U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 PM

12,439 posts, read 5,772,643 times

Advertisements

Besides the obvious difference on the divinity of Jesus...what are the other different views between the two religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 05:48 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,717,421 times
Christianity is a sect of Judaism, but has become so big that it is in a separate category of its own.

The problem is that within Christianity itself there is such a variety of opinion, and beliefs that it can be difficult to compare the two groups.

Being Jewish is hard to define aswell. Some people call themselves Jewish because they were born into a Jewish family regardless of what they believe. I have seen this in America with many Christians. They say they are Christian, but that could mean they are American, go to church ocationally, go to church at christmas and easter or there parrents or grandparrents where christian.

Generally a Jewish person would hold to the teaching of the Torah and the commentaries in the Talmud. Christians would generally hold to the Torah (OT) and the NT. Christians tend to focus on Jesus Christ and his teachings and his fullfilment of the law and prophets through his virgin birth, sinless life, atoning sacrifice and resurrection from the dead.

Jewish people tend to see the Torah as helping them live life here on earth in the now. Where the christian is more concerned with the here-after or life in heaven.

Jewish people tend to hold to the old holidays as given in the Torah, the Day of Tabernacles, the Passover, etc. where the Christian will celebrate Christmas (representing the birth of Christ) and Easter representing his death and resurrection.

Both Christians and Jews value Israel and the city of God, Jerusalem. This is because for the Christian, God has said many words concerning the blessing of Israel, Jerusalem and the Jewish people. Revelation even notes 'the new Jerusalem' as one of the final places of eternity.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:28 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,392,621 times
Jews are easier to get along with and can be quite funny at times.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Christianity is a sect of Judaism, but has become so big that it is in a separate category of its own.

I don't think that I have ever though of Christianity being a sect of Judaism...I guess both have the God of Abraham and some Christians still hold to the Old Testament, while others (New Covenant) no longer believe the Old Testament is relevant. I believe it is not a sect of Judaism but a completely different religion like Islam is a completely different religion. I am not certain because I am not that proficient on Islam, but I think Allah is the God of Abraham as well.

The problem is that within Christianity itself there is such a variety of opinion, and beliefs that it can be difficult to compare the two groups.

I think you do a good job of contrasting the two below.

Being Jewish is hard to define aswell. Some people call themselves Jewish because they were born into a Jewish family regardless of what they believe. I have seen this in America with many Christians. They say they are Christian, but that could mean they are American, go to church ocationally, go to church at christmas and easter or there parrents or grandparrents where christian.

I probably should have been more clear. I understand that there is a difference between being a Jew and a practicing Jew. I am more interested in the difference between the religions. I think at the core, when people say they are Christians that means they believe in the divinity of Jesus.

Generally a Jewish person would hold to the teaching of the Torah and the commentaries in the Talmud. Christians would generally hold to the Torah (OT) and the NT. Christians tend to focus on Jesus Christ and his teachings and his fullfilment of the law and prophets through his virgin birth, sinless life, atoning sacrifice and resurrection from the dead.

How are practicing Jews taught their religion. Are there Jewish schools? Are there requirements to learn yiddish or Arabic?

Jewish people tend to see the Torah as helping them live life here on earth in the now. Where the christian is more concerned with the here-after or life in heaven.

I have heard that and that seems to be a large difference. Do Jewish people believe their rewards for living a good life will happen on earth. What are your beliefs on the afterlife?

Jewish people tend to hold to the old holidays as given in the Torah, the Day of Tabernacles, the Passover, etc. where the Christian will celebrate Christmas (representing the birth of Christ) and Easter representing his death and resurrection.

Both Christians and Jews value Israel and the city of God, Jerusalem. This is because for the Christian, God has said many words concerning the blessing of Israel, Jerusalem and the Jewish people. Revelation even notes 'the new Jerusalem' as one of the final places of eternity.

I am not so certain of this one. As you said, many Christians have different views based on denominations and this point varies greatly by denomination. I certainly believe that All Christians value Jerusalem because of the birth of Jesus, but as I said that some Christians do not believe the Old Testament to be relevant because of the new testament and with that there are differing opinions on the value of Israel and what Israel really is...people, country or just a religion.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Allah is not the God of Abraham. Allah is the God refered to by the Muslims, by Mohamad when he invented his religion called Islam. If you look at the characteristics of Allah and Compare them to the God of the Jews and Christians you will find they are very different.

The Jews and Christians believe in the same God, God the Father. Both religions believe that a Messiah will come. Some Jews thought that Jesus was Messiah. Many left this when he was crucified. Many Jews thought that Judas Maccabee was the Messiah and there were others. Today some Rabbi's believe that a person from each generation can be the Messiah if they step into their destiny. From the Jews that I know, I do not think that many are looking for the Messiah to come. The Christians hold that Jesus is the Messiah and fullfilled all of the Law and Prophets concerning Messiah.

Both the Jews and the Christian believe that God is a spirit and that God has a spirit. However, the Jews believe that God is indivisible, one God. This is because of the Shma (Behold Oh Israel, the Lord is your God, the Lord alone (or the Lord one)). The Christians believe in the trinity of God, that God is one Unity of God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit. Concerning the Shma, Christian scholars say the word Echad used means "one unity" not "one indivisible". The same word Echad is used in scripture to describe Man and Woman being "one" flesh, that were married. The are individuals but united.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:19 AM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,288,097 times
Pretty much just subtleties in the way we deal with guilt and angst

Old 05-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Christianity is just a sect of Judaism. The founder Jesus Christ was a jew. All of the desciples are Jews. The first several thousand were Jews. The locals began to call those who followed Jesus Christ, Christians. The word Christians means "little Christs". The Jewish Christians remained in Jerusalem, until Peter had the vision from God that he must go tell a prominant Gentil the good news of the Christ. After this the Jews developed laws for the gentil to be a Christian. They did not require them to be circumcised like the Jews, but did require them some dietary laws, like not eating blood.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:35 AM

4,325 posts, read 3,383,338 times
There is no difference other that their beliefs. We are all God's children and until we all think the same way God does, there will always be seperation. You can't have peace if there is seperation.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
There is no difference other that their beliefs. We are all God's children and until we all think the same way God does, there will always be seperation. You can't have peace if there is seperation.
That is what the OP wants to find out the difference in the beliefs.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Allah is not the God of Abraham. Allah is the God refered to by the Muslims, by Mohamad when he invented his religion called Islam. If you look at the characteristics of Allah and Compare them to the God of the Jews and Christians you will find they are very different.

The Jews and Christians believe in the same God, God the Father. Both religions believe that a Messiah will come. Some Jews thought that Jesus was Messiah. Many left this when he was crucified. Many Jews thought that Judas Maccabee was the Messiah and there were others. Today some Rabbi's believe that a person from each generation can be the Messiah if they step into their destiny. From the Jews that I know, I do not think that many are looking for the Messiah to come. The Christians hold that Jesus is the Messiah and fullfilled all of the Law and Prophets concerning Messiah.

Both the Jews and the Christian believe that God is a spirit and that God has a spirit. However, the Jews believe that God is indivisible, one God. This is because of the Shma (Behold Oh Israel, the Lord is your God, the Lord alone (or the Lord one)). The Christians believe in the trinity of God, that God is one Unity of God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit. Concerning the Shma, Christian scholars say the word Echad used means "one unity" not "one indivisible". The same word Echad is used in scripture to describe Man and Woman being "one" flesh, that were married. The are individuals but united.
I don't have time to look up Abraham and Islam at the moment but I will look it up and get back to you.

Not all Christians believe in the trinity, although I think most probably do.

Of course, Jesus was born a Jew and most of his original followers were born Jewish and then became Jewish Christians so I can see why you would say that Christianity is a sect of Judaism; however, I would disagree, just my opinion. I think that Jesus taught of the new covenant, which I don't believe the Jews accept, which is why I think it is an entirely different religion, although I am sure some Christians would disagree.

"Today some Rabbi's believe that a person from each generation can be the Messiah if they step into their destiny." That is interesting. I have never heard that before. How do they step into their own destiny. What does that mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality