Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
It may be the most wisest thing but it did not teach you to be respectful of other people as they are having an interaction with each other.

Your contribution has nothing with the subjcet at discussion and the intent was not so much to ask get your opinion. The discussion between believers was the issue of JWs views of the 144,000 in the Bible.

Do you think that with your sarcastic wisdom quotes you are going to change people? For the sake of argument your tactics are not very wise at all. They are worthless and useless. They lack understanding of human nature and human behavior. A wiser individual would choose more effective tactics.

Look at you. You sent me an IM because you reacted to my first message addressing you. You actually got a taste of your own medicine and you did not like it. Well, hopefully you realize that, take care.
You are attempting to have an "honest" and "respectful" debate about pure, unadulterated jibberish. I am attempting to show you how inane it is.

Your discussion is like have a serious discussion about which model of the flying broom is better, from, say a safety or economy or comfort aspect, when at the core of it is the fact that there is no such thing as a flying broom, and you get all in a huff when someone wiser and not-deluded by the jibberish tries to tell you that you are having a "serious" discussion about something that doesn't even exists.

What would you think if a bunch of adults where having a serious discussion of the labor issues that exists in Santa's workshop on the north pole, and how that is affecting Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer? You would laugh at them, no doubt. You are no "better" for your "beliefs" are just as inane. It's just that you are so afraid that Santa Claus isn't going to give you your special gift "salvation", that you just can't see how silly it all is.

You are adults discussing jibberish as if it were factual and real, while insisting that you be treated with respect and dignity as you do so.

Last edited by jeffington; 06-03-2011 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
You are attempting to have an "honest" and "respectful" debate about pure, unadulterated jibberish. I am attempting to show you how inane it is.

Your discussion is like have a serious discussion about which model of the flying broom is better, from, say a safety or economy or comfort aspect, when at the core of it is the fact that there is no such thing as a flying broom, and you get all in a huff when someone wiser and not-deluded by the jibberish tries to tell you that you are having a "serious" discussion about something that doesn't even exists.

What would you think if a bunch of adults where having a serious discussion of the labor issues that exists in Santa's workshop on the north pole, and how that is affecting Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer? You would laugh at them, no doubt. You are no "better" for your "beliefs" are just as inane. It's just that you are so afraid that Santa Claus isn't going to give you your special gift "salvation", that you just can't see how silly it all is.

You are adults discussing jibberish as if it were factual and real, while insisting that you be treated with respect and dignity as you do so.
So OK, it is all giberish to you. So what? Big deal. Now, if adults want to talk about Santa and I saw it was a serious issue to them, I would have the respect for them to believe such thing. They are not affecting me in no other way. Also the difference being that for all practical purposes it is safe to say all adults know there is no Santa but not all adults believe there is no God. It is serious staff to them and for some wise butt to come and interject with wise cracks is not looked very well. I do not blame them.
There is such thing called civility. You seem to think that if someone believes in foolishness it is fine to insult because of it and show no respect for such beliefs and them. Now, do not confuse that with me implying I believe in restraining freedom of speech and expression, no way. I respect the right for people to act act foolish, stupid, be a jerk, etc. Nothing wrong with addressing it as you are addressing your points.
Jefferson, very wisely, said that it did not matter to him whether people believe in one or twenty gods. It did not affect his packet. He was not out there insulting or demeaning people for it. That is way intelligent and smart people that respect others do and get the same respect back whether they agree with them or not, take care.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
So OK, it is all giberish to you. So what? Big deal. Now, if adults want to talk about Santa and I saw it was a serious issue to them, I would have the respect for them to believe such thing. They are not affecting me in no other way. Also the difference being that for all practical purposes it is safe to say all adults know there is no Santa but not all adults believe there is no God. It is serious staff to them and for some wise butt to come and interject with wise cracks is not looked very well. I do not blame them.

There is such thing called civility. You seem to think that if someone believes in foolishness it is fine to insult because of it and show no respect for such beliefs and them. Now, do not confuse that with me implying I believe in restraining freedom of speech and expression, no way. I respect the right for people to act act foolish, stupid, be a jerk, etc. Nothing wrong with addressing it as you are addressing your points.

Jefferson, very wisely, said that it did not matter to him whether people believe in one or twenty gods. It did not affect his packet. He was not out there insulting or demeaning people for it. That is way intelligent and smart people that respect others do and get the same respect back whether they agree with them or not, take care.
I first got "militant" on this issue when I read an article that somebody at the Park HQ for the Grand Canyon objected and wanted removed books that discussed the origin of the grand canyon, and wanted it replaced with literature saying it was the result of the great flood (as if that ever happened).

Even today, people want ludicrous dogma such as "intelligent design" taught in schools as if it were science.

If it were just a bunch of fools sitting somewhere in their basement deceiving themselves "in a vacum" so to speak, or a bunch of kooks wearing Nike shoes and ending their own lives peacefully and safely (as far as the public is concerned) it would be okay, but they want society to recognize their fable as fact. It is well past time to put the "Santa Claus" book away, and look to fact as truth instead of fable as truth.

Do you realize that even today, some people object to the teaching of the law of evolution in school? Intellectual Luddites.

And as long as they keep saying publically and most-arrogantly that the only way to be saved is to accept the dead guy as your "saviour", I will just as vocally, just as adamantely speak the truth, your intimidation and name-calling notwithstanding.

I will NOT be intimidated by you or anyone, so you can stop your bullying.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:20 PM

222 posts, read 472,871 times
Quote:

Excellent!

Although I must warn you that I am the Devil and you are doing my works

Old 06-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I first got "militant" on this issue when I read an article that somebody at the Park HQ for the Grand Canyon objected and wanted removed books that discussed the origin of the grand canyon, and wanted it replaced with literature saying it was the result of the great flood (as if that ever happened).

Even today, people want ludicrous dogma such as "intelligent design" taught in schools as if it were science.

If it were just a bunch of fools sitting somewhere in their basement deceiving themselves "in a vacum" so to speak, or a bunch of kooks wearing Nike shoes and ending their own lives peacefully and safely (as far as the public is concerned) it would be okay, but they want society to recognize their fable as fact. It is well past time to put the "Santa Claus" book away, and look to fact as truth instead of fable as truth.

Do you realize that even today, some people object to the teaching of the law of evolution in school? Intellectual Luddites.

And as long as they keep saying publically and most-arrogantly that the only way to be saved is to accept the dead guy as your "saviour", I will just as vocally, just as adamantely speak the truth, your intimidation and name-calling notwithstanding.

I will NOT be intimidated by you or anyone, so you can stop your bullying.
Bullying! That is a good one by someone calling himself being militant! Intimidation? How so?! I simply say the action and how it affects other people. Did I threatened you in any way? NO. Did I affect your pay? NO. Did I coerce you? NO. I can go on and on so where is this percieve intimidation? In your mind.

As far as the example you provide you can read on the other thread that also alludes to the example of you mention. The other thread used the word duped. I can't remember the exact title of the OP.
In general terms I am with you in those examples. I am not a militant. I do address the specific examples and disagree with them but to labe a whole group is no different than any other type of stereotype. What it shows is that you cannot or do not want to be objective and address the issue where it needs to be addressed. It is easier to simply label a whole group of people, many who are very good citizens helping people in society. You focus on the bad and ignore the good that many people that believe in God do out there because the love God.
You bunch me up in the whole group because I believe in God. It does not matter to you that I as many thousands of others do good out there. You ignore that. It does not matter that I am a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) on behalf of abused and neglected children or that I volunteer twice a month to be on call as sexual assault and rape victim advocate by going to the hospital and give support to those victims. Open up your eyes and see those that do good in the name of God. As I said I decided to believe in God but I do not believe in the Bible, Jesus, and do not pray at all. So I do what I do because that is what I love to do. But to you all the good I may do is irrelevant. All you can see is that I believe in God, take care.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Bullying! That is a good one by someone calling himself being militant! Intimidation? How so?! I simply say the action and how it affects other people. Did I threatened you in any way? NO. Did I affect your pay? NO. Did I coerce you? NO. I can go on and on so where is this percieve intimidation? In your mind.

As far as the example you provide you can read on the other thread that also alludes to the example of you mention. The other thread used the word duped. I can't remember the exact title of the OP.
In general terms I am with you in those examples. I am not a militant. I do address the specific examples and disagree with them but to labe a whole group is no different than any other type of stereotype. What it shows is that you cannot or do not want to be objective and address the issue where it needs to be addressed. It is easier to simply label a whole group of people, many who are very good citizens helping people in society. You focus on the bad and ignore the good that many people that believe in God do out there because the love God.
You bunch me up in the whole group because I believe in God. It does not matter to you that I as many thousands of others do good out there. You ignore that. It does not matter that I am a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) on behalf of abused and neglected children or that I volunteer twice a month to be on call as sexual assault and rape victim advocate by going to the hospital and give support to those victims. Open up your eyes and see those that do good in the name of God. As I said I decided to believe in God but I do not believe in the Bible, Jesus, and do not pray at all. So I do what I do because that is what I love to do. But to you all the good I may do is irrelevant. All you can see is that I believe in God, take care.
OK, I will take your statements as true with no hesitation. You are a good person.

You can believe in God, if you want.

What would you say if I wore on my sleeve my belief in the only true God of the Universe is Madame Pele`, and said repeatedly that the only way to avoid the hell of eternal lavafications was to accept Pele` as your personal saviour?

I suspect you would treat me as a fool, as I would be.

Your beliefs are no less foolish.

BTW I never said I was militant, I said I was "militant" - big difference. You can substitute the term "actively engaged in the field of" if you wish.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Is it really true that only 144,000 people are able to enter the Kingdom of Heaven?

Well, if you're gonna believe in fairy tales, ya might as well make up arbitrary numbers to go along with it.
DANG! I was hoping to see how that whole Jihad/Intafada/Osama Bin Laden/73 dead virgins thing worked out!!!!!!!!
"My God is better than your God! Nananana!"

Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
DANG! I was hoping to see how that whole Jihad/Intafada/Osama Bin Laden/73 dead virgins thing worked out!!!!!!!!
"My God is better than your God! Nananana!"
Simmer down now, or I will have the only true god of the Universe hose you down with a fountain of lava, and I don't mean soap.

All glory to Madame Pele`, true goddess of the Universe, and all things molten!!!!!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
OK, I will take your statements as true with no hesitation. You are a good person.

You can believe in God, if you want.

What would you say if I wore on my sleeve my belief in the only true God of the Universe is Madame Pele`, and said repeatedly that the only way to avoid the hell of eternal lavafications was to accept Pele` as your personal saviour?

I suspect you would treat me as a fool, as I would be.

Your beliefs are no less foolish.

BTW I never said I was militant, I said I was "militant" - big difference. You can substitute the term "actively engaged in the field of" if you wish.
Thanks for the reply. If you tell me that you believe in Madame Pele, go for it. In do have the tact to not put you down in front of others or insult you in any manner. I would react if you are trying to impose those beliefs on me. There is where I have a problem. There is where you and I would differ. I would not treat you as a fool. Your beliefs to me are irrelevant. What is more relevant to me is how you are as a human being. I respect an atheist a lot more if he is out there doing good for the people than the religiouse hypocrite praying all day and doing nothing for those in the community as I have seen them.
As far as the militant term I guess it is a matter of semantics and thanks foor the clarification, take care.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Guy View Post
Excellent!

Although I must warn you that I am the Devil and you are doing my works
Bloody Hell!!!

It Butlins by the Sea still around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality