipulation that is subtly overlooked by the readers and later once again taken as facts. I pointed this out to a friend who thought he was a great author so she read his book again and noticed what I told her was true so maybe some of you need to reread his books and watch out for his manipulation of the facts.
Which book of his have you read, Robin? While you're at it, can you provide me an example from one of his books what you mean?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 08:40 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,750,074 times
Quote:
Ehrman has a bad habit of giving his opinion in one part of his book and brings up that opinion later as if it were fact and builds upon such manipulation that is subtly overlooked by the readers and later once again taken as facts. I pointed this out to a friend who thought he was a great author so she read his book again and noticed what I told her was true so maybe some of you need to reread his books and watch out for his manipulation of the facts.
I find this same manipulation technique used in the bible countless times!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:48 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,750,074 times
Quote:
This quote in an earlier post about the bible is an example of that type of manipulation.

Quote:
The article claims he knows the culture of the times, yet he dosen't understand why Paul said that women couldn't talk in Church. It was not that woman could not be preachers, but in that particular church that Paul addressed, the woman were all talking while the service was taking place. Paul was saying tell them to be quite when others are talking!
[quote=Nikk;8824373]

Old 05-18-2009, 03:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,661,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Obviously, you are aware the the concepts put forth by Dan Brown in The DaVinci Code were well researched ideas that had been around for decades before he wrote it. Most notably in the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", to which Brown pay tribute to the authors (who later sued him) by creating anagrams of the authors names in characters.

Just because you haven't heard of the research that went into it, doesn't mean it just emerged as fiction and can be dismissed that easily.

That said - Erhman is FAR from a fiction writer.

I don't know why scholarly research of the nature discussed in that article threatens religious people so much. If you speak the truth, it should withstand any scrutiny. Is your faith that fragile? Must we simply turn a blind eye in order to take your faith at face value?

I know I have tested my spirituality through experimentation and welcome any others to do the same. It will withstand.

P.S. By the "logic" expressed in this thread, we should all agree that the "Left Behind" series is a pack of lies as well because they're making some major bank. Not to mention, pretty much every mega-church or evangelist. Ridin' off the rails on the GRAVY TRAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNN
Sorry, blue, you're the one taking things at face value

I didn't feel compelled to respond to this thread. I'm suffering from the redundancy of nearly one decade of counter-danbrownomic polemics.

But, let's look at one "well-researched" ideas off the top of my head. La Priory de Sion. An age old org dating back centuries, encompassing distinguished fellowship. Sadly, the most tangible such org was only founded in the 1950s by two fraudsters, who faked a LOT of documents.

It's been the general school of thought among academic circles that the holy grail, dan brown and the like are nothing but sexed-up fiction. I think I can rest my case and jaywalk at peace

On Ehrman, don't we all know what fetches more pork? Everybody's free to choose his own choice. I can definitely appreciate the need for money. I would love to drive a Ferrari, if I were him, now.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 05-18-2009 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Respect for French :D and not appear like a douchebag to blue

Old 05-18-2009, 03:37 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,507,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Sorry, blue, you're the one taking things at face value

I didn't feel compelled to respond to this thread. I'm suffering from the redundancy of nearly one decade of counter-danbrownomic polemics.

But, let's look at one "well-researched" ideas off the top of my head. Da Priory da Sion. An age old org dating back centuries, encompassing distinguished fellowship. Did you think about the Lord of the Rings here? Sadly, the most tangible such org was only founded in the 1950s by two fraudsters, who faked a LOT of documents.

It's been the general school of thought among academic circles that the holy grail, dan brown and the like are nothing but sexed-up fiction. I think I can rest my case and jaywalk at peace

On Ehrman, don't we all know what fetches more pork? Everybody's free to choose his own choice. I can definitely appreciate the need for money. I would love to drive a Ferrari, if I were him, now.
no ferrari when it can be a lamborghini..

(sorry, that's off topic, just joking)

Old 05-18-2009, 03:43 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,661,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
no ferrari when it can be a lamborghini..

(sorry, that's off topic, just joking)
Been saving up money for a corvette , I am thinking I will imprint the templar knight seal on the front bumper.

That way Danny can include me in his sequel as the newest fellow of the Priory de Sion, a crusader knight driving a corvette I can definitely fit into his fantasy of an extremist idiot.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:48 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,507,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Been saving up money for a corvette , I am thinking I will imprint the templar knight seal on the front bumper.

That way Danny can include me in his sequel as the newest fellow of the Priory de Sion, a crusader knight driving a corvette I can definitely fit into his fantasy of an extremist idiot.

well, grateful dead appreciates the golden opportunity of contributing to that sequel, occasionally ..... at least .....

Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,987,522 times
Has anyone seen Robin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality