U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,469 posts, read 6,022,272 times
Reputation: 3476

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You want to know what I do find "questioning"? Why would any self-professed atheist waste their time trying to so adamantly disprove a God they don't believe in, in the first place? Or, is it deep down inside, you don't really believe that? Just curious? Are you unconsciously seeking?
Some people play video games, some people do crossword puzzles...some people post on message boards. Time wasters come in all forms, some more entertaining than others, and debating rabid Christians can be pretty darned amusing-- particularly when the other options are either laundry or algebra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,469 posts, read 6,022,272 times
Reputation: 3476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Answer the question. Why do you so adamantly trying to disprove a God you don't believe in anyway?


I'm not trying to prove He exist, it's not a theory, it's a FACT!


Look at a newborn baby..........are'nt they so beautiful?
Frankly, IME most of them look like Edward G Robinson or ET. And what does that have to do with your invisible friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 13,214,348 times
Reputation: 14726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Frankly, IME most of them look like Edward G Robinson or ET. And what does that have to do with your invisible friend?
That may be true, but Ed was a better dresser.

http://theclassicbigscreengangster.us/gng/edwardg2oa.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 AM
 
152 posts, read 270,283 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Who on here, here on C.D., have never heard of Jesus Christ, and what's your excuse? TALK TO ME.!!

So many threads asking: "Well what if someone have never heard the name of Jesus Christ before... What happens to them"?

But I ASK YOU..".You've HEARD, What's your excuse"?
Besty I have posted this question to you many times regarding other beliefs. The only response I've received is "Why do you keep posting leave us alone"

So lets phrase your question in a different manner; again.

"How many of you have never heard of Yaweh (being specific the God of the Jews), Buddha, Mohamed, Thor, and so on. What is your excuse Betsey? TALK TO ME!!"

Have you really analyzed your faith to the same degree of predispositions you do others? All other faiths you seem to automatically disregard because they are "Clearly wrong, misguided, not the one truth." But do you really understand what you are saying? Don't you see that others apply your same logic to your own faith and also come out with the outcome that it is absurd/misguided?

What is different from the faith of a non-chrisian to that of a Christian? In general (I hate generalizations) the "true" believer of that faith completely give themselves up to their God. They believe with all their mind, soul, and heart that what the believe is true to the code. Of course you may believe you're correct... however in no way does that make the others wrong.

There has to be some type of verifiable evidence (that doesn't require blind faith) which makes one view more viable than the other; otherwise God has made your salvation akin to throwing a dice... However from my experience all major religions say that there is this undeniable truth... yet if a non-believe doesn't see it they are accused to be blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
3,998 posts, read 4,841,750 times
Reputation: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Because I know the truth!

What evidence do you have that proves your beliefs are true? I'm not talking about sunsets, clouds, grass or arguments based on personal biases. Evidence comes from what has been proven through the scientific method. Also, why do you think you know that Jesus is the one true way? Do you have any evidence which empirically verifies that Jesus is the one true way. Another flaw in your argument is that you assume to know that your religion is the 'one true way,' yet you have no evidence to substantiate your religious beliefs. Also, why do you believe in Jesus but not Allah? It is more than likely because you were born in the West where christianity is the dominant religion. If you were born in ancient Greece then you would be believing in the Greek pantheon of deities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 10,950,521 times
Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You want to know what I do find "questioning"? Why would any self-professed atheist waste their time trying to so adamantly disprove a God they don't believe in, in the first place? Or, is it deep down inside, you don't really believe that? Just curious? Are you unconsciously seeking?
Actually, what i find more interesting and questionable is that people who are so seemingly sure of themselves often have such a compulsive need to prove to others (really to themselves) that they are "right" and to "adamantly" insist that others believe as they believe.
If you were truly at peace with yourself and your way, you would be able to relax and trust and be quiet and not feel driven to convince others to be and see just like you.
You started this thread .... challenging people who perceive differently.
Why do you waste your time?

Last edited by coyoteskye; 09-13-2009 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2009, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,469 posts, read 6,022,272 times
Reputation: 3476
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Actually, what i find more interesting and questionable is that people who are so seemingly sure of themselves often have such a compulsive need to prove to others (really to themselves) that they are "right" and to "adamantly" insist that others believe as they believe.
If you were truly at peace with yourself and your way, you would be able to relax and trust and be quiet and not feel driven to convince others to be and see just like you.
You started this thread .... challenging people who perceive differently.
Why do you waste your time?

Absolutely. Why isn't faith enough for the people who swear they have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 07:38 PM
 
205 posts, read 203,199 times
Reputation: 48
Aconite if you can create THE SUNRISE OR THE SKY TURN THE EARTH ON IT'S AXIS OR PREVENT METEORITES FROM HITTING US AND CREATE ALL THE GREEN INCLUDING THE ATMOSPHERE AND THE OCEANS AND ALL LIVING THINGS THEN HELL YOU DON'T NEED A SAVIOR !!!!! LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU DO IT, I WILL FOLLOW YOU MY MOMMA DIDN'T RAISE A FOOL. If you are going to create a religion to go along with the many then it better make sense the only one that makes total sense is an arbitrator between us simple humans and an entity that created all this and us. It doesn't make since to me that we can just go right up to him and start a conversation with our numerous flaws and his perfection what amazes me no other religion does that, they all think they can just be with him simply because he created us. In the end after this short time on this earth we will see who gets to spend eternity with him and who is condemned by him. Now I know how to get to the questions ask anything you want about God...Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 PM
 
205 posts, read 203,199 times
Reputation: 48
Boy you hit the nail on the head that is exactly what I feel peace and tranquility. Unfortunately most Christians don't feel the same because they are into emotionalism and think they can actually do something for God. Good example Christians think they are going to change the US by their vote and who they put in office. Well has anything changed??? We are in the same boat even worse now none of the rich congressman care about us I don't care if the say democrat or republican let us tell the truth LIar and liar who is the biggest. Look at who we have in there he says well things will get worse for they get better and then takes off in air force one and spends tons of money while people are out of a job. The Christians never figure out that when you put your trust in a man you are a fool. They need to pull a dollar bill out of their wallet and look at the words that were put on there before any of today were born in GOD WE TRUST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 07:59 PM
 
205 posts, read 203,199 times
Reputation: 48
Ag soldier What evidence do you have in science gravity why is it here? Why aren't we just floating in the air like the other planets??? Why do we have air to breath why and where did the sun come from? How big is the universe and why are all the planets in our orbit?What makes them stay together in line what cause the earth to rotate answer these questions agnostic with your science. Then we will get into more deailed questions why does the human brain work and how does it store more information then the biggest HD we will ever make. Here is a good one for all you want to be agnostics how come everything that is in the Bible has came true in history not one thing hasn't come true. Example they teach you that we came for apes then Darwin was an idiot the neandathal man was a deformed pig. every history event in the Bible has came true. There is your science and never has one person proved it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top