Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,373,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It is you who should learn the truth of God and what Jesus taught and what His resurrection and dying was really all about. No man can save you from sin. You are the only one who can do that. Jesus will not carry your own misdeeds for you. You will find that to be true upon entry into the spirit world as it will be you, as well as the rest of the people on earth, who will be the ordinary dead.
In a sense we do 'save' ourselves from sin. We do that by choosing NOT to sin! (Though we will fall on occasion, that's what repentance is for.)

However, it is my belief that regardless of how well we DO on this earth we will still never be able to atone for our sins and balance the eternal scales of justice. It is necessary that there be an atonement. Jesus the Christ was not an ordinary man so, ok, no man can save us from sin. But Christ CAN because of his infinite atonement. Works are important in my beliefs, but ultimately we are saved only by the grace of Jesus Christ, which you deny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Yep. Belief in a genocidal maniac is better than a better belief.

Not.

Regards
DL
You mock God, but that certainly is one of the options His children can choose from while they walk their mortal experience.

It is my belief that we are all the literal children of God the Father. He created our spirit bodies, our earthly parents created our physical bodies. During our mortal lives our spirit bodies dwell within the physical. They animate and integrate the myriad forms of intelligence that compose our physical bodies. When the spirit makes its final departure, the physical body loses its ability to move of its own accord and begins to disintegrate.

God gives us "free agency" the ability and right to make choices for ourselves. And He places us in an environment where we are presented with opposites so we are required to make choices on a daily basis. Some of those choices have potentially eternal consequences as we choose actions that move us closer to good and God or closer to evil and Satan.

It is because some of God's children consistently choose evil that there are such things as murder and genocide on this planet. Yes, God allows us to choose evil, but He's not the one who is doing it, His desire is for us to 'grow up' and become more like Him our Heavenly Parent. (I.e. all good, zero evil.)

But sure, there are occasions when God commanded His chosen (e.g. when the Israelites crossed from Egypt to their promised land) to destroy others because He knew if they didn't they themselves would be destroyed, or would be tempted and succumb to the evil behavior of the gentiles. But God sees things from a different perspective than we do. For example, for us dying physically is leaving this planet, for Him it is returning to Him, or at least to spiritual realms.

Just some random thoughts, hope they make some sense for all they may be worth if anything, it seems that you are profoundly cynical when it comes to anything to do with God and religion. But if you mock God I suppose you are not an atheist but believe that there is a God?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,104,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
You mock God, but that certainly is one of the options His children can choose from while they walk their mortal experience.

It is my belief that we are all the literal children of God the Father. He created our spirit bodies, our earthly parents created our physical bodies. During our mortal lives our spirit bodies dwell within the physical. They animate and integrate the myriad forms of intelligence that compose our physical bodies. When the spirit makes its final departure, the physical body loses its ability to move of its own accord and begins to disintegrate.

God gives us "free agency" the ability and right to make choices for ourselves. And He places us in an environment where we are presented with opposites so we are required to make choices on a daily basis. Some of those choices have potentially eternal consequences as we choose actions that move us closer to good and God or closer to evil and Satan.

It is because some of God's children consistently choose evil that there are such things as murder and genocide on this planet. Yes, God allows us to choose evil, but He's not the one who is doing it, His desire is for us to 'grow up' and become more like Him our Heavenly Parent. (I.e. all good, zero evil.)

But sure, there are occasions when God commanded His chosen (e.g. when the Israelites crossed from Egypt to their promised land) to destroy others because He knew if they didn't they themselves would be destroyed, or would be tempted and succumb to the evil behavior of the gentiles. But God sees things from a different perspective than we do. For example, for us dying physically is leaving this planet, for Him it is returning to Him, or at least to spiritual realms.

Just some random thoughts, hope they make some sense for all they may be worth if anything, it seems that you are profoundly cynical when it comes to anything to do with God and religion. But if you mock God I suppose you are not an atheist but believe that there is a God?
I certainly am when the God in question is a genocidal maniac who kills all but 8 of His children.

I will remain so till Jews start to follow Hitler.
That is the same as you following your genocidal God.
That is called the Stockholm syndrome.

Regards
DL

Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
If you've ever felt a celestial spirit, you would not say that. I have and they feel nothing as you describe. They are warm and you will tingle from head to toe and be enveloped in so much Love that it is indescribable. My soul is well advanced and it literally took my breath away because they emit unconditional love. It's sheer pleasure to be enveloped in their love. I cannot describe in words what was felt because there are no words in the english language to dscribe it.
You appear to be describing a close encounter with the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit, a member of the Godhead whose function is to teach and witness. He often does that by the simultaneous transmission of intelligence/information and the warm joyful feelings you describe. There's nothing particularly unusual about such a peak experience though not everyone has them. But in my limited experience it is highly unusual among Christians to attribute such a manifestation as coming from some other kind of being than God.

But then, you deny what's actually written in the Holy Bible and replace it with your own denomination's beliefs which you accept as being more valid than the biblical interpretations of other Christian denominations.

I find it a bit strange communicating with you in this manner because it reverses the typical Johnny versus the Mormons conversation and places me in a perspective that Johnny would take. (His being that I am not a Christian and Johnny is.) Now here's me thinking that YOU are not a Christian when you say you are!

Life's so strange, but fun...

Old 05-22-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
I certainly am when the God in question is a genocidal maniac who kills all but 8 of His children.

I will remain so till Jews start to follow Hitler.
That is the same as you following your genocidal God.
That is called the Stockholm syndrome.

Regards
DL
Ok, it seems that you are referring to the biblical account of the universal flood. Right, the world had become so wicked that God did destroy the wicked and start over again. We're expecting Him to do that again, next time with fire.

It is my understanding that God warned the wicked time and time again to repent and turn to Him and righteous behavior. But they chose of their own accord to party and mock God right to the time the rains came. But I also understand that those who were righteous had been quietly "translated" lifted up to heaven similar to Enoch and his city prior to the floods, so only the wicked remained on earth excepting Noah and his family.

You seem to think that it is better for life to remain on this earth in a state of gross wickedness and disobedience to their and the planet's Creator than for God to destroy the wicked and make place for the righteous. It is expected that such a cleansing will take place again, perhaps soon judging by the general state of wickedness in this world, but whenever, it will be prior to the Millennial reign of Jesus Christ, a thousand years of righteousness after the wicked are destroyed in the flesh.

If it was not for God you and all others would not even have a chance on earth to make your choices for good or for evil. I think you are unwise in mocking Him and His ways and purposes. He is a loving God who has the ETERNAL well-being and progress of His children in mind. Mortal life is just a tiny blink in the eons of awareness that stretch before us.

You probably think that thieves and murderers should not be locked up in prisons or put to death either? I mean, wouldn't that make those who work in the criminal justice system, and those who make the laws unjust "maniacs"?

There is peace to be had in this world, and love and kindness too. But it doesn't come by mocking God and what He's doing His best to accomplish with this planet while still allowing His children the freedom to CHOOSE for themselves.

That's how I see it.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:12 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,499,484 times
Quote:

That's how I see it.
Do you believe it is moral to punish children for the sins of their father?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,020,829 times
Quote:
That's interesting, I'm not familiar with your beliefs, they are certainly not taught in the Holy Bible. Would you say you are into the occult?

I have no problem with anyone believing whatever they want but I'm wondering why you would choose to call yourself a Christian when you are not a follower of Jesus Christ and do not accept his teachings as recorded in the New Testament? I find it difficult for anyone who does not accept the literal resurrection of Jesus Christ and his Atonement to be a genuine Christian. (Though there are certainly a wide variety of beliefs held by the followers of Jesus, and many Christian denominations.)
Actually, the spirits call people, who follow what someone else believes without doing your own research, a cult. I found my beliefs on my own because I asked God to show me truths and to not give me that crap about fear and death and to just straight up tell me the truth. He showed me. I took the path He laid out for me. Most bible readers will only follow the path that their parents or friends or family gave them because they don't want to be outcasts. They live in fear of an angry God who does not exist. God is unconditional love. He is soul. He is personality. He is humility and merciful. He is patient and kind. And He is just.

And what exactly are Jesus' teachings? And why do I need to accept what is written in that book only? It was written by men. So far, no one on this forum seems to be able to answer that question. They tell me He died for our sin. That isn't what He taught. They tell me He is God. That isn't what He taught. They tell me that He is the way, the truth and the life. Sure He is, but that is't what He taught. I follow what He taught. I follow Him because I choose to. I don't have to read the bible to do that. I can get God's truths from my very own God Fragment that dwells within. No book can show you that. No book is 100% truth. Only God is ultimate truth and infallable. Until we are in His presence, we will be fallable. I plan on being in His presence. I am on that path and I have no doubt what so ever I will be there.

I don't need yours or anyone elses permission to be called a Divine Love Christian. That is what Jesus calls me.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,499,484 times
Quote:
Ok, it seems that you are referring to the biblical account of the universal flood. Right, the world had become so wicked that God did destroy the wicked and start over again. We're expecting Him to do that again, next time with fire.

It is my understanding that God warned the wicked time and time again to repent and turn to Him and righteous behavior. But they chose of their own accord to party and mock God right to the time the rains came. But I also understand that those who were righteous had been quietly "translated" lifted up to heaven similar to Enoch and his city prior to the floods, so only the wicked remained on earth excepting Noah and his family.

You seem to think that it is better for life to remain on this earth in a state of gross wickedness and disobedience to their and the planet's Creator than for God to destroy the wicked and make place for the righteous. It is expected that such a cleansing will take place again, perhaps soon judging by the general state of wickedness in this world, but whenever, it will be prior to the Millennial reign of Jesus Christ, a thousand years of righteousness after the wicked are destroyed in the flesh.

If it was not for God you and all others would not even have a chance on earth to make your choices for good or for evil. I think you are unwise in mocking Him and His ways and purposes. He is a loving God who has the ETERNAL well-being and progress of His children in mind. Mortal life is just a tiny blink in the eons of awareness that stretch before us.

You probably think that thieves and murderers should not be locked up in prisons or put to death either? I mean, wouldn't that make those who work in the criminal justice system, and those who make the laws unjust "maniacs"?

There is peace to be had in this world, and love and kindness too. But it doesn't come by mocking God and what He's doing His best to accomplish with this planet while still allowing His children the freedom to CHOOSE for themselves.

That's how I see it.
Some times the God of the Christian bible was loving. Sometimes he was a lunatic. It all depends on who was describing him. Some time he killed for pretty petty reasons. Some times he ordered his follower to to kill everyone in a foreign village except the young virgins girls, who God said they should take as their sex slaves. He killed 42 kids for laughing at a bald guy. He was made at the pharaoh, so he personally killed every first born child in Egypt. He ordered his followers to punch out the ear drums of the slaves they captured.

He was into genocide, infanticide, human trafficking, forcing young girls into being sex slaves, he was about as bad of a role model as one could imagine, assuming everything in the old testament is true.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
In a sense we do 'save' ourselves from sin. We do that by choosing NOT to sin! (Though we will fall on occasion, that's what repentance is for.)

However, it is my belief that regardless of how well we DO on this earth we will still never be able to atone for our sins and balance the eternal scales of justice. It is necessary that there be an atonement. Jesus the Christ was not an ordinary man so, ok, no man can save us from sin. But Christ CAN because of his infinite atonement. Works are important in my beliefs, but ultimately we are saved only by the grace of Jesus Christ, which you deny.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I believe we all have the ability and the choice to atone for our sin. All of them. And also the inclination to sin as Jesus taught while He was on earth. No one is exempt when they ask. Jesus is not God so He can do nothing for our sins. I only believe that God can do that. He is my creator and He is who I worship. Jesus is my Big Brother who leads and guides and teaches me. I follow Him through what He taught and that is what saves you from sin. Divine Love can get rid of all your sins and the inclination to sin so that we become perfect as God in heaven is perfect.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
You appear to be describing a close encounter with the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit, a member of the Godhead whose function is to teach and witness. He often does that by the simultaneous transmission of intelligence/information and the warm joyful feelings you describe. There's nothing particularly unusual about such a peak experience though not everyone has them. But in my limited experience it is highly unusual among Christians to attribute such a manifestation as coming from some other kind of being than God.

But then, you deny what's actually written in the Holy Bible and replace it with your own denomination's beliefs which you accept as being more valid than the biblical interpretations of other Christian denominations.

I find it a bit strange communicating with you in this manner because it reverses the typical Johnny versus the Mormons conversation and places me in a perspective that Johnny would take. (His being that I am not a Christian and Johnny is.) Now here's me thinking that YOU are not a Christian when you say you are!

Life's so strange, but fun...
There is a difference between receiving Gods Love into the soul and being touched by a Celestial. Hey are two distinct things. God's love burns in the soul and feels like a flame. I have to ask sometimes for it to stop because it can get very intense.

I don't ask anyone to believe in what I believe. You can choose your path and I cannot do anything but tell of my own experiences. It doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong. They are both right according to our own experiences. You are not where I am in my journey as I am not where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality