Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
How so? No reason to believe representatives of its species (assuming it was a distinct species and not a mutation of an existing one) were not present on the ark.
You're the expert. Either way: case closed. Just a little monkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
How so? No reason to believe representatives of its species (assuming it was a distinct species and not a mutation of an existing one) were not present on the ark.

Mutation? Isn't that a type of evolution? Are you saying that you support evolution? Isn't that against your bible?

I'm confused

Old 05-20-2009, 10:45 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
It can be frustrating, indeed. Those scientists are a bunch of hard working men. It's truly a shame that I have to be picking on their efforts, because of those who spin their hard work to fit into their agenda.

LOL, rifleman, it was a good write-up That gave me a chuckle. So I thought I would reciprocate.

Celebrant: Darwin be with you
Crowd: And also with you
Celebrant: A reading from the Gospel of Evolution according to scientists
Crowd: Glory to you, Darwin
Celebrant: And then the Lemur was condemned to death by the fossil rock, as the scribes and the christians cheered. It was only a few hours in the morning and the crucifixion of Ida, the queen of the fossils, was to take place in the place they called the skull museum, or the NovaYorka, as the place had been known. And to oversee the inquisition came a band of crude warriors, ruthless in behaviour and atrocity, and they sought to lead the procession of Ida, along the via lemurosa.

Notable among them was an uncouth youth whom they called a colossus for reasons unknown, flanked by his superiors, other christians with spears and short swords, chief among them, the high priest kdbrich, also known as kdaiaphas. And the lemur proceeded under the weight of the rock as lash upon lash fell on the daughter of evolution. Just at this moment, Ida stopped by a band of weeping intellectuals and she said unto them, "Children of intelligence, why do you weep for me, weep for your own fossils". Halfway into the journey, the lemur was almost crumbling from its weight of the imagination of her followers.

And at this instant, the inquisitors picked on Lemurman, whom they also called the fossilman, from the crowd. The inquisitors forced him to shoulder a part of the rock, so Ida can complete the journey to the museum. In a fit of rage, Lemurman grabs his rifle and shoots indiscrimately at the crowd of perpetrators.

It did not have any effect on the scribes and the christians, as the rifle had reverse evolved into a bb gun. And they mocked and jeered at him. To this, the lemurman said unto Ida, "Auntie, I have failed you, but remember me today so I can enter your queendom". And Ida said unto him, "Truly I tell thee, today you will enter the museum with me, on a free ticket"

This is the Gospel of our Lord.

Crowd: Praise be to Darwin.

<the fossil persecutor flees on his heels>
lol...I think your retoric get funnier and funnier. You will soon have to give up your day job.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Default And God then said: "Let There Be Eternal Darkness!" And there was....

Just to set everyone straight: there is no more desperate search for a missing link. That was in the old days, before they understood genetics, and waaaayyyy before DNA mapping techniques were available to researchers, and which are so darned ireffutible today. When they thought in terms of absolute, discrete, defined "steps" in species evolution. And that anything less was just "micro-evolution", which they accepted as time went along. (Of course, we scientists knew all along that's exactly what Evolution is, but the Christians can't abide that one.)

Sadly, most Christian readers still think in this way, being led by their intellectual nose-rings by such luminary sources as Answers in Genesis or The Creation Institute. You know, the ones who celebrate intellectual darkness? Them.

But, to play along with the denialists for a moment; what would "transitional form" mean now, in light of what we know about genotypes, etc? Something that's somewhere between a pure chimp, let's say, and the first more-or-less upright humanoid/chimpoid? A distinct species? No continuum?

Rather, there is in fact a continuum of ever-so-slightly changed genotypes in any and all species. We know that part's true in ANY living organism with DNA in it (which is, far as I know, pretty much ALL of them. Any arguers about that? kd? You like to refute known facts, so jump in any time, please...)

So... aside from outward physical similarities, evolutionary researchers can and do get into significantly more detail than do the Answers in Genesis types:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/images/jaws1.gif (broken link)

And in addition, (as of about 2007) we can now look at specific DNA sequence changes, however minor. They all tell a tale of change and adaption, of phenotypical (outward) differences reflective of genotypical (inner DNA genome) mutations.

for example, we even now know the sequences of extinct species:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...-8&oi=scholarr

or...

http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/res...guide_p1.shtml

or:

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Software/Artemis/Examples/

(This last link provides, for everyone who is even a bit interested in the truth, a spectacular and free DNA Sequence reader program, so you can delve into such stuff, happliy assisted by your computer. Oddly, this is not noted in AiG as an alternate technical read. Hmmmm...)

This sort of information shows us all we need to know. Aside from bone shape similarities, for example, or other such "macro" clues, we now have the ulitmate micro-truth. Incontrovertible, irrefutible, undeniable. no more expeditions to deepest, darkest Africa in search for some oddball "missing Link" form.

You want a transitional form? you have but to just look at your grandfather, your mother, or your crazy sibling brother/sister.

BTW, I recently read that the IDTs (Intransigent Dogmo-Theists) have now (necessarily) decided that the benchmark 2008 research by Dr. Richard Lenski where he showed, absolutely, that chance DNA mutations could (and did) lead to a new organism, are now saying that God purposefully "tinkered" with Dr. Lenski's experiments "to confuse science".

Ahhh, if so; such a nice, kindly, blessed God, loving of knowledge and curiosity! one wonders why he just doesn't (or can't) show himself...

But so... there it is: the ulitmate fallback when the proof is absolute.

"Goddidit!"

In other words, it's pointless, fruitless and sadly irrelevant to even try to bring light into the room. So many prefer the Eternal Darkness.

Last edited by rifleman; 05-20-2009 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-20-2009, 11:24 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Mutation? Isn't that a type of evolution? Are you saying that you support evolution? Isn't that against your bible?

I'm confused

mutation doesn't equate evolution. There's no reason to believe that it introduced any new data into the genome, or that its descendants (if it had any) had the same mutations.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
mutation doesn't equate evolution. There's no reason to believe that it introduced any new data into the genome, or that its descendants (if it had any) had the same mutations.
Actually, a mutation is a type of evolution. An item mutates (evolves) from one thing into another. It is no longer a duplicate of the original (genome). It has changed from the original. Remember, evolution does not have to be a positive step, just a change.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM

970 posts, read 1,699,953 times
Quote:
mutation doesn't equate evolution. There's no reason to believe that it introduced any new data into the genome
Please define "data".
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich
or that its descendants (if it had any) had the same mutations.
Wait a second. You did study biology in high school, right? Because that sentence betrays an astonishing ignorance of even the basics of genetics.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:53 PM

58 posts, read 91,116 times
Thrilling.
I honestly wish that other people could see the blatant and obvious fact that humans are indeed monkeys! (*screeech*)

Actually we're closely related to Bonobos, chimps, and orangutans, not so much apes, though.

Humans are, comparing to what exists on Earth, highly intelligent and capable primates. However, we are still sadistic, violent, naive, occasionally empathetic, greedy know-it-alls.

Maybe one day, humans could realize how simple it is to achieve peace and be able to love the Earth itself.
If the Abrahamic god (the god of Christianity) existed, and he came to Earth and saw our mess, he would probably exterminate us or something, because honestly, that's what I would do. Either that, or change the way you think or something.

A funny story you might enjoy is one that just happened yesterday;
Our 4th grade class is visiting the zoo all week, and theres this little scholarly girl in my class named Emma, and she was so interested in the monkeys that I decided to take the class over there.
Well, a baby chimp popped up in front of us and the class was hysterical, but Emma just put her hand up to the glass by the chimp's hand, and she just smiled this wide, almost proud smile.
Then a few adult females, and the adult male came up, and Emma did the same thing.
A few minutes later, Emma just started cracking up out of nowhere, and I asked her what was the matter, and she just told me, "The baby is gonna go to the top of the tree and bring me his favorite stick.", and sure enough a minute or two later the chimp is jumping around in front of us holding up this stick with a design or something carved into it.
That was the most intriguing thing I've ever seen.

~Peace&Love

Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Kind of the point that I was making. Why attack a belief system that exists? Defending your own from attack or inane statements/assumptions is another matter.
Huh? Concept theft is plagiarism, comrade. Besides, you can look past the googletons and reconcile with the fact that I'm a mere defender of my faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
lol...I think your retoric get funnier and funnier. You will soon have to give up your day job.
The gnostic scientists are already alleging that colossus collated the gospel

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 05-20-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 07:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxUniversum View Post
A funny story you might enjoy is one that just happened yesterday;
Our 4th grade class is visiting the zoo all week, and theres this little scholarly girl in my class named Emma, and she was so interested in the monkeys that I decided to take the class over there.
Well, a baby chimp popped up in front of us and the class was hysterical, but Emma just put her hand up to the glass by the chimp's hand, and she just smiled this wide, almost proud smile.
Then a few adult females, and the adult male came up, and Emma did the same thing.
A few minutes later, Emma just started cracking up out of nowhere, and I asked her what was the matter, and she just told me, "The baby is gonna go to the top of the tree and bring me his favorite stick.", and sure enough a minute or two later the chimp is jumping around in front of us holding up this stick with a design or something carved into it.
That was the most intriguing thing I've ever seen.

~Peace&Love
Hit it!!!!

If we could talk to the animals, just imagine it

Chatting to a chimp in chimpanzee

Imagine talking to a tiger, chatting to a cheetah

What a neat achievement that would be.

tum de dum.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality