Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:43 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times

Advertisements

dcashley wrote:
Quote:
Actually for his theory to work, the speed of Earth's rotation woudn't matter. What would matter is the speed that it goes around the sun. Since all planets travel at about the same speed as measured from them, this would mean that the Earth would have to be closer to the sun.
I hadn't even considered the idea that you've come up with, you're suggesting that the years would just have to be alot shorter and therefore a person could conceivably live for many centuries but the actual numbers of total days would still be about the same. Of course you also point out that life couldn't survive being that close to the sun anyway. That's an interesting thought. No matter how you look at it though, human beings have never lived for upwards of 1,000 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,165 times
Abraham and his near kin are laid to rest in the 'Cave of the Patriarchs' in Hebron. There is an extra-cannonical book which states that before the flood, Noah took with him, on the ark, the bodies of Adam and Eve. (A different book states that Noah had Adam and Eve's clothes, made by God, and that Ham took them and lay waste to/subdued a good portion of the world, may even have been the same book). Anyway, after the flood, Noah took and laid Adam and Eve to rest in a mountain, that I want to say was 'the mountain of God' which has been referenced both as Mt. Hebron and Mt. Sinai. The same story tells how Noah was also buried there. It is said that Mt. Sinai is actually in Saudi Arabia, Which is the historical location of Midian. Of which people, Moses took a wife (who is later called an Ethiopian). There Saudi government has a fence around said mountains, and access is severely restricted. There are youtube videos showing the place, by a family who snuck in and filmed it. There is an altar, and renderings of a cow. there is a rock a bit further away, which stands but seems to have been either cleaved with extremely high heat, or worn by water. Hope the intel helps!

Last edited by mike75925; 07-12-2016 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: looking for tag line and editing

Old 07-12-2016, 04:33 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
In the past, people lived longer life span than the recent poeple lived.
Prior to the Deluge of Noah, they used to live hundreds of years, then following the Deluge, they lived tens of years.

This is about Noah in the Quran 29: 14
وَلَقَدْ أَرْسَلْنَا نُوحًا إِلَى قَوْمِهِ فَلَبِثَ فِيهِمْ أَلْفَ سَنَةٍ إِلَّا خَمْسِينَ عَامًا فَأَخَذَهُمُ الطُّوفَانُ وَهُمْ ظَالِمُونَ

The explanation:
(We did send Noah to his people, and he tarried among them a thousand years, all but fifty; and the flood overtook them while they were wrong-doers.)

Noah lived for 950 years among his people,
Abraham lived 180 years as I remember,
Moses 120 years as I think,
Mohammed lived 63 years.

The reason for this is that in the past the Earth spinned around itself quicker than it did later on: it became slower and slower as time passes by; because its core became colder and colder gradually as time passes by.

Cause of the Gravitation (http://universeandquran.t35.com/new_..._Around_Itself - broken link)_

I can link to excerpts of books that claim Jedi Knights lived a long time ago in a galaxy far away. It doesn't make it true.

The fact is there is zero evidence for the claim that people used to live hundreds of years.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:05 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I can link to excerpts of books that claim Jedi Knights lived a long time ago in a galaxy far away. It doesn't make it true.

The fact is there is zero evidence for the claim that people used to live hundreds of years.
Yea? but is your book in a long dead language that everyone has trouble translating that your omni-god didn't know was going to happen?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:25 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,043,639 times
Bear in mind that the Biblical authors were probably only familiar with the burial practices of their day. It's impossible to say what types of burials were practiced in the Primeval Age.

As for the Bronze Age, however, there is a wealth of archaeological examples of burial sites from Palestine/Syria that reflect what some of the Biblical authors were familiar with when they wrote such famous phrases such as
Now the days that Yorov'am reigned as king were twenty and two years;
then he lay beside his fathers,
and Nadav his son reigned as king in his place.
(I Kings 14:20 SB Fox)

And he [Joseph] commanded them, saying to them:
I am now about to be gathered to my kinspeople;
bury me by my fathers,
in the cave that is in the field of Efron the Hittite....
(Genesis 49:29-29 SB Fox)

Some translations render "slept with his fathers", but the idea is dual: a) the corporeal sense is that the body was laid to rest in a family tomb containing the bones of previously deceased relatives, and b) the incorporeal sense is that a proper burial among relatives was necessary to ensure the proper continuation of one's Name in the "above"-world, but also the self in the Netherworld: Sheol, in Hebrew. This was a common ancient Near Eastern belief, and highlighted the importance of one's family in proper burial rites, as well as the fairly well-known Mesopotamian curses that would befall anyone not properly buried. The Bible itself (as well as contemporary Jewish custom) illustrate the importance of a proper burial, as well.

But besides all that (and much more could be said), there were several types of known burial tombs. A defining feature of some Judahite tombs were shelves to lay fresh bodies, and then a pit to store the dismantled bones of previous bodies when more room was needed - an "ossuary" of a primitive sort.

One of the important works on this subject is Elizabeth Bloch-Smith's Judahite Burial Practices and Beliefs About the Dead (Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies 123, Sheffield 1992: hardcover available here: http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/judahit...781850753353/; pdf available here: http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/judahit...9780567506238/, but also available on Google Books: https://books.google.com/books?id=zG...0tombs&f=false). If anyone wants a PDF of the book, send me a message and I will make it available on Box.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:42 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
When Adam and Eve, Noah and all of the others who were said to have lived for many centuries finally died were they buried in known locations with headstones or monuments of some sort? I know that everyone is going to say that the preNoah senior citizens had their remains washed away by the flood but what about Noah himself? I would think that a person of this importance would be buried in an elaborate manner and that we should have historical records of the location but I've never heard of any. I would also think that if scientists were able to examine the remains of an individual who died after living to be hundreds of years old that it would be an incredible discovery that would lend credibility to the stories in Genesis. I realize that there are many people who have searched for Noah's ark for a very long time but what about the remains of Noah himself? Why aren't creationists investigating this line of inquiry?
Some speculated the Sphinx was the tomb of Eve. It could be some of those tombs are deeply buried under many feet of silt from the world-wide flood.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I always wondered about the graves of King David and King Solomon.

Surely they had an elaborate burial site.
I think it was, the now late, Dr. Ernest Martin who stated that David's tomb is against what was the southern wall of Jerusalem and that when Herod wanted to rebuild the temple he sent certain ones into David's tomb and told gold out of it to pay for the temple.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:10 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,502 times
Personally, I don't believe in Adam and Eve and Noah, in particular, of those mentioned, as actual humans who existed. I consider them personifications or symbols of different aspects of humanity, and I think their stories are wonderful things, but I don't think of their stories as actual historical events.

However, not finding the tomb of this or that person, or a dig site showing evidence of this or that event, doesn't automatically mean it never existed or happened. It may be so deep as to be lost. It may just not have been found yet.

People thought the city of Troy as written of by Homer was totally fictitious and legendary until an archaeologist in the mid-19th century read closely, made some calculations, broke out some maps and found it. We now know the Tojan War actually happened.

Heck, gorillas were considered mythical by most Europeans until the mid-19th century. Doesn't mean there weren't gorillas around.

Again, I certainly don't view The Bible as a reliable history textbook. that would be silly. Nevertheless, I believe there is much history to be found in it. There have been archaeological projects that have supported the existence of this or that king, or city, or tribe, etc. that were written of in The Bible.

It's the whole "throw the baby out with the bathwater" thing that Eusebius and I discussed recently. Just because there are some very dark passages in The Bible entailing horrific events, wars, executions, etc. does not negate all of the other positive messages and beauty the Bible contains.

Likewise, just because not every single word of The Bible may be literally true, that doesn't mean it doesn't contain some truth and some history.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:03 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75925 View Post
abraham and his near kin are laid to rest in the 'cave of the patriarchs' in hebron. There is an extra-cannonical

boom!

Old 07-15-2016, 11:14 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,481 times
The long-lived elders would have been a great pool of knowledge. But they never interacted with their great-grandchildren. Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality